“My favorite of the three "tiger" lodges”
Review of Matakauri Lodge

Matakauri Lodge
Ranked #3 of 58 Hotels in Queenstown
Hong Kong, China
“My favorite of the three "tiger" lodges”
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Wow what a find!  Matakauri is a beautiful little lodge with a front row seat view of the serene Wakatipu lake & the Remarkables Mountain range.  Arrived on a nice warm sunny afternoon with the sapphire blue and turquoise lake shimmering like gemstones, and left on a cooler morning but with spectacular snow capped mountains!  I liked the Farm at Cape Kidnappers & Kauri Cliffs but I immediately fell in love with this place! my room also had an amazing view of the lake and as soon as I saw the place decided it would be very difficult to leave the lodge, ever.  Got to watch beautiful sunrises and sunsets, enjoy the best tasting menus, work out at the gym while enjoying the jaw dropping views....everything was just so perfect here....
Fortunately the hotel is just a short drive to all the attractions of Queenstown, I liked Arrowtown that felt frozen in time, the  quintessentially Queenstown bungee jump, horse trekking through LOTR landscape around Moke Lake.     Unfortunately the Milford Sound Flight was cancelled due to weather conditions but heh, I do need an excuse to come back to Matakauri.

The staff here were hospitable and service here was excellent: I left the room safe opened one night prior to dinner,  left an envelope of NZD on the desk another day, and both times not a dime went missing! Sent my jeans to the laundry and they even fixed a (belt loop) tear on my beloved jeans proactively.   On my last day ordered my soy latte and decided to pop back in my room to pick up something, the staff showed up outside my room with my coffee to see if I decided to eat in my room instead....

In sum, my favorite of the three tiger lodges.

• Stayed January 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2011

We arrived Christmas eve and stayed 4 nights in the gorgeous Lodge Suites overlooking Lake Wakatipu. The views are exceptional - the Lodge has the most stunning location. Food (Jonathan Rogers is the chef) is delicious and menu changes each night. Very flexible with the children's food. Staff so welcoming, unstuffy but incredibly kind and helpful. We loved every minute and didn't want to leave....

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 December 2011

A beautiful location, wonderful food and service. The only complaint is that our stay wasnt long enough

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 5 September 2011

We booked Matakauri months before we arrived. The service was perfect for us.
We even compared with all other great hotels that we ever stayed, and still Matakauri is top notch. The staffs were genuinely helpful.

The Hotel:
Location is a bit secluded, which i like. Not too far from the downtown. Perfect scenery, perfect set, very nice architectural design. Staffs once again couldnt get any better than that. Pricey but at the end, worth to try if you able to afford. Way to go guys... Aaron, Ian, i forgot the girl's name who helped us arranging all the skiing stuffs. You are all great there.

The Room:
Very well designed, well appointed, view is stunning wherever you sit. From the moment you wake up til dawn, the view is crazy. I like being in the terrace and the daybed in front of the TV. Very soothing...

The Food:
We tried the breakfast and dinner there. Breakfast was very personal. They will try to accommodate anything you want.
The dinner, we tried the chef's tasting menu. It was great. Good job...

Overall, i loved my stay here. I wish i could go back again... Dunno when...

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Suryo W
New Plymouth, New Zealand
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We very much enjoyed our three night visit to Matakauri, perfect place to escape the winter blues whilst staying in the snow.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed 13 August 2011

We had 5 days of absolute Queenstown magic staying at Matakauri Lodge. We have now stayed at the 3 Robertson owned lodges in New Zealand. Matakauri is our favourite. The room was spacious, the views were panoramic and probably comparable to the best anywhere in the world. The standard of the lodge is truly 5 star. The service was personal, helpful, friendly non intrusive. The food was unbelievable, and after 5 days, non repetitive. The wine matched the food, as you would expect. Simply put, The Robertsons have created 3 pieces of heaven in New Zealand which already has a lot to offer. You can not make a mistake staying in one of their lodges.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank drswoods
Sydney Olympic Park, Australia
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Brilliant location and outlook and terrific suites. Impeccable layout and first class comfort.

Meals were tip top and catered for our special needs.

Other guests (couples) were obviously enjoying a very private special treat and kept to themselves. They probably appreciated the formality and the attentive service which was a little wasted on our family with teenagers.

Staff seemed to be mainly expats (from US) which meant that while they were very professional and experienced they couldn't share the same perspectives on the place as a local.

I can't recommend too highly the drive to the end of the lake at Glenorchy. Spectacular snow covered mountains framing a blue lake. Try riding from the stables at Glenorchy which was a treat.

Being a short drive from Queenstown (rather than being in town) is a plus. It is a lovely town but now very developed like many sub alpine towns with accommodations catering for a wide variety of budgets and is very busy. This is in stark contrast to the lodge which allows for a very private and quite experience.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family