This property has extremely mixed reviews and now I've spent 2 nights there I think I understand why this is the case. It's actually quite a nice property overall and certainly in a very picturesque location. However, it's rather overpriced for what is on offer. The reviews that give a good reponse are the ones that are mid-week or used voucher offers. I can understand that when you're paying $130 or so a night, you would be quite content. However, the general weekend and undiscounted price of $250 to $275 is very steep for what is essentially a motel where you park at your front door.
The room (olive grove I think) was quite spacious and the sleigh bed comfortable but there were cracks in the walls and the amenities are reminiscent of a motel rather than a resort. Also, the shampoo and tea-bags were not replaced in the room on the 2nd day and there was no sweetener. I requested fresh milk twice (which was supposed to be available on request) with no response. The bathmat was not replaced and the towels (which we retained to be environmentally conscious), were re-hung folded over so they remained damp. They're all small things, but they indicate fairly sloppy management.
The tapas food and wine in their casual dining area is pretty expensive - we paid about $150 for 2 people and there wasn't much food. (However, the cafe over the road, Blue Tongue is even worse food and also knows how to charge!)
We understand that Tuscany charge an additional $15 per day for internet access, which is more usually complimentary these days. They also charge extra for upgrading the continental breakfast (which was included) to a cooked breakfast. Unfortunately most of the buffet food is uncovered and numerous flies were having a free breakfast. Staff had to be asked to bring more of everything - cups, hot water, bread, bowls, glasses - they just don't seem to be switched on enough.
This only amplifies the problem with the cost - if you're paying mid-range motel prices, you'll get over it pretty quickly, but if you're paying serious money, you expect more and this property just doesn't seem to understand this. I notice that management replies to all positive tripadvisor reports and ignores all critical ones. Says a lot!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Estate Tuscany Decades of Hospitality & Award-Winning Service. Only two hours from Sydney, located at the foothills of the Brokenback ranges in Pokolbin, Hunter Valley (NSW). Guests can experience a relaxing stay in Tuscan-style accommodation, with uninterrupted mountain views in the heart of Australia's premium wine country. The grounds present a stylish blend of modern and rustic decor, set amongst 26 acres of beautiful countryside. There are two stunning eateries onsite. The Mill Restaurant offers guests a fine dining experience, while The Brokenback Bar presents a cafe-style bar where guests can sample wine and beer from the region. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Travelocity and Hotels.com so you can book your Estate Tuscany reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tuscany Wine Estate Hotel Pokolbin
- Tuscany Wine Estate Pokolbin
- Estate Tuscany Greater Newcastle/Pokolbin, Australia