“One of the most interessting B&B 's”
Review of Caledonian B & B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Broken Hill
Caledonian B & B
Ranked #2 of 11 Broken Hill B&B and Inns
Berlin, Germany
“One of the most interessting B&B 's”
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Me and my girlfriend stayed there for four days and we wish we could have stayed longer! It was the great mixture of the nice rooms, the friendlyness of Hugh and Barbara and of course Hugh`s brilliant breakfast which made this stay for us so unforgettable. Hugh and Bab had always a ear for you and they could tell you everything about Broken Hill - forget all the guide books just ask Hugh!! He is a very political person so it was interessting listening to him when he talked abot the "political situation" in Broken Hill (what can the local government do to attract more tourists to Broken Hill) or just the general political situation in Australia. If we comeagain to Broken Hill we will defenetly stay again at the "Cally`s". It is higly recommended and you `ll never forget this stay in your life. That`s for sure!
Seemit & Annette

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 30 April 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Caledonian for one night a month ago. After spending one night in a caravan park cabin, we decided to look for something more authentic. It was a great choice: same price but huge difference in service! The room was really spacious, clean and furnished with taste. The breakfast included some delicious home made jams. We used the guests common fridge which was spacious enough to store our supplies for the next days of camping in Menindee. There was off street parking and the main road with restaurants and shops was a quick 5 mins walk from the B&B. Hugh gave us a lot of interesting insights in the life in Broken Hill and advices on what to do around the area. It was great to have someone always available to answer our questions, but at the same time, never intrusive. Oh and the two dogs were as nice as their owners and we had a lot of fun playing with them in the back garden.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Darwin
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Maureen and I stayed for 4 nights in a delightfully presented and very affortable cottage "Blue Wren" in Lane Street. It was cosy, well appointed with with the blue wren image and theme represented throughout. Hugh presented us with a welcome basket of goodies (bread, margarine, eggs,cereal etc) to get us started in the kitchen.
Blue Wren is located within less than a 10 minute walk to the city center.
Mine host, Hugh, is a wonderful resource on local history and visitor attractions.
We contacted Hugh through the Caledonian B & B which is a former period hotel converted to a family run B & B.
I would recommend the cottage accommodation to any couple or family visiting Broken Hill.

Richard and maureen O'Sullivan

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richard O
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I stayed with Barb and Hugh for two nights last week. Out of our whole week in the outback this was the loveliest place we stayed; very accomodating, homely and with all the comforts. The breakfast included in the price was everything you'd expect and more from a hotel continental breakfast and was the perfect start to the day. At the end of day two, my friend and I made ourselves at home and sat down on the couches with a wine and watched tv, great end to our trip :)

Thanks, and if I'm ever in the area will defintely say hi.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Sydney
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I have travelled to Broken Hill a total of three times in the past 6 months and stayed with Barb & Hugh for all three of these visits. They offer unparalled value and have created a warm and inviting atmosphere, a home away from home for all their guests.

Having stayed in the Kookaburra Cottage, Lavender and Lace Cottage and at the B&B I can say without a doubt that the Caledonian is a brilliant place to stay.

The service was incredible both at the B&B & the private accommodation, with coffee, tea and home made biscuits available all day every day, beautiful homemade breakfast at the B&B, and facilities for just about everything you could possibly need.

I could not have asked for more in terms of accommodation, and also had the opportunity to get to know the area better by drawing on the endless knowledge of owners Barb & Hugh who are always available to answer and questions you might have, point you in the right direction for a Broken Hill adventure or just for a chat.

Would definitely stay here again when travelling through the area!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Singapore
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I stayed with Hugh and Barb in December 2011 for two nights and they couldn't be more helpful or welcoming. I took the room with ensuite which was quiet and comfortable and good value for money. Do take Hugh's offer up to cook breakfast, it's a little bit extra but he takes the time and really enjoys it and does a very good job to get you set up for the day. From the hotel I was able to walk around to everything I wanted to see. Hugh picked me up at the railway station even though I only called to book hours ahead of arriving and he took me for a tour around the town. The Cally is a lovely old converted pub and is a shady, quiet and cool place to stay. I wanted to stay somewhere authentic and cozy instead of a hotel and this place was exactly what I was looking for. Will stay again.

Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Lethbridge
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights in March. From the time of initial contact to sadly saying goodbye the service was excellent. Barb & Hugh were very welcoming & extremely helpful, without being obtrusive. Hugh's homemade hearty breakfasts got me off to a great start each day. He likes experimenting with homemade preserves, which I found delicious. Barb even drove me out to the cemetary so I could do some family research, & then we enjoyed wandering around together. The accommodation is located close to downtown....a very easy, flat walk. There is also a takeway just around the corner with really good chicken. There is a fridge for guests to use. The grounds are lovely & tropical...for the desert, & I spent a little time each afternoon throwing a ball around for Pierre the very sweet standard poodle. I had been here long ago when the Cally was still a pub. It was great to see what a fabulous job Hugh & Barb have done. The old bar area now holds works by local artists.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
TheCally, Owner at Caledonian B & B, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Thank you AbsentAussie for your informative review. Barb and I feel we are very fortunate to have such wonderful Guests. It seems to be true that "as you give so will you receive" - I think it's called Karma. Only the nicest people come to stay with us - Cheers and thanks again - Hugh