All reviewsfree breakfastlocal bakeryold housemusical instrumentsbig houselong termersstayed in a double roomfantastic hostelgreat characterwould recommend this place to anyonecommon areastea and coffeewell equipped kitchencentral locationbackpackershammocksbeds
Reviewed February 24, 2018 via mobile

When you're travelling solo from hostels to hostels, places like Palace Backpacker are what you're looking for. The old fashioned palace knows how to differentiate itself from other hostels by making you feel at home. The staff is super nice, plus they offer breakfast and some free food! Mika was really thoughtful and helped me to find a place to stay when my flight got cancelled

Stayed: February 2018
1  Thank Laf06
Reviewed February 7, 2018

Myself and my friend spent two nights. Short walk from the Intercity bus. The staff was very kind and helpful. The room was nice, bathrooms were clean. Plenty of places to sit and relax outside. There are two kitchens, everything you need. Free breakfast (coffee, tea, cereal, breads with butter or jam). BBQ for all to use.

I cannot complain. I was happy with my stay and would recommend this place to anyone looking to visit the area.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jacob M
Reviewed February 5, 2018

On a busy street above a gas station this hostel manages to be a cute green hideaway. It's clean according to hostel standards and the gorgeous double room I got for the price of a budget single was a bargain. There was happy loud laughter, guitar playing and sing along going on in the common areas downstairs, right below my window, but by eleven pm it was quiet without anyone having to enforce the 11 pm quiet time - this says something about the good atmosphere. Special thanks to Mika at reception for being super thoughtfull, effortlesly professional and sweet!

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Pauliina H
Reviewed December 20, 2017

I cannot say enough good things. The building feels like grandma's house (if she had lived in a gigantic home with several bedrooms!): homey, comfortable, welcoming, friendly, quirky, and - most importantly - always very clean. Books everywhere, plenty of outdoor and common spaces including several balconies and hammocks. I had my best night's sleep in weeks at this backpackers - finally walls that aren't paper thin! The place seems to attract a nice range of chill, respectful guests that are not interested in partying, and the owner is attentive, kind, helpful, and clearly cares a great deal about his property. Bonus: constant supply of pastries and very cool stone showers! Be prepared for several steps to reach this palace on the top of a hill. The workout is totally worth it.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank EJLALALAND
Reviewed December 19, 2017 via mobile

The Palace was exactly what we were looking for. Very friendly and helpful staff. Perfect location within a short walk of everything in Nelson. My wife and I stayed one night in a private room. It was clean and spacious. We would love to go back!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple