“A fabulous day out combining art and sightseeing”
Review of Art Adventures

Art Adventures
Ranked #114 of 176 Tours in Queenstown
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Tour with Art Adventures and discover the essence of New Zealand art by visiting artist studios', regional dealer galleries, lunching at local vineyards, and taste award wining wines.Discover your creativity in spectacular scenery while our professional tutors guide you in your own masterpiece. We provide everything and the materials are yours to keep. With Art Adventures everyday is different.
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I was a little apprehensive about booking a day out sketching as I am very much a beginner (not having done very much art since secondary school), but I was looking to learn some new skills and how to use a view finder so I could practice sketching on my next holiday, and generally improve how I depict on paper what I see. I needn't have worried as Alice is very friendly and put me at ease immediately; with her dive-straight-in approach I was sketching straight away in the most stunning surroundings. I was very impressed with the whole operation - Alice has thought of everything and provides a very professional package from the pristine luxurious transportation to the cute sketching book and art case (both perfect to travel with) including quality watercolour pencils perfectly chosen to reflect the colours of the surrounding area. Lunch was delicious and as we were in yet another stunning location it was a "working" one, so no time was wasted. I felt the day was tailored to me and I was suitably challenged. I would recommend Art Adventures unreservedly and only wish I had planned in advance and booked a two-day course! Thank you, Alice.

1  Thank Travelikins
ArtAdventuresnz, Owner at Art Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Thank you for such a great review! I am thrilled you enjoyed yourself, please keep up the sketching. I would love a photo of some new sketches in the future to see how you are improving ....thanks again and all the best. Alice

Reviewed February 16, 2013

A brilliant and memorable 1/2 day in Queenstown. My husband and I did this together and it was simply a delight to spend quality time focussing on the beauty, colours and forms of the stunning Queenstown landscape. Megan is a fabulous tutor. Her instruction was beautifully pitched and perfect for both novice and experienced sketchers. I was most impressed by the way she and Alice give their feedback and encouragement and how the whole experience provides such an enourmous boost in creative confidence for everyone. The sketching kit and carefully selected water colour pencils are first class. A highly recommended activity.

ArtAdventuresnz, Owner at Art Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Thank you so much for the review we really appreciate it there has been a big gap since the last one so it looks as though we are still in business! speak soon xx

Reviewed December 27, 2012

The thought of 2 days on a painting course( I have trouble with straight lines and stick figures!)wasn't my ideal start to our NZ holidays but my wife was keen so i thought why not give it a try.
Alice proved to be a wonderful teacher - extremely skillful but also relaxed and at all times ensuring we enjoyed our experience. My initial misgivings were very quickly forgotten as we delved into the fun and mysteries of using pastels. And surprise surprise at the end of 2 wonderful days I had a couple of drawings that I was very proud of. We visited some wonderful locations (in the very luxurious Art Adventures van) and the little things were always taken care of such as water and toilets plus the big things such as great local food - all included in our tour. We are past the adrenalin adventures that Queenstown is renown for but this is one adventure that we would return for. Thanks Alice

ArtAdventuresnz, Owner at Art Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2012

Thank you so much for giving me a review it means such a lot to me at this stage. I will be in touch in the New Year re joining you both to draw in the Bungle Bungles, speak soon. Happy New Year! Alice

Reviewed December 24, 2012

My husband and I really enjoyed our two days with Alice. We were both brand new to pastels but ended up creating a few pieces that really surprised us. Alice is a skilled teacher-she guides without being overbearing. She allows a person to experiment without feeling self-conscious. It was challenging and relaxing at the same time. I have continued to try pastel drawing since the classes and am still enjoying it. What a wonderful way to focus on the beautiful scenery around us!

ArtAdventuresnz, Owner at Art Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Nancy

Thank you for your review, it is good to get feedback on my teaching. Maurice sent me a picture of stones that you did at Stewart - I was really impressed, well done! I will be in touch re coming out your way soon, once the new calendar is pinned up on the wall.

Thank you once again and Happy New Year.

See more reviews
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I have tried a lot of different visitor experiences but this was one of the most interesting, inspirational and fun. And I am so keen to take my sketch book (moleskin) with me on my travels from now on.
Alice and Megan picked us up and whisked us to the picturesque town of St Bathans where we commenced our art adventure. A southerly storm complete with sleet hit just as we arrived. Not to be daunted we began our afternoon with a short lesson from the very talented artist and tutor Megan Huffadine in the historic Vulcan Hotel. We left the cosy warmth of the hotel and headed for the first of two historic churches and our venture into sketching. Megan and Alice helped us to see magic in the most mundane. Megan suggested a number of "limbering" up sketching techniques which I found initially challenging and ultimately inspiring. Alice was always on hand to offer a wealth of quiet but "on the button" advice. She also took care of our physical needs on such a cold day with handouts of tartan rugs and and at the end a delicious spread with hot drinks back in the hotel.
Both skilled artists, Alice and Megan are passionate about what they do and most importantly have the ability to impart their extensive knowledge. I have had some training in the past but my drawing had become tight and constricted over time. Megan's approach moved these boundaries and I found my drawing loosening up and taking on a new and much more spontaneous feel. I highly recommend Art Adventures equally to the novice and the more experienced.

KokongaDot

ArtAdventuresnz, Owner at Art Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

Thank you for your review! I felt humbled that you - being such an accomplished artist yourself, had the ability to open up and take on board others advise. I was really impressed that you came along and gave us 'a go'. Not many artists of your ability would be as open and willing as you, I think it says a lot about you as a person. Thank you it meant a lot to us to have your company.