All reviewsquiet locationcomfortable bedunder new managementmumtoastermount
Reviewed May 11, 2018 via mobile

We come to Mount Gambier on a semi-regular basis to visit family. This is the fourth motel we have used and would rate it equal lowest of the four.
We ended up here as a result of a balls up by booking. com with our preferred motel.
On the positive side, the room was spacious and the bed seemed comfortable initially. There is also adequate space to park and the reception staff send friendly enough (although the conversation about being able to provide a microwave seemed to contradict the sign at reception that cooking in the rooms is strictly banned and attracts a fine). Additionally, despite being fight in the highway, it was relatively quiet. This may be different in a room closer to the road.
On the down side, the place is old and attempts to update it have only been partially successful.
It is out of town so everything is at least a 5-10 minute drive away.
Unlike some other reviews, our room was reasonably clean.
They don't accept Amex which for me is a big negative as it forces me to use my (one of the big 4) credit card.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2018

Firstly, I paid through booking.com for an overnight stay for my parents travelling from Melbourne to Adelaide but when they arrived the manager refused to allow them to stay until they paid again. His attitude was threatening and unfriendly to them and at 80 years old they were extremely upset. The attitude of the manager has continued towards myself in my attempts to recover the extra payment.
Secondly, if I had known the place was so old and run down I would not have booked it. Half the power points were broken and even had black texta writing on the wall saying so. The walls were paper thin and the all night party that went to 3am could not be quietened despite numerous complaints to the manager.
The advertisement for this property is completely misleading and a fraud. I have told anyone I know who may be thinking of stopping at Mount Gambier to "keep driving". I also blame booking.com for listing this property in the light it does AND the complete lack of assistance in recovering the extra payment.
A truely horrendous experience with both parties.

Room Tip: Stay away from any room
Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Carole W
Reviewed January 18, 2018

We were travelling for business and only stayed the one night and was very disappointed in the location to far from places to eat. They had a kettle and cups for tea and coffee and I could not wait for a cup of tea but to my horror the cups were dirty and then the kettle had a smell that was disgusting. Also the bathroom had a moldy smell and sadly the place is a bit rundown, Next trip will to Mt Gambier will be in a better hotel...

Room Tip: Sorry cannot say as our room was not good
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed January 12, 2018

We stayed at this roadside motel for only one night on our way from Geelong to Adelaide which was definitely enough time. We had booked two separate rooms as there was four of us travelling together. The rooms were quite large with one large double bed and a single in each room. Our first room had a single seat chair plus a dining table with 3 chairs. The second room had a 2 seater sofa and two chairs against a long bench. Plus a small TV. The rooms seemed reasonably clean.

Before we arrived we called the motel to ask if there were microwaves in the rooms. We were told "no". On arrival at the reception desk there was a sign saying "no cooking in rooms. $50 fine." However, when we got into our rooms there was a microwave in each room. If you don't want people cooking in the rooms then why provide a microwave! Each room had tea/coffee provided with a kettle, small fridge and a microwave you apparently can't use.

Upon closer inspection of the rooms it was clear they needed decorating. The ceiling in one room looked like it had had a leak in the past as the paper was coming off and parts of it were brown.

Bathroom was very outdated and had a shower in it that didn't work properly. When trying the shower we could not get it to the correct temperature. It was either scorching hot or too cold and the water pressure was awful. It was certainly not good enough to wash mid to long hair.

Free wifi was included, which I managed to connect to easily, but my husband couldn't. It just kept saying it was unavailable.

It was pretty quiet at night (although the motel didn't have that many guests when we stayed there), but I found the bed very uncomfortable, which was partly due to the electric blanket which was very bumpy.

The location for attractions was okay. You would need a car to get anywhere from this motel. The Umpherston Sinkhole is around 10 to 15 minutes drive and the same with The Blue Lake. There didn't seem to be any amenities or attractions within walking distance of the motel.

I would only stay at this motel again for one night, maybe two and only if the price was cheap.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed January 12, 2018 via mobile

This place is terrible. It was advertised as having a pool & restaurant it had neither. It had free WiFi which was to slow to possibly to use. The mattress was like sleeping on a pile of cement springs; the mattress was honestly the worst thing about this place. The room was dingy, dark & extremely outdated. Our fridge was a tiny brown fridge from the 80s which barely closed. I would have been better keeping my money & sleeping in my car with an esky. Avoid this place!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple