Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Glynis T
Auckland Central, New Zealand

Beautiful setting

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Jul 19, 2021
Lovely warm, convenient rooms with excellent views of the mountains, lake and jet boat travels. E Bike hire was very convenient or water taxi very near. Clean rooms with all amenities. It was nice to be on the sunny side of the lake and have a different view. Coronet Peak was stunning at night to look at lit up.
Date of stay: July 2021
    C$198
7.2 km from DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Queenstown
View more hotels in Queenstown
1,625 results
All reviews double tree water taxi lake view wakatipu grill small kitchen separate bedroom bathroom floor short drive living area milford sound town lakeview
Selected filters
Reviewed July 18, 2021

Traveled as a couple and expected a nice stay but won’t return.
The welcome was awful
Not at all like the tv show in the room perhaps even the exact opposite.
Silly procedures at the front desk more interested in taking extra money than perhaps creating a relationship to remember the reception person was not someone to have at a kiwi experience
Sad really

Date of stay: July 2021
Reviewed June 8, 2021

It is always disappointing when a hotel does not live up to usual service standard of a brand name or the service promised as part of a full service hotel. Regrettably for our party of four with two rooms over the Queen’s Birthday long weekend the Hilton Doubletree Queenstown fell considerably short of the usual Hilton standard.

Hilton state on the Doubletree part of their internet site “ At DoubleTree by Hilton, we've taken great care to cultivate hotels that are as warm and welcoming as our signature chocolate chip cookie and as grounded as our guests. We understand the importance of delivering what's expected, yet we never forget the opportunity to create the delight that comes from experiencing a touch of the unexpected. The way we think, work, and care for our guests through our unique CARE Culture is our way of bringing to life our personality, our products and our purpose as a brand, to set ourselves apart. It's also a rare opportunity to create a business environment where the core mission is to find ways to make each day a more rewarding for every person who encounters and experiences a DoubleTree by Hilton hotel.”
This was not our experience.

To contextualize my comments, both my wife and I are Hilton Honors Diamond members who have stayed in many many Hilton properties of various types throughout the world. Usually, the Doubletree although not at the level of the Conrad or Hilton, nevertheless offers a very high standard of service for a full service hotel. This one did not.

The Queenstown Doubletree is currently being run almost on remote control from the nearby Hilton Hotel. The reception of the Doubletree was closed for the majority of our stay with no staff present – it is serviced by phone from the Hilton. What concerns me is that with no staff present on the site anyone can walk in and access the hotel as surprisingly the lifts are not locked by keycard.

On arrival in our room the singular lounge chair was broken (see picture). It took some time for this to be replaced. The bathroom began filling up with bubbles most mornings as the water from the shower re-emerged from the floor drain in a sea of bubbles (see photo) . The door to the bathroom had lost the knob to enable locking of the door (see photo) so make sure you are staying with a good friend.

What concerned me most was on the Saturday of our stay we left our room about 10:30am and returned at 4.30pm to see our door ajar with a cleaning cloth holding the door open at the bottom (see photo). The house cleaning staff had attended the room and had failed to secure our room. This is simply not acceptable and to me indicates insufficient management oversight as there does not appear to be any on site.

Our room did not see a vacuum cleaner from the time we moved in on the Thursday until I brought the matter to the attention of the Duty Manager (from the Hilton not the Doubletree – see below) on the Saturday evening. The evidence of this was the splinters of wood from the broken chair still on the carpet. The Duty Manager agreed with me that the cleaning of the bathroom was not to the Hilton standard.
The usual niceties such as water bottles in the room were not replenished daily and again was a demonstration of little attention to detail. Forget using the supplied tea towels, the dishes looked worse after using them. Tip for hotel: They need replacing.

Breakfast is available at the Hilton Hotel not the Doubletree. The internet site advertises a pool and concierge. I saw no staff for concierge and in terms of the pool the only pool I saw was at the Hilton not the Doubletree and my room key could not access it. If the Doubletree has its own pool no staff member described it (or any other facility the Doubletree offers)

In summary, the Doubletree is being run on a shoestring budget in terms of staff and services being present and available, using as a few staff as possible with service being provided by the across and down the road Hilton Hotel including breakfast. It is a very poor imitation at the moment of a Hilton Doubletree and I do not recommend it.

Despite my comments, Mr Prem Comboz the Duty Manager who attended my room after it had been left insecure was a manager in the true Hilton style who did what he could to make it right and I appreciated that. Once again though, he had to come from the Hilton Hotel as the Doubletree does not have a Duty Manager it seems. He confirmed that reception is trying to be managed from the Hilton Hotel.

Not having a staff member at reception/checkin all the time is totally unacceptable for a full-service hotel -nobody there to assist guests and no-one to ask a question of or get some help. You might expect that at a $25 cheap hotel, but not a full-service hotel in the Hilton Group. For our four day stay coming and going numerous times I saw a staff member at the desk no more than twice. On our arrival there was no acknowledgement that we were Diamond members and little information provided about facilities. Certainly no offer of any assistance with bags and suitcases, but how could they, there appeared to be only one staff member in the facility.

My suggestion to the Management team that run both the Hilton and the Doubletree is do it right or don’t do it at all. If current occupancy is making running two hotels difficult, then close the Doubletree – you are doing enormous brand damage to yourselves and the Hilton Group in general. A review of the values statement that I included at the beginning of this post “CARE” would be a good start.

In rating this hotel for what it is supposed to be, a full-service hotel, I was inclined to give it one star only. The propping open of my room door with a cleaning cloth and leaving it like that really is pretty unforgivable for a worldwide hotel establishment such as Hilton. It really was so considerably short of all our other experiences with the Hilton Group. I have lifted my rating to 2 stars as I found the Duty Manager a helpful gentleman who did his best to restore the Hilton image. I fear he really is fighting against the odds unless a management rethink is given to running the hotel properly.

Room tip: Views of the lake are very nice
Date of stay: June 2021
2  Thank tranzactnow
Reviewed May 9, 2021

A wonderful location and special slice of paradise in beautiful Queenstown. The vista, lake and access to walks and abundant recreation was on point.
More New Zealanders' should be taking the opportunity to tour our top tourist destinations and support the NZ economy!

Date of stay: May 2021
Reviewed May 5, 2021

What a staff! "My booked room was not ready yet when I entered after check-in and a staff said "Oh we upgrade your room" but it was down graded" And cups were not washed properly. There was tea stain inside. There were selling water bottles but it seemed they have been there for a long time.

Date of stay: April 2021
Reviewed April 27, 2021

I arrived at 9.15pm. No one in reception but there was a sign says if you need any front assistance please dial 9. Called the first time for 2 minutes no body answered, then I called the second time someone answered and said they will send a staff come to check me in. Waited for 5 minutes a Indian man came. Wasn't very nice and welcoming, no any smile during the check in process. The room was clean and nice. However no free WiFi!!! My god can't believe it's already the year 2021 a four star hotel even no free WiFi provided. Very disappointing experience and would not recommend to anybody.

Date of stay: April 2021