All reviews huge shower head converted convent nice furniture breakfast and dinner stayed for two nights sunday night room service room was spacious hunter valley wineries an upgrade tea coffee in the room booked a standard room an overnight stay nice stay netball gateway orphanage
Reviewed July 27, 2010

On Wed 21st of July my husband took a group of employees to Monte Pio for dinner, there were 20 of us and they had 2 weeks notice that we were coming. We sat down at 7.30 and the waitress took our orders. At 8.45 they brought some bread to the table and then at 8.50 they started to bring the entrees. Although they took the orders "in order" they still came out and called out what they had and we had to raise our hands to claim what we ordered (bit like being in a pub). I asked if they had a vegetarian menu and the waitress said "no but what would you like, he can make anything for you" I thought I would keep it simple so said a plain cheese soufle would be nice, the waitress went away and came back and said sorry he can't do that would you like a rissoto? I couldn't help laughing but we were far from laughing at the end of the night. My husband ordered a dozen oysters kilpatrick and the waitress said "sorry, you can't have that many, we only ordered 3 dozen oysters" ....remember we were booked in for 24 people and had booked in 2 weeks earlier. When he got "9" oysters they were sitting in a shell full of thick gluggy black sauce so that you couldn't even tell there was an oyster in the shell.The gentleman seated on my left ordered tiger prawns wrapped in bacon. When they came out they were very small little prawns on a skewer with a ribbon of bacon no wider than my little finger wrapped around the middle. The ladies who ordered the prawn and mango salad were informed that the mango was out of a can, they got little prawns on a bed of lettuce with canned mango cut up on top. At 10.15 we started to get the main courses, once again the waitress called out what she had and we claimed what we ordered. My dinner companion on my right found what seemed to be a big lump of plastic in her seafood and showed it around the table, the gentleman across from her asked "do you think it matches this"? He held up a broken mussel shell from his plate and it matched perfectly. The two ladies who ordered the prawn salad went for the chicken stuffed with spinach and basil sauce. When they got their meals there was no spinach or basil, but when they cut the chicken up there was a prawn stuffed in the center, another lady who got the same called out " eew I HATE" seafood. Thank god she wasn't allergic to it ! I ended up with a vegetable rissoto with a cream sauce in it that I think they must have over ordered that week because it was on everyones plates, my husband ordered the beef with mash, he couldn't find his mash because it was disolved in the cream sauce that the beef was swimming in. Another guest ordered the rack of lamb and was presented with a pile of lamb chops on his plate. (to be fair all said their beef was very tasty, if not what they ordered). The reef and beef.... well, I told you about the shell and of course the seafood was once again swimming in the same cream sauce.. one plate contained something indescribable the guest held it up on his fork to show us because he didn't know what it was and wasn't brave enough to eat it. None of us blamed him ! To top everything off, the bottles of beer they were bringing out to us were warm. We finished out main course at 10.45 and it speaks volumes that NO ONE wanted to stay for sweets or coffee. My husband paid the $1,300 bill and we left. The next day I rang and spoke to Danny who promised to let management know and for them to call me back. That never happend so I phoned again on Monday and spoke to Jenny, she promised to have management phone me back.. Once again ...didn't happen". I phoned again on Wednesday and spoke to Charlie told her about not getting call backs. She said she would phone management and let them know and they might or might not ring me back... that was an hour ago... still no call yet.... Not holding my breath... I have 20 or so witnessess to all of this.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank 2justme
Reviewed June 20, 2010

We recently stayed here and found a warm welcome and a comfortable place to stay for the night.The Grand old Lady that sits on the Hill at Maitland is indeed in need of moderrnisation, She is looking is Looking very 1980! at the moment, But the Grand old Building is siting there waiting for her next re-incarnation. The Staff were excellent, and Breakfast was a very plesant suprise from the dull"buffet" It was freshly cooked and was much better than alot of other 4 or 5 star hotels in the area. All in All for what we paid, it was excellent valve.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2010

Very welcoming, friendly accommodation. Although the rooms are old fashioned, the restaurant, bar and pool more than make up for it. Service was fantastic, will definitley be staying there again next year.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed February 14, 2009

I stayed at the Monte Pio recently with business colleagues, as part of cost cutting measures preventing us from staying at more opulent lodgings in the Hunter Valley.

This was my first stay here, the staff were friendly and the room was comfortable, but the room decor was very "80s dated". The hotel was not busy during our stay but offered a range of facilities, conference rooms, a bar and restaurant and ample parking.

I would stay here again as it is a comfortable, economical and functional option, however it is quite dated (eg: small old-style TV, no wireless internet).

A continental or cooked breakfast is available in the restaurant from 6.30AM, and the selection was adequate.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed March 16, 2008

We have stayed at this hotel many times. We've also used it for work functions. It's a beautiful old building with loads of character. I think it's a perfect location to use as a base to the Hunter Valley Wineries for fraction of the cost of others in the area.

The restaurant is excellent, and matching wine list is extensive. We love the place and think it's a gem of a find.

Perfect for weddings and functions, the staff are most helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)