See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed February 4, 2018 via mobile

Stayed at The Shan’s w/ my travel buddy, exceptional view of lake Hayes. The room was of a good size & comfortable beddings. Breakfast was very delicious n portion is big. Jazmine, the lady owner is very friendly n gave good advice of where to eat, drink n visit. She’s very friendly and amicable. In front of the house is lake Hayes walkway/Park tried it n the 2 hours walk around the lake is very pleasant. Would definitely come back when I next visit this area

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed November 14, 2017

We stayed here on our honeymoon for a couple of days. It was the perfect location for us. A short ride outside of Queenstown, and overlooking the idyllic Lake Hayes. The Lodge itself was very nice and accommodating. You can enjoy the sunsets in the hot tub. We were also able to do laundry which was a big plus. Would be very happy to stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2017

Shans is a very comfortable place to visit. The common living area is a great place to relax after a long flight and has a beautiful view. Breakfast was exceptional. Our hosts were very friendly and gave helpful advice for our visit.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2017

Nice room with a view. But the bed is not as advertised. It's actually 2 twin beds stuck together with no padding in the middle. If you're a couple and planning on cuddling during the night, forget it! Breakfast is soso.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2017

The setting across the road at Lake Hayes is beautiful, the gardens and deck well maintained. Rooms were spotless, beds comfy.

The outdoor spa would have been a great spot to relax in the evening. Unfortunately when we wanted to jump in we discovered that the tub was full of mosquitoes and other dead bugs :-( We decided to abandon the plan and use the indoor spa instead. I could have pointed the problem out to the owner that very night but decided against it as I was already quite late. However, I feel that at this price range, guests should not have to make the host aware that the tub water is dirty.

Breakfasts were tasty but not as extraordinary as they looked on the website. Given that there is fantastic food in numerous places in Queenstown, I was a bit disappointed by that.

The owners were very friendly and the lodge is an excellent place directly out of town to explore the scenary.

The lodge offers free mountain bikes for guest which I thought was a great idea. There are numerous cycle tracks around the area. If you're an ambitious cyclist, I would still recommend you bring your own bike, as the bicycles provided are okay for flat rides but even on the easy ride around lake hayes, I had trouble with swichting gears several times and my partner had her chain slip 4 times in an hour. (It was still a nice ride though!) Just keep in mind that if you're planning a longer bike trip you might be better off with your own bike.

Given that this is the highest price I've ever paid for staying anywhere in the Queenstown area, I would have expected a little more to make it a perfect holiday experience. It is still a decent place to stay with very nice hosts.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple