“Dinner at The Fine Diner - Lorenzos”
Review of The Cheeky Fig

The Cheeky Fig
Ranked #43 of 480 Restaurants in Wollongong
Price range: US$13 - US$25
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Casual Dining Entree, Main And Desserts Cuisines From Around The Mediterranean Incl North African, Spanish, Italian And Greek
Reviewed October 1, 2015

My wife's 55th birthday dinner at Lorenzos in Wollongong with our adult sons. Our order was the 3 course chef's selection ($75 each) complimented, for the drinkers, with a 'super Tuscan' Sangiovese. What else for our Italian food celebration.
All entrees were exceptional, with the rissotto (smoked chicken, mushroom & parmesan) the pick over the tagliatelle (with banana prawns, slipper lobster, cherry tomatoes, chilli & crustacean oil), a sweet potato and goats cheese terrine and smoked duck breast with a crumbed pork rillette, apple jelly & pomegranate molasses.

The main course consisted of beef fillet with parmesan & potato croquette, heirloom carrots & port jus; seared fish fillet with chilli gremolata, fried brussel sprouts & beetroot; chicken supreme with pancetta & potato rosti & poached leeks and pork belly with mashed potato and dried fruits. Take your pick - all fantastic

Desserts of honeycomb semifreddo with chocolate truffle, poached rhubarb with lemon curd & crumble; tiramasu with almond flakes all shared and enjoyed.
What is there not to rave about. A great meal for all.

1  Thank Terry S
Lorenzopagnan, Owner at The Cheeky Fig, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2015

hey Terry
thank you for your review, although it's been a few months since you did with your family
I'm impressed at the memory of the 7 or so dishes which you described very well indeed

the chef selection is definitely the best way to sample our menu and offers the diners a great eating experience and still (october) $75 / head

we're happy to have shared your wife's birthday with the whole family.

Reviewed September 20, 2015

Lorenzos is fantastic to visit if you have something special to celebrate. I have been here a few times and the service was absolutely outstanding. I always order a entree, main and a few drinks. I don't think I have ever had the perfect proportioned meal anywhere else. The food is very Italian and tastes delicious! Definitely worth the money we paid.

Lorenzopagnan, Owner at The Cheeky Fig, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2015

I can see from the review date and the review it's been a little time in between but obviously we had a good effect on your memory

two courses here are satisfactory quantity wise but since we're here lets indulge !!

see you soon I hope

Reviewed September 17, 2015 via mobile

We dropped in after a Melb-Wollongong drive to grab a drink. Jennifer the bar waitress was really fantastic. She gave us tips on what to do in Wollongong, and even a fantastic tip for a mechanic that we followed up on and were duly impressed by. Great service, cool vibes, laid back tunes, and comfy couches, would recommend.

Reviewed September 8, 2015 via mobile

Paid $280 for savoury chef selection and matching wines for 2..... Service and everyone was really friendly... But the food was cheap produce and lacked any Italian produce... The chicken main belonged in a Chinese lunch menu and everything else was definitely eatable but lacked any Italian cuisine... Being 3rd generation Italian myself they need to go back to the old country and reinvent themselves! They have the foundation for a beautiful restaurant with the atmosphere and service but the food was not Italian! I don't care what they write back to this! Fuhgetaboutit!

2  Thank Daneb86
Lorenzopag, Owner at The Cheeky Fig, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2015

hey Dane
I'm sorry you didn't appreciate our cuisine on your last visit

I'm a little perplexed as to your comment about being non -italian

I can certainly concur that it's not italian food from the 50's, most likely what you consider to be true Italian cuisine, which certainly has it's place in the trattorias of this land but it's old school

like fashion, cars, music and cinema- food moves w the times and what we are creating here is Modern Italian Cuisine
utilizing the basic techniques w modern flavours

so I assume gnocchi w salmon cream, pappardelle al ragu, risotto w pumpkin, timbale of eggplant on napoletana, roasted veal loin wrapped in prosciutto on roasted potatoes w chard. seared fish fillet on cannellini beans and pancetta salad aren't Italian dishes???

maybe it's time you traveled to Italy and see what modern restaurants are serving in the major cities, certainly not the food my mother was cooking in the 50's when she migrated here!

Reviewed August 31, 2015

I have been here for a few small work functions and Christmas parties. The food is unforgettable. Every bite as delicious as the one before. Truly is Australia's best Italian food. I highly recommend the Chef's selection it's amazing!

Lorenzopag, Owner at The Cheeky Fig, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2015

HEY Melissa

thank you for taking time to write about your experience at the diner.

As often commented the "chef selection" is a great way to enjoy your dining experience w us
There is always that sense of expectation and surprise as each course is presented to the table and so often people really enjoy something they thought they wouldn't have ordered if dining a la carte!

look forward to your next visit