“Coffee Perfection ”

The Cunning Culinarian
Ranked #32 of 191 Restaurants in Maitland
Reviewed May 23, 2018 via mobile

THE BEST coffee in Newcastle and The Hunter Valley. A chic area to sit and enjoy the perfect cup of coffee. The friendly staff, interior design and soft music create a welcoming and relaxing ambiance.

The food is heavenly! The menu is prepared fresh, lots of healthy and gluten free options. So tasty and so good. They even have a take home fridge.

I can’t recommend this place enough. Absolutely worth the drive. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
P.S. How charming is the tea spoon!

Date of visit: May 2018
1  Thank Lindsey L

Reviewed April 22, 2018

In Lorn, Maitland for a 4 month housesit, we quickly referred to Trip Advisor for the best places to eat and find good coffee.

Reading reviews for TCC, I nearly fell over myself to book for brunch on Sunday when I saw they used Little Marionette coffee, a favourite brew originating from Balmain, Sydney.

Conversations when booking with the lovely owner, Alina, left me with high anticipation of a long brunch shared with good friends, also visiting Maitland from the South Coast. And our time there was everything and more.

Alina's carefully crafted menu was totally right for our differing tastebuds and our Celiac friend. Every dish was beautifully presented, with very fresh salad garnishes and delightful combination of flavours. Corn Friitters were light and fluffy, complemented by Bacon, Avocado, Relish and Sour Cream. Our friend ordered Bruschetta of Roast Pumpkin on Gluten Free Bread which she pronounced exceptional as it was not hard as some GF bread can be. The Ultimate Brekky Roll was pronounced "The Best" by another!

To top it all off we had second coffees as the first were so good, accompanied by Alina's 'made fresh' chocolate eclairs oozing with freshly whipped cream

1  Thank marilynp124
Reviewed April 20, 2018 via mobile

It's a regular for us to visit.

Must try is the bacon and egg roll with relish and smoked honey aioli on the most gorgeous brioche roll.
Must try dessert for me is definitely the chocolate brownie but in saying that all of the desserts are beautiful.

My mum had a tart for brunch that was on the specials menu and she absolutely loved it. You could tell the pastry was made from scratch and she said it just fell apart beautifully in her mouth.

The coffee in my opinion is the best in Maitland and The Cunning Culinarian is definitely our go to.

My daughter also attended a cooking class here. She enjoyed it so much and got to bring home her goodies.

All the staff are wonderful but shout out to Alina, Jorge and Codie.
Thank you for bringing such a classy yet unpretentious cafe to Maitland.

1  Thank MrsKOldz
Reviewed April 8, 2018 via mobile

Many of us ordinary punters, when choosing our nosh, look for absences rather than presences. My particularly sought after absence has been known since biblical times as The Absence of Garlic. I’m sure there are many like me who dream of it-and in particular an Absence of Garlic Oil. Unfortunately it has become de rigueur in many quarters to add it to all food. To me it is rather like DDT; we will regret one day having allowed it into the food chain...
Most fortunately there was no trace of it in the fresh quiche (caramelised onion, spinach and feta) served in this pleasant place. The salad accompanying had a surfeit of broccoli which has featured in the media a lot lately as a foil for every ill. The real thing served in a creamy slush certainly beats any vitamin pill. Coffee decent and a suitably psychedelic soundtrack... You have to come to Maitland of course, to visit it, but that’s surprisingly pleasant, as the notorious local jail closed in the late 90’s. It’s kitchens were it’s most tolerable part: undoubtedly its inmates were spared the rigours of garlic oil in their bangers and mash...

Reviewed March 10, 2018 via mobile

Have been here twice and love all the plants and artwork floating around the place. Had the eggplant burger first time around and really enjoyed it. Tried the fritters with smoked salmon in lieu of bacon and can’t wait to go back again. People have been raving about their coffee so had to give it and try and it is good stuff.

Date of visit: March 2018