Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
John
Dunedin, New Zealand

Our 4 day break

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Jun 21, 2021via mobile
Just had a 4 day break in queenstown, we have never stayed in this hotel before and not sure why ?? This hotel is awesome and very close to town so after a hard night on the pop its easy to get home lol, very clean good food and fantastic service 😀 we will definitely be back again soon. Thanks john 👍
Date of stay: June 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Responded Jun 22, 2021
Thanks John

Great to hear you enjoyed the hotel and that the location was good for your night on the pop.

Hope to see you again soon.

Regards

• Priceline
5.2 km from Novotel Queenstown Lakeside
Pool
Restaurant
Hotel exterior (seen from the water taxi)
C$168
    C$115
0.4 km from Novotel Queenstown Lakeside
View more hotels in Queenstown
3,974 results
All reviews great location valet parking in town per day restaurants and shops the ground floor buffet breakfast central location new zealand lake concierge accor internet nz
Selected filters
Reviewed June 15, 2021

We had a basic King Room which didn't have a view of the lake but as soon as you walk out the door, the lake is on the left. Parking whilst a little expensive at NZD25 a day was perfect for us, and always super quick to bring you the car. We didn't have breakfast as prefer to explore for venues. Perfect walking distance to all the restaurants and bars. Only negative is the outdated shower curtain above the bath - this needs to be upgraded and I believe they have rooms that have been. Will be back.

Room tip: Ask for a room with a shower that doesn't have a shower curtain.
2  Thank KiwNZ
Jim Moore, General Manager at Novotel Queenstown Lakeside, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2021

Hi KiwiNZ

Thanks for this - good to hear you enjoy staying with us. While we understand the desire to explore the many options for breakfast our buffet is well known and supported by locals as well as guests and does offer a large array of items. Over and above the standard hotel buffet items we have things such as fresh fruit juicers to make your own juice, a make your own muesli station, honey from the hotel's own bee hives, smoked salmon as well as a gluten free selection.
The rooms on the 4th floor are more modern and some have showers only rather than baths - we are working through the next plans for upgrade - unfortunately covid slowed us down and made us relook at what had been designed but we are confident that when works are done we will have a great hotel in a great location along with our awesome staff.

Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed June 7, 2021 via mobile

Extremely underwhelmed. Positives: bed was very comfortable and the tv was of a good size with extensive sky viewing options. Location is awesome, right there. But, hotel is very dated. Carpet was disgusting, Shower /bath was borderline dangerous. There was no in-room info or any little extras. What i imagine was once the mini bar was an empty fridge with just milk sachets. The heat pump was barely hanging in there. Sound proofing was shocking! Could hear everyone walking past our door in the mornings, kids, housekeeping, anyone who went past basically. Was quite unnerving foe a romantique get-a-way! Really expected a lot more. Will definitely look elsewhere when coming to queenstown.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank karlan459
Novotel Queenstown, General Manager at Novotel Queenstown Lakeside, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2021

Dear Karla,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Queenstown Lakeside. I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. It looks like there are some areas that we could have improved to make your stay more enjoyable and I apologise that this was the case.

I appreciate your comments around the lack of amenities in the room - Some of our amenities and offerings (such as minibar) came out of the room as part of our AllSafe enhanced cleaning and hygiene protocols. In lieu of the hotel compendium, the hotel information is now available on the TV menu and we are working on how we best communicate that to our guests.

We are in the process of providing on-demand amenities such as slippers, bathrobes and minibar made available via QR codes on the bedside tables. This is a technology we are excited about and should have up and running by July.

I appreciate you sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Reviewed June 4, 2021 via mobile

My family only live about an hour from Queenstown, but we decided to treat ourselves to a night in town to visit the yearly LUMA light festival.
I spent a lot of time trying to choose between the many accommodation options within a 15minute walk of QT Gardens, many with free off street parking, but ultimately decided to pay a bit more money than planned to stay right in the heart of the action at the closest hotel to the event. We knew this meant paying the hotel an extra $25 for parking, but decided it was worth it for the convenience of a great evening. We even added breakfast to our package and also booked dinner at their on-site hotel to enjoy a really relaxing night all within a stones throw of the festival.
I contacted the hotel to reserve a park and was told that while it was first come, first served, for their parking, we could purchase a Wilson’s park over the road from the hotel on arrival.
We left home after work and arrived in Queenstown just before 6 and town was manic. Having been to LUMA for quite a few years, it was busier than I’ve ever seen it and busier than perhaps the hotel expected. But, on busy event nights like this, we just assumed the hotel would have a plan in place to ensure all customers would be able to get a park if needed (e.g reserving extra spaces in the Wilsons or valet parking to the Wilson’s during the day, and holding back their own parks for the evening when the Wilson’s got full). When there are far more luxurious options in Queenstown, this hotel is able to charge higher prices for its location alone, so we expected it to ensure customers would get the full benefit of this location.
That was not the case. We arrived and were told that their park was full and so was the Wilson’s, so we would need to find a park elsewhere. The good news, we were told, is that because it had now just turned 6pm, parking on the street would be free until 8 in the morning. The suggestion was ludicrous given the evening and a better solution or apology should have been offered.
Instead of popping to the markets before tea as planned, my husband went out and took a whole hour to try and find a park. He ended up finally finding one 20minutes walk away and arrived back at the hotel just in time for our 7o’clock dinner reservation.
He is was understandably in a bad mood. We all were. Thankfully the service at the restaurant was very pleasant which is the reason I felt a one star review would have been unfair.
LUMA was a great event as per usual, but after it finished, we then discussed the option of walking to get the car as town had quieted down and we weren’t comfortable leaving it where it was. We were disheartened by the whole experience and decided we’d reached a point where once we’d retrieved the car, we would be happier just heading home to our own beds.
I explained this calmly to the person on the desk and asked if I could please get the extra we had paid for breakfast refunded, to which he said No because we would have to go through Booking.com - a process that I suspect won’t be easy. (As a side note, we almost never use a third party booking site as we like to support businesses directly, especially since Covid, but Novotel direct was approx $100 more expensive than booking sites which I thought was crazy).
The staff member was polite and did offer us a free park in the Wilson’s, but that ship had sailed.
I do feel a bit disappointed that we weren’t offered something that would have made the overall Novotel experience more enjoyable. Even something as simple as a few drink vouchers to relax after the walk to get our car, would have been an acknowledgement of the disruption to our evening. But I expect, judging by the complaints I heard each time I walked through the lobby and the crazy way customers were parked at one stage, jamming the hotel entrance, staff were having a tiring evening too.

Along with the parking issue, I should note that we’re also a bit disappointed by the size of the two beds in the room. To be fair, I think they were advertised as doubles, but I am used to international hotels having 2 queens or 2 kings, so was a bit surprised they were as small as they were. The room was right on the street front and you could hear a little bit of noise from people walking past right outside, and the bathroom was a bit dated. Beyond that, the room was simple, but clean and tidy. We can’t comment on the quality of the linen, towels, toiletries etc as we didn’t end up using any.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Novotel Queenstown, General Manager at Novotel Queenstown Lakeside, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2021

Kia ora Oskar,

Firstly, thank you for providing your feedback and sharing your experience of your most recent stay at Novotel Queenstown. I must say I do appreciate the detail you have gone into as this allows us to identify those specific areas in which we can do better.

I am sorry that you were left a little disheartened after your short time with us - although I appreciate you highlighting the friendliness of the staff and the service you received in the restaurant which I will share with the team.

Indeed Luma was an extremely busy weekend for us at the hotel and in Queenstown. I agree with your comments that we had never really seen town quite as busy as it was, including on New Years Eve. While we were expecting to be busy, what we weren't expecting (and what was more challenging to cater to) was the sheer volume of people in Queenstown with vehicles.

We have always used the Wilson car park building for overflow and never before have we been in the position where it reached capacity, which was the case during the weekend of LUMA. In fact, the town centre ran out of spaces entirely and this did cause gridlock and disruption that we could not avoid and could not anticipate, however I do acknowledge that this is not ideal as a guest of ours and I apologise that this impacted on your stay.

With bookings that come via third party we are not authorised to make amendments and I believe this was what was explained to you at the time. That is not to say we couldn't have done better by you and offered you something to alleviate the issues and complications that you had already experienced. I have shared these specific comments with our Duty Managers as I feel we missed an opportunity here to leave a lasting impression.

Once again, thank you for the time you have taken and I can only hope that if we get the chance to accommodate you in the near future. Hopefully at a time when the town isn't quite as busy with vehicles as it was.

Reviewed May 22, 2021

We've stayed here before - nearly 10 years ago - and enjoyed ourselves. Unfortunately, I didn't take my own room advice, and chose a lakeside view room. The rooms likely have been updated since 2012, but not to a great extent:

- The shower curtain was literally a (non waterproof) curtain hung by curtain hooks, and blew into me throughout the entire shower.
-The toilet paper is in an odd spot - very low to the ground
-The hair dryer was as loud as a jet engine and yet also did not dry my hair.
-The sheets were scratchy and uncomfortable.
-The TV's sound was great for everything but voices.
-The breakfast at the restaurant can only be described as 'adequate'.
-The hotel is not smoke-free - smoking is allowed on balconies and at every available entranceway, providing no way for nonsmokers to enter the building without first walking through a cloud of smoke. Also, if smoking is allowed on the balconies, the smoke is inevitably carried back into the rooms.

The room was incredibly warm, though, due to the heat pump.

The location remains the best feature of this hotel, as everything else can only be described as "adequate'.

For Accor Members:

I booked this hotel after receiving an email about a "Platinum" promotion. The idea was for members of lower tiers to know how it feels to be treated as a Platinum member. However, the promotion was not recognised by the Accor booking system as it was local to Queenstown, NZ. I phoned the hotel who assured me that the promotion was real and if I booked any time in the next week - even after the official promotion ended - the person who deal with reservations locally would absolutely know to apply the promotion. When I booked, I phoned again to ensure the promotion would be applied.

But, it wasn't. The promotion included 1) a room upgrade, 2) welcome drinks, 3) free full breakfast for each day and 4) access to lounges, if any.

When I checked in, the Novotel front desk employee had no idea what I was talking about when I asked about the promotion. After checking in the back, she came back to inform me I booked too late to receive the promotion and they could only offer me drinks. I explained the history and went to the room. After one phone call letting me know they'd "make an exception" for one day of full breakfast, the second phone call was an apology and an agreement for full breakfast for two days. The room upgrade clearly did not happen and I didn't ask about it. It was a disappointing experience and the exact opposite of the intended promotion.

We won't be back, despite the convenience.

Room tip: Not lakeside!
Date of stay: May 2021
Novotel Queenstown, General Manager at Novotel Queenstown Lakeside, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2021

Kia ora Dawn,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and for detailing your recent experience at the Novotel Queenstown Lakeside. I'm sorry to learn that your experience did not meet your expectations and I sincerely apologise for those areas in which we fell short.

The Platinum Campaign was available for bookings made between the 29th January and 14th February. Your booking was made on the 21st and fell outside these dates. The team member that you spoke with on the phone that said we would honour the booking as part of the Platinum Campaign has put us in a compromising situation as they have failed to note this on your booking. Please rest assured that we will follow this up with the staff member as they have not only created disappointment for yourself, but also disappointment on our end that we did not meet your expectations on check-in and subsequently thereafter.

From what is noted in our logs, in response to your disappointment on check-in our Duty Manager did give you complimentary drink vouchers as per the promotion, a welcome amenity was put in your room as per the promotion and complimentary breakfast was also extended as per the promotion. The only thing I can see that we could not deliver on was the complimentary upgrade - which you had already requested prior to arriving through our online upgrade system and I can see from our records that we had sent you an e-mail on 7th May explaining that the room type was not available to upgrade to - Even if paying an upgrade fee, as those room types were already booked.

I don't believe we got off to a good start on check-in and from reading your review it seems as though your stay may have gone downhill from there and I am sorry for this. It certainly was not our intention to fall short on delivering the benefits of the Platinum campaign, I truly feel our team did the best they could to recover the situation but I understand how first impressions can impact your overall experience.

I'm sorry that the bathroom layout and fittings weren't to your liking - There are plans to improve in these areas which is exciting for us as we know it will mean added comfort for our guests . Your other observations like the TV sound, the hair dryer and the height of the toilet paper are not comments I see often but rest assured will look into these to ensure they are working as they should for future guests.

I am sorry - I know you said you won't be back but I do hope we get the chance to better accommodate you in the future as I'd like to show you that we can deliver on the true hospitality that our guests know us for. Please feel free to reach out directly should you be down this way again and I'll do my best to ensure your next stay far exceeds your recent stay.

Kind regards,

Reviewed May 6, 2021 via mobile

Perfect location, great staff. We were able to cancel our rental vehicle as most tourist attraction operators do pick ups nearby in town. Reception staff always made us feel important and welcome. We enjoyed the fresh juice and freshly cooked eggs each morning.

Room tip: Coffee cart and fish & chips near the front door
Date of stay: April 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank jwhom
Jim Moore, General Manager at Novotel Queenstown Lakeside, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2021

Dear jwhom

Apologies for having missed this review - I normally respond to all Trip Advisor Reviews - I have just noticed that I appear to have missed responding to yours.

It does seem that you enjoyed your experience - we hope to see you again soon.

Regards