All reviews recycled materials table tennis organic milk fire pit tee pee veggie garden ping pong solar panels staff were super friendly stayed for two nights short stay free shuttle minute drive south island lake and mountains amazing views new zealand
Reviewed March 6, 2016 via mobile

Upon arrival this hotel looks pretty awesome. We booked a standard waterfall queen (not much of a waterfall) for $185 a night for a stay of two nights.....totally overpriced.

I love that there was no tv in the room but there was no mini fridge either. We bought food on the way in to save money on breakfast and lunch yet had to throw it out as we couldn't keep it fresh! The tea canister had dregs of tea leaves in it, not enough for even half a cup. The bathroom is black, black tiled shower walls with a black shower curtain. Once you are in the shower and you shut the curtain, it's dark! There is no light getting into the shower at all. The furnishings are great but the only place you can sit is on the bed. Beds are super comfy. Had I known that a queen room would be two double beds, I would have paid $20 LESS per night for a king size bed room.

The view from the room is quite pretty but the room is situated next to the bee hives so there are bees constantly lingering around the room windows. There are no privacy curtains on the windows so Gardeners and neighbours can see in when walking by.

For the price of the room you'd expect continental breakfast to be included at the very least but it isn't....$15 for some toast and cereal?! The restaurant itself is quite overpriced but the whole town is like that when it comes to food. Walking to the town centre takes about 44-50 minutes. Would have been great if they didn't charge so much for bike hire. Seems like you don't really get anything included in the price of your stay.

Cool concept but they need to think about their guests a bit more. Seems like a rip.

Date of stay: March 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 29, 2016

This place is well situated for the airport and has a range of accommodation. Rooms are modest and without frills but clean. The complex has an attractive outdoor area for leisurely drinks and chats. Staff are friendly and helpful.

Room tip: Rooms at the front have lake and mountain views.
Date of stay: March 2016
Reviewed February 22, 2016

Stayed at hotel to attend a wedding in Queenstown .we had a lovely King suite overlooking the lake ..bed was very comfy ..the room had been refurbished with recycled materials and we loved the curtains ..the staff were so helpful and obliging ..loved that they are being eco friendly ...a couple of criticisms ..lighting in bathroom is too dull to be able to apply makeup ..need a full length mirror ( need to be able to see the dress looked ok before going to a wedding) I had asked for an iron for our room which was provided but alas was a dry iron ..hopeless ..you need steam iron to remove creases from being packed in a bag ..but otherwise everything we loved and we would stay again should we come back to Queenstown in the future ..keep up the good work

Reviewed February 18, 2016

Stayed at the Sherwood Hotel and it was a disappointment. I know it is the theme of the hotel of being “refurbished rooms feature commissioned artworks and recycled materials”, but unfortunately, all I felt like was getting ripped off. For the price of $150 NZD per night I could have paid for real lakeside hotels such as Crown Plaza, Rydges or Peppers. Although the hotel details listed on booking.com stated that this property is situated on a hillside overlooking the “picturesque Lake Wakatipu and the Remarkables Mountain Range”, you really need to have booked and paid extra $$ for the lake view rooms if not you will get a room overlooking the road only.

Also there is no TV in the room. I thought that was a basic requirement for hotels these days given that a 32” TV costs like $200. Also there was no microwave? I do not get that. That is like $70 only. They provide cooking and eating utensils but no cooktops or microwave. Very inconvenient.

We arrived at the hotel at 1am because we were driving in from Mt Cook. Other hotels have easy and convenient late check in processes such as leaving the keys in the locker (and providing me with the access code via email beforehand), or leaving the keys in the room with door unlocked. But here if you arrive after 12am you will need to contact the security guard and find him to pick up the keys. This put pressure on us to arrive as soon as possible as we were worried we can’t reach the security guard. Lucky the night we arrived the restaurant was still opened and a helpful staff helped us to our room.

The hotel is also located outside the Queenstown central. It is a good 15-20 minutes drive. So if you don’t have a car if is quite difficult with transport. Even if you have a car, parking is limited. We got back to the hotel at like 11pm one night and there was only one spot left.

There are also moths and bugs flying in all the time. The room was stuffy and because of the refurbished it smelt a little funny so I opened the window. What a bad move. I ended up having to kill like 10-15 moths/bugs before turning the corner light on the whole night to attract the bugs over there instead of flying on top of our heads.

The only positive thing I have for this hotel is that the bed was very comfortable. You do get a king size bed in the studio room and it was comfortable.

Will I book this hotel again? No. Not for this price. I would much prefer try out the other hotels that are situated at Queenstown Central, and literally next to the lake.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Sherwood Q, Manager at Sherwood Queenstown, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2016

Hi Jess, thanks for taking so much time to review Sherwood. 1am is a late time to arrive and we are glad that our restaurant was able to check you in which is one of the after-hours check-in points up until 11;30pm and then the night porter after that. The reason our restaurant was open later than 11:30 pm was because of programmed entertainment at the restaurant which is one of the core attractions of the hotel. We have an interesting live music and cultural programming schedule and I believe that on the subject night there was an art exhibition. This might help to understand our conscious decision about TV's - and yes they are cheap to buy so it is not about the money - we have set out about to provide alternatives to TV - during the day Queenstown's natural attractions take care of entertainment for most guests and at Sherwood itself we have developed a large vegetable garden, bike track, yoga studio, restaurant with scheduled live music and board games, and in March there will be initiating some new workshops ranging from fermentation to potting. In addition we have recognised that there are some times that weather and a gap in entertainment keep you in-room so we have just ordered some revo internet radios that we plan to stream our updated curated music and pre-select some interesting global (and local)stations for current affairs, music, comedy, and general interest. If a TV is a must, then we would steer you towards the Queen and King Premium rooms that have TV's.

With respect to distance to the town centre , it usually takes us 10-12 minutes to cycle and 5 minutes to drive if you go directly to town (maybe you went through Frankton to get to town?).

And thanks for your feedback about night time moths - we are blessed in Queenstown to have such clean fresh air and most of us do sleep with our windows open. We will approach a few guests to see if they had any similar issues and have a discussion internally about practicality of insect screens in the bedroom sleeping areas and temper this against views and amenity. One trick I find useful in my bedroom to avoid bugs at night at is to sleep with the lights off.

Reviewed February 17, 2016

Queenstown is beautiful.
This hotel has a Eco-chic thing that feels right.

My (premium queen) room had glass doors that faced the beautiful Lake Wakatipu. It also has a mini kitchen setup, if you want to cook for yourself. But the hotel has a pretty cool and happening restaurant that is open wuite late, so you'll probably end up eating there instead of cooking.

The hotel is not in the heart of Queenstown, which can be a good thing if you want peace and quiet. We were a 5 minute drive to the main part of town, which was bustling with lots of visitors.

I would return here without hesitation.