“modern comfort, gracious hosts, close to...”
other travellers have booked this property
ASH Room.  This is a double room and is located on the ground floor, with its own private bathroom.
Guest Lounge, with big leather sofas and cushions.  Books, magazines and fruit is available here. Fully fitted kitchen, including cooker, hob, extractor, fridge/freezer, dishwasher and washer/dryer.
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
One of three stylish bathrooms, located on the ground floor, with complimentary White Co. toiletries
View from the Kitchen window.
New Weber BBQ at The Old Joinery
OAK Room.  This has a KingSize bed and en-suite bathroom, with stunning views over open countryside.
One of three stylish bathrooms, located on the first floor with complimentary White Co toiletries.
View from one of the bedroom windows at The Old Joinery.
ELM Room.  This is a twin room with en-suite bathroom and stunning views over open countryside.
View from The Old Joinery - The Cherhill White Horse.
Converted barn style building, set back from the main house, renovated to an extremely high standard
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available
Overview
Cottage -
3 Bedrooms, 3 Bathrooms, Sleeps 6
Cherhill, Calne, Wiltshire, England

Reviews from our community

Excellent - based on 80 reviews

Reviews from our community

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Any
Susan G
San Diego, California, United States
“modern comfort, gracious hosts, close to antiquities”
Reviewed November 18, 2014 for a stay in November 2014

I want to add my praise to the other glowing reviews listed here for The Old Joinery. The place is lovely, and Nicola and Paul are as helpful and generous as they are friendly. I spent just one night here during a weekend between business meetings in Norwich and Oxford, with my heart set on seeing Stonehenge and Avebury. I am usually very organized about my travel, but someone else was supposed to be planning for me and rather dropped the ball. Thus, I ended up arriving after noon on a Saturday with no plan of how to get to the stone circle sites. Paul personally dropped me off and picked me up at Avebury (really close by) Saturday afternoon, and Nicola worked quickly for me on Saturday evening to arrange a car for me Sunday afternoon to take me to Stonehenge. She arranged a great price for the driver to drive me there (about 45 minutes), wait for me (about an hour and a half), and bring me back (another 45 minutes -- all for 60 pounds). I had some "currency issues" and she even worked out an arrangement so I could pay the driver without any fuss. She let me use my room later in the day than usual so I would have a place to be picked up by a driver to take me to Oxford.
The room itself was comfortable and modern. It even had that rare and coveted feature: ample accessible electric outlets to plug in electronics! The bathroom was modern and nice as well. An electric teapot and tea/coffee assortment plus biscuits are available in the room. The wifi signal is good, and the service acceptably fast. Nicola offers a very nice breakfast spread in a lovely enclosed sunroom. There is a common living room area in addition to the three bedrooms (each with baths -- I think the upstairs rooms have ensuite bathrooms; mine was just outside my bedroom door on the main level). The only thing I didn't like is that the doors are all locked and unlocked both inside and out with old clunky skeleton keys, so you have to fool around with the big keys just to open the front or bedroom door from the inside. I understand the charm, but it was a nuisance.
You can hike up to the Cherhill Horse cut into the hillside (dates from 1780) right from the B&B. I recommend it (but it can be very muddy and slippery, so dress accordingly). The view from the top of the Down is beautiful.
The Black Horse is a pub across the road, and the food was really good. They close for awhile in the afternoon, so check the hours (which were not correct on the web).
Americans -- long-distance taxis are not common at home, but it seems to be the way to get around in the English countryside if you aren't up to driving on the left side with a rental car. There are buses, but not necessarily convenient for tourists. Plan what you want to see in advance and contact Nicola to book with the drivers she has worked with. (and I don't mean to suggest counting on Paul to take you to Avebury -- it was a nice favor he did when I was stranded and Nicola was out at an appointment ). You can book the taxis well in advance.
Avebury is a must-see, and The Old Joinery is in an excellent location for visiting it. Although it might not have been the best location for visiting Stonehenge, in the end it worked out perfectly for me to pack in Avebury, Stonehenge, and a really lovely hike up to the Horse, all in a bit over 24 h. Thanks, Nicola and Paul, for making my weekend countryside vacation a big success!

Cleanliness Service
Travelling group: Solo
Kaele89
“Lovely stay!”
Reviewed November 15, 2014 for a stay in October 2014
person found this review helpful

Great stay, very nice people! Everything was up to scratch, clean, modern, lovely breakfast, also an amazing setting area, most importantly a great traditional country pub 50 yards away that serves nice food!

Value Rooms
Swimcoach...
Wiltshire, United Kingdom
“Return Visit”
Reviewed October 2, 2014 for a stay in October 2014

It was our second stay at the Old Joinery, yet again a warm welcoming reception with tea & cake.
Nicola is a warm , consicentious and generous host. All you could wish to relax in this wonderful place. We cannot recommend this B & B highly enough!

Travelling group: Couples
Charlotte...
Hartley Wintney, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed October 1, 2014 for a stay in August 2014

Stayed for a wedding at a nearby barn and had a lovely stay. The hostess was great. Breakfast was delicious. The room was lovely and clean and very quiet. Really lovely renovation of the workshop into holiday lets. Would certainly recommend.

Value Location
Travelling group: Couples
Your age range 25-34
Herminato...
“The Old Joinery is a delight.”
Reviewed September 30, 2014 for a stay in August 2014

We stayed for a night at The Old Joinery when we attended a wedding nearby. The owners were friendly and helpful. The room was clean, modern and looked lovely. We were even brought a slice of homemade lemon drizzle cake each on arrival. After a comfortable night we had a fantastic breakfast of full English (for my hubby) and smoked salmon with scrambled eggs (for me), fruit, croissants, toast with homemade jam.
We would definitely stay here again. Superb!

Value Rooms
marquisof...
Tenbury Wells, United Kingdom
“Two nights in Cherhill”
Reviewed September 29, 2014 for a stay in September 2014

Reviewing at the request of the owner.
I stayed here for two nights in early September along with two colleagues. A warmer welcome you will not find anywhere, coffee and cake on arrival. There are three letting rooms in the detached barn all very nicely appointed but rather compact. I had one of the upper rooms,ELM? which had two single beds. The slopping roof means if you are over 5'9" or so you will need to remember to duck whilst negotiating at night to the bathroom. The bathroom or rather shower room, again nicely appointed, but again compact, at 6'3" I had to stoop in the shower and come out into the bedroom to swing a towel around my back.
Although situated right on the A4 the noise from the road at night was surprisingly un-noticable even with the window wide open, it was rather warm in the eves.
Breakfast was great with the usual fare plus a daily special.
Despite the size issues of this establishment I will return here if I am in the area again.

Value Cleanliness
Visit was for: Business
Travelling group: Business
MarcoCarp...
Lancashire, UK
“Superb Escape”
Reviewed September 16, 2014 for a stay in September 2014

I happened upon the Old Joinery since we implemented a self-administered booking system at work and this place was a little gem! The decor was superb and the hospitality second to none so would thoroughly recommend this establishment to anyone who needs to stay in the area

Rooms Cleanliness
Visit was for: Business
Travelling group: Business
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing