“Best hostel in Airlie”

Backpackers by the Bay
Reviewed 2 August 2017

Peter is a great guy and is so welcoming, friendly and helpful. We loved the beds and that they had convenient shelves for each bed and sliding doors to let air in. The hostel isn't a party hostel which we personally enjoy but at the same time you can still drink alcohol and there is a bar and quiz night which is quite fun. You can get breakfast for $3 which is either continental with fruit or eggs and toast which I've never seen as an option in a hostel before. The bathrooms were clean and the showers were the best of any hostel in Australia in my 15 months. The pictures of half naked men were amusing in the bathroom too! The hammocks are a great lounging place and the patio area in general is relaxing. Some people might complain about the 5 minute walk into town from the hostel but it is so worth it to be away from the hustle and bustle of the town and all the drunkards.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
peter u, Manager at Backpackers by the Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2017

Thank you for all the good words, we couldn't describe our hostel more accurate. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and happy that you liked our hostel and its chilled vibe. Safe travels and many many more good experiences here in Australia :)

There are newer reviews for Backpackers by the Bay

Reviewed 3 July 2017

This hostel is old fashioned but the beds were comfortable, the toilets and showers were clean, Jo and Lorenzo at reception were lovely and helped us feed the cockatoos and book what turned out to be an awesome Thundercat tour, the atmosphere was relaxed and friendly and everything is pretty much what you would expect from a hostel. It is a 5 minute walk from the main strip so it's nice and quiet. I stayed with two friends and as there was nobody else booked into our room of 4 beds, we ended up with a private room and it came with lockers and blankets (just byo locker and the blankets are thin but it's generally quite warm, even in winter). Overall we were pretty happy with the whole experience!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
peter u, Owner at Backpackers by the Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2017

thanks for taking the time to make a comment - it means a lot to the staff who really are quite fantastic- travel safe and call your folks to tell them you miss them - you never know when it may come in handy

Reviewed 18 June 2017

I feel harsh leaving a 3 star review because the staff were super helpful and I don't feel the negatives are their fault but I think management need to see truthful feedback.

Pros:
Jo was fabulous on reception - she have us tonnes of advice, helped us book a Whitsundays tour very last minute and sorted out our hostel room etc.
The hostel is sociable with a large communal area which is nice - daily they run quizzes and you can buy food from behind reception. You can buy alcohol in the hostel from the bar or can BYO but no drinking or eating in the rooms(?).
Free Wifi.
Cockatoos come for feeding!
Towels and fresh linen.
Clean room.

Cons:
As some other reviews have said - the hostel desperately needs renovation - cleanliness was a bit of an issue but not due to the staff - more due to how clean can wall cracks or old showers or stained toilets really be. Meant there was always a bit of a grimy feel. The kitchen was super sticky and definitely needs a good clean - and again probably doing up.
They have these fake plants hanging from the ceiling for atmosphere but are full of cobwebs - a very minor point but bothered me.
Bongo drums until midnight outside our AC vent - this wasn't the hostels' fault but some of the guests - I think we were just unfortunate with the positioning of our AC vent, and it wasn't EVERY night.

So all in all, the staff were great and I feel most of the negatives are to do with the building needing upgrading... I probably would stay here again but it was 20 dollars more for a double room here than at magnums so not sure.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2017 via mobile

I stayed here for a week in a shared room with 4 beds. I was gone most of the days, but when I got back the people here were friendly. Cool little bar to meet other people.The staff were helpful and great to be around. I recommend this place if you're looking for a cheap accommodation and to be around other travelers. It isn't right in town(5 min walk). No issues getting a good sleep.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 April 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights prior to our whitsundays trip.
We booked a private room which was nicely decorated although did smell a bit like an old ladies house!
The hostel itself is a steep walk up from the greyhound bus stop and a little out of town but is nice enough.
The showers were communal and not the cleanest we have seen, the kitchen area was well organised and had a big seating area.
The laundry area wasn't overly great as it was $4 a wash and the same for a dry but the dryer didn't even dry our clothes so we ended up spending a fortune!!
Overall the hostel is nice just a little bit pricy for what your getting.

Stayed: March 2017
Reviewed 27 April 2017 via mobile

This hostel has a nice little vibe going on, especially when compared to the more party focused hostels in Airlie beach. It has good facilities (a pool, hammocks etc) and is extremely well placed for this getting the greyhound bus. Town is only a 5 minute walk away, really not as far as other posts seem to suggest.
My only critisism is that the toilets could use an update.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2017 via mobile

I had booked 2 nights in this hostel 2 weeks after cyclone debbie only because my Airbnb was destroyed by the storm. Now, I am sympathetic to everyone in Airlie beach post debbie, there is a lot of work to do but I felt this hostel was using it as an excuse of sub par standards.

I had booked through booking.com but because of debbie they didn't have a record of my accommodation even though booking.com called me personally to confirm and tell me they didn't have power. I was able to get a bed in a mixed 4 bed room once the receptionist explained she didn't have any record of me. The room hadn't been set up yet, which was fine but the whole hostel just appeared grimy. pre-cyclone debbie dust and dirt. The room was stuffy and tiny, in dire need of updating and the bathroom was in another building on the other side of the hostel and didn't appear to be terrible clean either.

The common area was again dirty looking and humid, there didn't appear to be any air con anywhere in the hostel.

I understand that a cyclone hit Airlie Beach, but this hostel looks like it hasn't had a proper deep clean in years. It needs serious cleaning and probably a renovation. I ended up staying at another hostel in town and for the same price I had a very clean, spacious 4 bed suite with an ensure bathroom and shower, and a mini fridge.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo