Craig's Royal Hotel
US$83
Sovereign Park Motor Inn(Ballarat)(Great Value!)
US$122
Ballarat Premier Apartments(Ballarat)(Great Value!)
US$132
Hotels.com
Comfort Inn & Suites City Views(Ballarat)(Great Value!)
US$118
US$101
Oscar's Hotel & Cafe Bar(Ballarat)(Great Value!)
US$98
Seymours on Lydiard(Ballarat)(Great Value!)
US$94
US$87
Hotels.com
Best Western Plus Ballarat Suites(Ballarat)(Great Value!)
US$102
US$94
US$90
US$79
Ballarat Central City Motor Inn(Ballarat)(Great Value!)
US$98
US$95
  • Pool
The Provincial Ballarat(Ballarat)(Great Value!)
US$133
US$113
Priceline
All reviewshigh teacontinental breakfastroyal suiteold world charmgallery restaurantmain barmains and dessertsrestored hotelvalet parking isvalet servicesuperior roomdinner packagestep back in timegrand old hotellast saturdaylovely lunchgold rush
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Craig's reeks of nostalgia. Elegant stairway, beautiful ambience, pleasant and efficient staff. My car was valet parked before I'd completed check-in. I was escorted personally to my room.
I couldn't stay for dinner because of a business meeting, but when I returned at 9.15pm my request for a cheese platter and glass of wine in the elegant restaurant was enacted with charm. Two glasses of Ballarat pinot later and I was relaxed for a relatively early night. My omlette at breakfast was perfectly cooked, attentive and friendly staff, where there was no rush, no rapid clearing of plates but just an attentive enquiry as to whether I'd finished (the omlette was huge!). Check out and my car was at the front door as that was completed. The building is opposite the theatre, and next time, I'll be back with my wife for a show.

Room Tip: Listen to 3AW in Melbiurne for promotional opportunities.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I reserved a 2 night package with one dinner and continental breakfast each day included in a superior room that was supposed to overlook a courtyard. The room allocated on arrival was at the very back of the hotel and overlooked an untidy yard where guests cars are parked. The room was pleasantly decorated with quality fittings, toiletries and linen. The furniture and fitting were well chosen to give an excellent period impression of this great hotel.
The very high mattress on the bed were less easy to deal with a for shorter people and are a challenge to heave yourself up onto the bed (no footstool to help). And you could only view the television if you were up on the bed which was a nuisance. The free wifi didn't work either. The food in the gallery restaurant for dinner was excellent as was the Sunday High Tea in the dining room. All staff were pleasant to deal with and wore smart uniforms. After we returned home I checked my bill and felt I had been overcharged so I queried it and received a fast reply and refund. Apparently the room we had originally reserved wasn't available at check in so they had upgraded us to a deluxe suite (without telling us this). We weren't thrilled with the room we were allocated so I don't know how we would have felt with the originally booked room. A free tour of the hotel following the High Tea revealed some truly delightful rooms however the cost of them may be more than our budget allows.
I have suggested that they upgrade their website to clearly show pictures of the various categories of rooms available perhaps with floor plans to help prospective guests. We would like to stay there again in the future provided we could be properly be assured of the room we were getting, with a bed we could easily get onto and a TV that you can watch from a chair. Craig's Royal is a great hotel and, despite my comments I would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Check clearly with the clerk exactly what type of room you are booking.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lionel41
Reviewed 26 January 2012

What a grand old lady this hotel is! She has been beautifully restored. From the moment you walked in you feel welcome from the decor to the peaceful friendly atmosphere. The coffee shop is ideal for a special gift just your own quiet time to enjoy a step back in time. The bistro has a certain Whow factor. Again it's peaceful and well decorated..souring glass ceiling is a added bonus. Food is a little expensive but well worth it with an excellent choice of yummy food. It's well worth the extra dollars to sit and feel relaxed while you eat!!

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank themotherdingo
Reviewed 19 January 2012

The Hotel takes you back to a time of old world elegance .The accommodation and dinner package was wonderful value. We had a glass of wine in the downstairs lounge before dinner, which consisted of a bottle of wine and two courses. They were helpful with some difficult dietary requirements. The staff attitudes ranged from cool (becoming warm and ultimately very friendly) to those who went out of their way without prompting. The rooms were beautiful. If you really wanted to leave the hotel there is a live theater opposite. If the gaming room was in part of the bar area, rather than near the dining room , it would have improved the ambience even more.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank jennifer c
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Like all other reviews, this hotel is not short on elegance. We've stayed at quite a few heritage hotels around Victoria and I must say, this is one of the best. All the pros we read were true. Our superior room, # 212, wasn't very spacious but was comfortable and very clean. However, the bed was a bit too soft, the electric kettle's power cord was too short so we have to hold the kettle near the extension lead while it boils. This is very annoying and can easily be fixed. Also, the hot water service wasn't consistent.

Reception staff service were very good. We had our New Year's eve dinner at the bistro, and the food was delicious. The only complain would be the lack of staff. We didn't have to wait long for our dinner but don't count on getting extra service like refilling your water.

There wasn't much happening around Ballarat so we were glad there is a gaming room. Overall, we had a great time and would definitely be back again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple