“Amazing food and service”
Review of Mikis Open Kitchen

Mikis Open Kitchen
Price range: US$21 - US$50
Cuisines: Fusion
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Miki's Open Kitchen is tempura dining restaurant in Margaret River that features an open kitchen where guests can comfortably sit around the counter and watch Miki and his team prepare amazing dishes, located at the back of the arcade behind Cafe 131, with a great local wine list Japanese beer and sake, be sure to make a booking as we are only a small restaurant. Open dinner service only Tuesday - Saturday from 6pm
Reviewed January 30, 2018

Visited after having had to cancel a previous booking. Amazing food and flavours. Caters very well for vegetarians. A very pleasant dining experience. All the dishes were explained by our waitress. Would definitely visit again.

Reviewed January 29, 2018 via mobile

We were really looking forward to some innovative Japanese food using beautiful Margaret River produce. Yes the food was attractively arranged on the plate, and yes it was trying very hard to be innovative, but so much of the food was fried, it killed rather than championed the flavours.

The experience felt rushed. Our waitress could not correctly explain the menu (she kept insisting we order Trust Set Menu but when I asked her about the à la carte menu she admitted she was new and didn't know much about it (hence the reason I suspect she kept telling us to order the Trust Set Menu). In order to keep life simple we ordered a Set Menu but partway through my meal when I asked to please change my order from the snapper (tempura) in my main course to the pork loin because my stomach couldn't tolerate more fried food she happily agreed but neglected to tell me it was also fried!

Dessert was very simple, chocolate icecream with candied roasted nuts.

All in all it is unusual to find a Japanese restaurant trying to be innovative in a country town which is 3 hours drive from a main city, but for me it did not live up to such lavish praise and hype.

1  Thank Penny_Cull
Reviewed January 26, 2018 via mobile

Unfortunately Miki's Open Kitchen failed to live up to my expectations. The translation from what is an interesting menu with vibrant and textual ingredients to what actually is served was disappointing. Japanese cuisine typically embraces the strength of the ingredients character quite often in its rawest form and with recognition of the current season. It is the middle of the Australian summer, with an abundance of fresh leafy produce and we're on the West Australian coast, giving access to vast stocks of fresh seafood. From the six courses of the set menu I ordered, four courses consisted of deep fried food (the fifth  was stewed rice containing fried tempura crisps, the sixth was dessert which thankfully not fried) and only the tiniest smattering of fresh vegetables was in the other courses. This was a winter menu, more suited to a cold rainy night than a balmy last January evening. Whilst the craft of the cooking was commendable, the presentationexcellent and the dishes very tasty for what they were (the scallops were sublime once I removed the heavy batter) I still could not shake the feeling of how much better it could been.

3  Thank jxclifton
Reviewed January 24, 2018 via mobile

Second time I've been there and it was amazing again.
If you don't eat something they will make sure you get something else.

Good place to go...
Can't wait to try the new menu

Reviewed January 23, 2018 via mobile

Well worth the visit, we book everyone we come to Margs as the food is fantastic and service is great. This is an interesting dining experience and I would recommend going the Mikis trust where they bring you out a variety of delicious foods that will not disappoint.