All reviews honesty bar brigadiers bar free punch veranda room sorbet colonial style other guests each evening continental breakfast hotel restaurant barramundi small kitchenette across the road the general manager ceiling fan relaxing stay lovely room
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We booked this last minute as we wanted to escape the Melbourne winter.
This was our first time to Palm Cove and loved the area. The restaurants and main street are fantastic. The Reef House was OK. It's right in the centre of Palm Cove so the location is excellent. However, It is a little tired and outdated. The public areas and the restaurant is lovely and has amazing views reaching out to the beach. The reception staff were fantastic, very friendly and helpful. Our room was OK, but for the price (over $500 per night) we paid it really wasn't up to standard. The room was on a corner and the view was slightly obscured and noisy trucks coming down the side street in the morning. We had a spa on the verandah but it didn't feel inviting to use. We booked into the $1 per person continental breakfast special. I know this seems a bargain but again when you are paying that price it was ordinary. Plain "Kellogs" style cereal, stale bread and unappealing fruit. It is the type of breakfast I would expect at a 3* resort. We would happily go back to Palm Cove but would give the Reef House a miss.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Wayne H, Manager at The Reef House Palm Cove - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear sparkyblb,
Thank you very much for staying with us at the Reef House in Palm Cove.
We are sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us as much as we would have liked. We have read and understand the concerns you have raised with us. I am sure we can make some changes to ensure a better experience for others in the future.
Thank you very much sparkyblb, we are sorry once again and hope that you do change your mind and stay with us again.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

My mother and I stayed at the Reef House for a winter getaway. We had the most amazing time, beautiful staff members who are very friendly, stunning property and the location... WOW! Walking distance to everything Palm Cove has to offer.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family

Dear Rebeccah C.
Thank you so very much for your kind review and your decision to stay with us. It is terrific to know that you had an enjoyable time with us while you were visiting Tropical North Queensland.
Please have a great weekend and thank you again,

Reviewed September 15, 2018 via mobile

This was my first visit to Reef House for over 20 years. The location is perfect, the property is exceptionally well maintained and the staff are excellent.

There may be more glamorous places in Palm Cove but Reef House has its own unique charm. Little things like the Honesty Bar make you feel right at home.

Go here.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Burgy23,
Thanks so much for staying with us and posting such a terrific review about your stay.
Our Colonial Style beach house was established 1972 and we still maintain the tranquility and ambiance of our founder Brigadier David Thomson created. You are correct, there are new hotels in Palm Cove however none can replicate the feel of walking into your very own Colonial Style beach house for a relaxing holiday.
Thank you again Burgy23, we hope to see you back one day in the future.

Reviewed September 12, 2018

We chose Reef House after looking at all the options available at Palm Cove that would suit a 3 day break from Sydney to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary and couldn’t be happier.
Upon arrival which they organised from the Cairns airport we were offered a room upgrade from the Brigadier Spa beachfront room we booked to a quiet 2 bedroom room at the back, but we declined. The room we booked was more than enough. In the fridge was a bottle of champagne and chocolates on the bedside table. Even though it was beachfront it was on the 1st floor and completely private.
The hotel itself has charm with all the facilities of a 5 star residence and is located almost in the middle of the Palm Cove ‘strip’ that runs along the beach, so the walk to any of the dining or shopping places is not far at all. The hotel has all the facilities you’d expect. The concierge was very helpful for sightseeing and there are plenty of places to relax. All the staff that we met exceptional. Everything was fantastic and satisfied all of our expectations.
Of the facilities, the main pool was a little ‘refreshing’, but the other pool that is heated was perfect with lounges and towels readily available, and the restaurant definitely has to be tried. The honour bar is a great idea (but of course it does shut at night). If we stayed longer we would have tried the bikes but we couldn’t fit it in.
Yes we would/will definitely return to The Reef House again.

Stayed: September 2018
Wayne H, General Manager at The Reef House Palm Cove - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear mobogo,
The team and I just wanted to say thanks so much for staying with us and writing such a nice review. Most guests do stay with us for at least 4 to 5 nights, this allows for sight seeing and time to relax and enjoy the tropical climate by the pool all day if you wish. In the mid afternoon we also serve a complimentary refreshing sorbets by the pool to anybody who is there. This is just one example of our little touches.
Thank you again mobogo, we are so pleased to know that you loved your stay.

Reviewed September 11, 2018 via mobile

I stayed for 3 nights to refresh and rejuvenate during time out from a busy and stressful job. I can’t fault my experience. I stayed in a room overlooking the main pool and it was a large and very comfortable room. Every staff member I encountered were friendly and helpful. No request was an issue for them. Cocktails were lovely, and staff would offer to bring them to the room rather than have you wait a short time in the bar for it to be made. Every single meal I had was sensational. Highly recommend the gnocchi with mushrooms, walnuts and truffle oil (picture attached) and also the hot seafood taster. If I had to be picky, I’d say that I was disappointed that my king size bed was actually two king single beds joined together which meant sleeping in the middle of the bed was not comfortable due to the raised section. A beautiful Ulysses butterfly flew past my balcony while I was laying there reading a book, and that topped off a truly beautiful and relaxing stay. I’d highly recommend Reef House and I’ll make this my ‘go to’ place for time out in future. I previously stayed at Sea Temple and this place is much better. TIP: The surf club does takeaway grog from their bottle shop and it’s only a couple of hundred metres walk from Reef House. If you want to save a little money I’d recommend buying some beers to keep in your room as beers are about $10 each.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo

Dear katras34,
Thank you very much for staying with us at the Reef House in stunning Palm Cove. It was so nice to recently read your review and learn that you had a great holiday with us.
The Reef House is fortunate to have a great team willing to please, no matter what it takes. We like to think of it as Easy and No Customer Effort, so many of our service decisions are based around this idea.
Knowing that you will return means a lot and is the best compliment we could ask for. Next time you book please let us know about your bedding request, we will make sure that we allocate a room with a full king-size mattress,
Thank you very much once again katras34, we hope to see you again soon.