“Authentic Thai food found in quiet Cessnock”

Al-Oi Thai Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 128 Restaurants in Cessnock
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 October 2016

We originally wanted to avoid Asian food during our entire 2 week trip not sure if they would be authentic but when we ran out of options, we decided to give this place a try (not read about it at all). The place is popular and we found the menu pretty good. The food is excellent and prepared similar to what you can find in Thailand although we did not ordered the famous Tom Yam soup, we tried non-spicy options but when I asked for fresh cut chilies with soya source, the real thing came. The Thai owners are very warm and friendly and I would recommend the place to anyone.

Reviewed 23 October 2016 via mobile

I moved up here from Sydney and this Thai will give Sydney a run for its money. I dine here all the time as the food is always incredible. My favorite dish is the Tom yum soup. The prawns are always fresh and delicious

Reviewed 18 October 2016 via mobile

Went here with my friend and her young son. The lady working was very welcoming and accomodating. We ordered off the lunch menu. I had the Chicken Cashew Nut which was nice however the chicken was a tad dry. My friend had the Pad Thai and loved it. The lady even brought out a plastic bowl for the young child so he could eat properly. Very nice gesture.

Reviewed 15 October 2016

Stopped in for late dinner with a friend. Cessnock is pretty dead during the week, but this place looked delicious. My friend has lived in Thailand but can't do spicy, so we split the Tom Yum soup (they brought us two bowls so we could split it) with lots of nice chicken in it to warm us up on a cool night. I got a pumpkin curry, because we don't really have that in the U.S. and it sounded interesting. It was good, but sweet -- a nice experiment, but I wouldn't get it again. I think Australian pumpkin is what we call Kabocha squash. Anyway. My friend had the green curry which they assured her was not spicy. I thought it still had a kick, but with the coconut milk she said it was fine for her (so relieved).

It's BYO wine or beer, so we ordered our meal and popped down the street to the hotel to buy a bottle of outstanding wine (sadly for where we were, it was New Zealand wine, but it was *really* good). By the time we got back, our food was ready. Nice, friendly staff. Recommend.

Reviewed 8 October 2016 via mobile

Loveeee these guys! Delicious food, friendly service and an easy going atmosphere. Food was super tasty and I'll be back