All reviews spacious and comfortable room peaceful location short stay great bed les conditioner supply adelaide
Reviewed March 24, 2018 via mobile

One reviewer "stole" my Title of "Bates Motel". That should say it all! The only saving grace for this place is the beds are great. The owner is mean and miserable - and always right! I had the misfortune of taking 30 Seniors to this place and ordered 17 rooms with three months notice, as to what we all required. Of those seventeen rooms, at least half of them were not up to expectation. Don't even consider - should not have a "Trip Advisor" certificate. The Health Department need to have a look at how communal breakfasts are served without a Bain Marie in sight. Loathe to give this a One Star - should not have any! All of my photos of poor maintenance are not shown here.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank Marlene G
MMGIndependent, Owner at Motel Mount Gambier, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2018

Hello Marlene G
I am pleased that you liked the beds as I have worked very hard in the 8 years I have owned this business to upgrade all the beds (and numerous other items of furniture) in every one of my rooms.

However, I am disappointed to read some of the other comments that you have labeled against me.
I guess starting at the top you indicate that I am mean and miserable and always right.

I have only ever spoken to you just once and over the phone (given that you did not travel with your group).
I recall you started the phone conversation with me by saying who you were and that you expect everything to be perfect for your group.
Now I do understand that since you are the organiser you want things to be good for your club members; but to start a phone conversation off by speaking in a demanding manner for something does not endear yourself to the people that are on the receiving end - given that no one had arrived and or anything had started at this point in time.

This then leads me into the second point.
You elude that you have given me three months notice but we both know that you used a travel agent in your home town to do all the organising and whist he did book the 17 rooms with plenty of notice, you make it sound like you have spoken to me and given me lots of information right from the start.
In addition I am unsure of the meaning “not up to expectation” as you have already mentioned the beds, and the rooms are kept to a high standard of cleanliness and attention to detail which I take pride in, as do my cleaning staff who have been employed here for many years.

Next point.
You indicate that the health department needs to look at me.
Well I am happy to let you know that given I operate a restaurant that they indeed do look at me along with every other hospitality venue in Mount Gambier – and this is all done on a regular basis.
Not only do they look at me but I pass with flying colours each and every time (I have every written report that they have ever done here as my evidence of this – Please feel free to contact the local Health Inspector at the Mt Gambier City Council on 87212555 if further information is required.

You mention the lack of a Bain Marie.
We chose to use Chafing Dishes instead as they are a more portable option.
Given that they are as much of an industry standard as each other for the heating of food, you will find them in many 5 STAR rated restaurants and hotels.

In conclusion.
I notice that you have left out some key information like; on the first morning of their stay here one of your group members informed me that she was an exceptionally light sleeper (anything and everything would wake her up at night) and because of this condition asked if we could relocate her to a room as far away from the road as possible – despite the fact that we were 100% full (no vacancies) that week – we understood this and shifted things around to accommodate her to a room which met her needs. The next morning that same lady expressed sincere gratitude for what we had managed to do for her.
In addition to this I notice the extra photos that have been added since your original comments were posted.
Some of them are very old and no longer applicable (some of the old stuff that I donated to op shops in the first year of my ownership; as detailed at the start of this response) which can only mean one thing - they were taken from various (image) search engines and not from your club members.
A small number of the other photos you have posted are taken from other people’s reviews rather than what you have found, as a number of these items have been updated / replaced / fixed.

Reviewed February 27, 2018

If you're really tired, and just need a bed (like Mary and Joseph) it's better than the car / street. The standard of the room I stayed in was very poor, and while the rooms have an air-conditioner, it just blows air at you from outside. I found the trick is to have a shower at max pre-major burn level, which makes everything after that feel cool. That is, if you can get the shower arm to stay up and not be spraying at the wall.. I fail to see why hotel owners can't maintain basic fittings like shower arms - and check to see if an air-conditioner actually blows cool air..

The television is screwed to a shelf (which always makes me wonder what type of client has been here before me) there is no table to work on if you need to do anything - that may require a table.. WiFi is also a big selling point.. They print you off two slips of paper with pass codes, but the signal strength is so poor you can't access WiFi to even log on, so add your mobile phone data to the cost of the room and use the two bits of paper they give you for WiFi pass codes as a fridge reminder not to come back.. If the place were half the price, I wouldn't complain, but at $108 a night, the cost is far too high for what is offered.

Room Tip: Only if there is nothing else
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
MMGIndependent, Owner at Motel Mount Gambier, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2018

Hello Gary
Sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay here.
As to the air conditioner, I am wondering if it was in the right mode (heating / cooling) to suit your needs. We find that some guests play around with the settings and if this is the case and you are not sure how to rectify this yourself, we are always happy to assist you if you approach us.
As to the shower arm, I will look at that and remedy the situation for you.
The TV is fastened to the shelf because we are a family motel. People / families regularly plug devices into them and the last thing that I want to happen is for a TV to fall onto someone and cause at the very least some discomfort if not something more serious.
As to the WiFi, all I can do is say sorry that your device had trouble connecting but I do have many people who have little or no trouble so I am not sure what I can do for you now. Perhaps if you had let us know you were experiencing problems we could have assisted you in some way.

Reviewed February 3, 2018

I would like to think that this kind of places would be ranked 1-2 stars maximum!!!
The place is old and the rooms as well. The bathroom is tiny and the pool is dirty. We booked here for 3 nights but we ran away as soon as we saw this accommodation. The only good thing here was the fact that the nice guy at reception was happy to give us back some of our money. Avoid!

Room Tip: Go someplace else
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
MMGIndependent, Owner at Motel Mount Gambier, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2018

Hello Oron. Sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations, we will look at the points you highlight. As to star ratings, we do not self rate like many other places - the organisation that rates us covers all over Australia and applies the same criteria for any place in any city / town.

Reviewed January 9, 2018

As expected for the price. Very old furnishings but it was quite clean. Plenty of parking. The pool was too cold to use which was one of the main reasons we booked this. The wi-fi was woeful. Would recommend as a cheap motel for a night while passing through.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
MMGIndependent, Owner at Motel Mount Gambier, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2018

Hello Glen B. I am sorry to hear that Mount Gambier did not have nice warm weather whilst you were here, hence making the swimming pool cold.
As to the WiFi, ever since the NBN came to Mount gambier we have experienced many of the same problems that many Australians all over the country have had to endure; we are hoping that the issues will be rectified before too long but given that this is outside of this business, we can only keep contacting the authorities on this matter.
It is good to hear that you found us a a clean, neat and comfortable motel to stay at though, thank you for staying here.

Reviewed January 4, 2018 via mobile

Good place to stay 1 night anything longer and it’s not worth it. Personally would have recommended to friends and family before the rude service at checkout. Booked a pet friendly room for 3nights- was told we would be given a room close to the back near the lawn. When arrived we were placed in the middle closer to the front. No care or apology was given because the other pet friendly rooms were already occupied.

WARNING they say pet friendly but keep your dogs off the furniture and spare bed at all costs because a single hair will cost you. We removed all bedding from both beds (nothing was particularly wrong with them, just personal choice to use our own) this included the single bed that was included in the room. Dog bedding was placed over the 2 sheets on the single bed and our dog sat on and slept on his own bedding but he still got hair and marks on the sheets. This apparently is an extra cost because the sheets had to be changed on both beds. Even though we booked for 2 people. I have travelled and stayed at many hotels/motels and even work as a housekeeper and have never been asked to pay extra because 2 beds were used for a 2 person booking.

They won’t tell you that your dog is strictly restricted to the floor because they would rather tell you at he end of your stay and charge you extra.

The shower was a disaster, the water came out as a lump of water, and orange/yellow beads were also coming out with it, had to remove them from our hair after the shower. After a quick google they apparently are water softening beads because the water system needs to be cleaned/ flushed.

The tv dropped in and out of service. So maybe bring your own entertainment.

Besides those few issues, the house keeping staff are very nice, and do a great job. The rooms were very clean- as you’d expect. Reception staff/guy/owner is friendly, but can be just as rude.

There is at least one other motel in mt gambier who are pet friendly. I suggest for a longer stay, maybe try them out.

I also suggest the owner/reception disclosed the information regarding the pets not being allowed on anything apart from the floor to avoid future incidents.

*after complaining about the shower and the water softening beads from the shower we got the full $50 dog deposit refunded.

Stayed: January 2018