4,611 results
All reviewslobstercosta ricamonkey barfusion restaurantspecialty restaurantsjacuzzi baththomson repzip liningpool barmichael jacksongarden viewpura vidanightly showslunch buffetanimal sanctuarybeach vendorswater taxi
Reviewed April 3, 2018

Stayed at this magnificent hotel and did everything! Zip lining, horseback riding, mud baths! Food and rooms were terrific! I would definitely go back and would try their other locations as well! Staff was extremely efficient and polite.

Stayed: March 2018
4  Thank dorster58
Reviewed April 2, 2018

My husband planned a February vacation at Riu Palace. We went through a travel agency and was given this site and all travel plans laid out. We flew out without event, were transported from the airport with no problem. Our issues arose as soon as we left the shuttle and stepped foot on site. We were kept in the lobby for 2 hours or longer. They couldn't find our reservation We provided booking info, and were then accused on not paying. We showed verification via our credit card. They shuffled more and said we didn't do something correctly and they had to contact their offices. Long story short, we did everything correctly and the shuttle, agency, credit card company along with everyone BUT the front desk. They had overbooked and we (despite paying) were left without a room. We were not offered anything to drink but beer (we don't drink beer) and no food (hadn't eaten in a while due to flight, etc). We offered to just pay again while they straightened it out and were told they had rooms so just wait. We waited and waited and were then told that there were no rooms and they were moving us to the sister resort next door. No apologies, no let me make this up to you, nothing! It took a month and lots of pushing to have them finally reimburse the room cost difference. I wouldn't stay with this company ever again even if it were free. Horrible experience all around

Room Tip: double check and check again your reservation and then make sure you have proof or they will not treat you right even if they make a mistake
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
14  Thank 914hollyn
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2018

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and for expressing your concerns.

We are sorry to learn that you experienced an issue with your booking, and therefore we kindly encourage you to contact for further assistance your travel agency as you did not book directly with RIU.

We sincerely hope you will give us another chance to demonstrate the high standards of service and quality that are typical of our hotels.

With our best wishes we remain,

Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica
Online Reputation Manager

Reviewed April 2, 2018

We stayed over Christmas 2017 and while Christmas dinner was not perhaps the hotels finest hour in all other respects it was great stay. They hotel is well appointed and never seems crowded even when full. The all inclusive food and drinks are wonderful but do lead to overindulgence ( don't expect to come home the same weight as you left). The hotels situation in near virgin jungle with a nice long sandy beach make it an easy place to spot wildlife, from numerous bird species, iguanas, three types of monkey, turtles, dolphins and much more below the waves. All inclusive resorts are not the sort of holiday we usually book but the Riu Palace proved to be a very enjoyable experience and at an affordable price. Recommended

Stayed: April 2018
3  Thank Studio46
Reviewed March 31, 2018

Spent 2 wonderful yet anguishing weeks at the Riu Palace in Guanacaste from the end of January to the beginning of February. Let me start with what a bunch of wonderful, kind , considerate, helpful workers that are employed at the Riu Palace! 5 stars to them! Food was excellent for all inclusive food. Always plenty of choices and quality food. The hotels cleanliness is second to none! Housekeeping was wonderful.
The pool was filthy! The only other pool I've seen this dirty was at the Riu Palace in St. Martin. Every, and I mean every morning I was one of the first at the pool as it opened and all I could feel was slime on the floor from sunscreen, plastic cups everywhere along with straws floating about. The handicap ramp was utterly a disgrace to look at! Someone should lose their jobs for the condition of this pool. I guess this takes us to management. The anguishing portion of our trip begins on day one when I was given a room below the first floor and told is was an ocean view suite! Please let me go back in time a couple of months and let you know I had called down to Costa Rica to reserve a special room we had stayed in last year, and was told it was available and would be ready upon arrival.Well this wasn't the case but
I will tell you the next day we had the pleasure of giving up a half days vacation to move everything to a different room from which you could actually see the ocean.
This was wonderful for 2 or 3 days until the air conditioning went out! Mind you I read the Trip advisor reports for where I stay and I know this isn't the first time this has happened. Naturally, we went to the front desk and the staff went into true Riu mode as I like to call it. They were shocked as all hell to hear of this problem! " Am I sure? Did I turn it off? is the sliding door opened? (Mind you its hotter than hell every day there.) Of course I didn't turn it off. and as usual I end up speaking to a Mgr. who's unaware of the ENTIRE HOTEL BEING WITHOUT A/C!!! So, we put up with this crap for 2 and a half days and I finally get pissed off at all the lies and tell the Mgr. I'd like to know when it will be fixed. When I say Riu mode you'll understand as his reply was "remember you need me I don't need you" Wow what a set on him! So the bad taste in my mouth comes from Antonio Madrid and his arrogant stance with a good customer, When I say good I mean diamond level in the RIU world! (what a crock) Although my wife is killing me to go back, I do have my reservations.
Other than that we had a great time!

Room Tip: Hope ofr the best and don't worry until you get a bad one
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Joe H
Reviewed March 30, 2018

Costa Rica was great choice for weather - hot and sunny, mid 30s each day and no rain. Riu Palace resort is nice, and spacious. However, rooms are dated and poorly decorated/maintained. People are friendly, food/drinks was comparable or better than other all inclusives. Biggest drawback is the beach - dark sand, dark water, rarely used...not like Caribbean (or perhaps other areas of Costa Rica). Worth booking Riu Palace over the Riu Guanacaste - friends had been staying there and moved over.

Stayed: March 2018
2  Thank mjd071
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2018

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing RIU Hotels & Resorts for your holiday and for taking the time to give us your valued feedback.

We are pleased to inform you that at RIU, we are constantly working on the renovation and maintenance of our hotel portfolio ranging from Europe via Africa and Asia to America. We have set ourselves the goal of bringing all hotels up to date, which is achieved step by step. Of course, we will share your impressions with the relevant department, to make adjustments if necessary, or to take them into consideration for future refurbishments.

We hope to get another chance to welcome you again at one of our worldwide RIU hotels in order to deliver the high standards of guest service and quality which are typical at our resorts.

With our best wishes we remain,