“Great views, good for large groups”

Heritage Queenstown
Ranked #23 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Great views, good for large groups”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

This hotel is located away from the little tourist town of Queenstown and its shopping and beaches.
Located on a hill, most of the rooms have a great view of the nearby hill peaks.

However, while the hotel rooms are reasonably spacious, and many different types of views to choose from : lake and forest views, the hotel itself lacks amenities. The pool is small and the gymnasium areas are even smaller, and most of the food can only be found at the main bar lounge area and dining hall, where most breakfasts are served. The rest of the hotel are dedicated to conference and meeting facilities.

Service is average, but the hotel does have good self service laundry and drying facilities, even a skier equipment drying room. Food served is above average, and the breakfast fare is quite normal fare (would have been nice if they varied the choices each day, instead of the same food for 3 or 5 days in a row).

There is a free bus service which runs from the bus stop in the front of the hotel every 30 mins, which takes you to the downtown Queenstown Mall which is 10 mins away. Return trips are from the same location. Hotel is recommended as a good start off point, if you decide to rent a car or caravan, as there is ample parking (even covered parking at the basement of the hotel)

Room Tip: Ask for the high floors facing the lake views. There are 3 blocks to choose from
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Heritage_Queenstown, General Manager at Heritage Queenstown, responded to this review, 22 April 2012
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Heritage Queenstown.

Please be aware that I have discussed your feedback regarding the hotel service and food & beverage with the relevant heads of department. As a result we have conducted refresher training for all line staff and reviewed our breakfast buffet in detail.

Once again, thank you for your feedback I do hope that we have an opportunity to welcome you back in the near future. This will allow us an opportunity to show you the level of service that we pride ourselves on and one would expect from Heritage Queenstown.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

I rang the Heritage, very close to Easter, hardly expecting a room to be available. I asked for something cheap and cheerful and they were able to provide us with a simple, clean, tidy room. For only $129 a night in a peak season we were definitely pleased with what we got.
Fantastic service.
The only disappointment was the judging of the Easter Colouring Competition. After putting in a lot of effort my 9 year old had her nose put right out of joint as it appeared, going by the winning entry, that it was drawn out of a hat rather than based on artistic flair. She tried to appease herself with the ample Easter Eggs available at reception, but in this politically correct world, I guess true competition might mean someone's feelings get hurt huh! :)

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Heritage Queenstown.

I am sorry to hear that your daughter did not win the colouring in competition. I have discussed the draw with the Restaurant Manager to see if we are able to amend in anyway for the future.

Dunedin, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in this hotel over Easter 2012. We enjoyed our stay except for the bed. It was soft at the edges and past its use by date I think. We woke every morning feeling as though we had slept on a marshmellow. Was it enough to stop us coming back to this hotel? Yes - probably. Shame really because it has some real nice features. It is close to Queenstown (a lovely 20 minute lakeside walk to all the shops and restaurants), was quiet, had good underground parking and the staff were great. But the bed!!!!!! Please Mr Hotel Manager - fix it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the lake
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Heritage Queenstown.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the poor sleep experienced during your stay. I am pleased to advise that we are in the midst of finalising a mock up room with plans for a hotel refurbishment by the end of the year.

Once again, thank you for your feedback I do hope that we have an opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

We stayed here two separate nights. The first lake view room on the 4th floor had a tiny deck.
The 3rd floor was much better. The view was amazing!!!!! And what we wanted.

I think the thing that let it down the most was the TV - old has-beens. no flat screens here!!!!
The TV was low in a cabinet and could only be watched from the bed - sitting up really. I did mention this at reception and they said they were in the process of upgrading.

The spa was great but there were too many people the 2nd night.

The chairs in the dining room were filthy!!!!! Not acceptable!!!!

A very old dated establishment - but had a warm feel about it. The beds were very comfy and the bathrooms were a decent size.

The guy at the bar struggled with no change in the till and having to go to the other till to use epftpos - on Easter weekend this was a little strange, I thought.

The buffet breakfast was impressive - but the mushrooms looked dry and horrible - and my husband confirmed that when he had some.

The location was ok - a little bit of a walk to town or you could catch the connect bus - but take note this is NOT complimentary, as we were led to believe!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lynley M
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Heritage Queenstown. Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I was most concerned to learn of the problems you experienced during your stay, particularly with regard to the level of decor and the poor dining experience. Please be assured that I have discussed your concerns with the Executive Chef. As a result we have conducted a review of our breakfast buffet, and have introduced a number of improvements. With regards to the décor of the room, we are in the midst of finalising a mock up room with plans for a hotel refurbishment by the end of the year.

USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

This is a nicely located hotel, but unfortunately has a lot of big groups that seem to overwhelm the staff at times.
At breakfast it si very unpleasant and has a zoo-like atmosphere with guests heaping food on their plates a sif there is no tmrw. Staff also does not keep up with cleaning the tables and food is at best mediocre.
The rooms have great views but sorely miss airconditioning when you have one in the top floor. It is so hot in summer you cannot sleep and when you leave the doors open the moscitos have the better of you.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business

I was most concerned to learn of the problems you experienced during your stay, particularly with regard to the poor dining experience and lack of airconditioning. Please be assured that I have discussed your concerns with the Executive Chef and Restaurant Manager. As a result we have conducted a review of our breakfast buffet, and have introduced a number of improvements. With regard to the lack of air conditioning, whilst we do not have this facility in the hotel, we do offer fans to all guests. I do apologise that this was not the case during your stay.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

The heritage seems to have not moved on from the last time i stayed here many years ago. the rooms while clean and tidy needed to be brought up to date with new fittings carpet and colours to make them modern looking. The restaurant and bar was the same with a 90s look to it all. Its location is now a disadvantage being too far to walk to all the night action etc in the main tourist district. the outside is nicely landscaped and the staff very friendly but english for some seems a problem. I will be at one of the others next time.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Mike P
Heritage_Queenstown, General Manager at Heritage Queenstown, responded to this review, 2 April 2012

I was most concerned to learn of the problems you experienced during your stay, particularly with regard to the level of disappointment with the hotel décor. I am pleased to advise that we are in the midst of finalising a mock up room with plans for a hotel refurbishment in the second quarter of next year.

Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

We stayed at the Heritage for 4 days/3 nights. First, I would like to say that the staff was just wonderful, polite and most accommodating. There are 2 areas to stay, either the hotel itself or the villas across the street near overlooking the lake. I would recommend the villas. They are beautifully decorated, very contemporary and wonderful views. I made the mistake of staying at the main hotel, not knowing what I was in for. After our complaints, the wonderful staff offered to change us to a villa at no additional cost; however, we had older people with bad knees so we didn't want them to have to go up and down the stairs in the villa from the bedrooms to the main floors since there are 2 floors in the villas.
The hotel part was not what I perceived it to be from the reviews I have read or the website itself. I was completely surprised by the hotel's interior aesthetics and comfortability, given that this is supposed to be rated a 4-star hotel. Grant it, I know that it is a small, resort town; however, this was very very disappointing. I travel a great deal for business, so I am very aware of what to expect. The lobby was a typical looking lodge, nothing special, but nothing terrible. The main hotel area is very dated (over 20 years old, in fact).
1. The rooms' carpets' were filthy with dingy large spots everywhere as if dogs were running around.
2. There were gnats flying around in the bathroom.
3. The couch had knife-like tears in it.
4. Not that I am there to watch TV all day; however, it would be nice NOT to have to sit 6 feet in front of the TV in order to see it because of the small size. I didn't even think anyone had tube TV's any more in hotels.
5. The bed was at an angle with the feet higher than the head part and appeared to be only one mattress that was like sleeping on a box. Sooooo uncomfortable that I didn't sleep for the 3 nights I was there.
6. To top it off, the restaurant dining room, the chairs (90% of them) were filthy and torn. I have never seen any place where the chairs were that filthy. Unbelievable. Kids' chairs are not that dirty.
I do not blame the staff at all for the hotel's failure to maintain; I blame the company who owns it.
So, if you come to Heritage, stay in the villas and not the main hotel.

Room Tip: Choose the villas and not the main hotel if staying here.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family