“Beautiful outdoor dining with the worst scones”

The Carrington Dining Room
Ranked #22 of 102 Restaurants in Katoomba
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 4, 2018

The main dining room was not open. We ordered at the bar and were given a number to put on our table so that our food could be delivered. We were told to take our plates, silverware, napkins, salt/pepper, and sugar out to the table we chose. I am not accustomed to this being from out of the country so I may be critiquing what may be the norm. I have traveled a lot and absolutely LOVE high tea. We were hoping to have high tea but it was not available on the weekday afternoon when we visited. We instead had a Chicken Pesto Pasta and the Devonshire Tea which included 2 freshly baked scones and hot tea. I have had scones from Canada to all around the US, the Caribbean, and the Pacific. The scones at the Carrington reminded me of bread rolls with sprinkled powdered sugar. In the end, we visited the local grocery store for much better scones. When I went back to the bar to pay my bill I was very surprised that the bartender had the audacity to print out a credit card bill with the option to tip? I only experienced that in 2 other restaurants in Australia and that was at a sit down fine dining restaurant where the server actually waited on you and not where I had to get all of my own plates, utensils, etc... I honestly believe it was because I was American and they were hoping I would leave a tip regardless of the food and lack of deserving service. I'm sorry I wasted an afternoon there.

Reviewed April 1, 2018

We had a wonderful 2 course dinner and the food was amazing. Scallops for Entree and crispy skin Barramundi for Mains. Could not fit dessert in. Service was first class. Continental Breakfast was served the following morning and again was excellent.

Reviewed March 23, 2018

The dining room is a delightful reminder of old world décor. The food however was very modern and delicious. The service was friendly and efficient and the pianist was a nice touch.

Reviewed March 23, 2018 via mobile

Beautiful room, fantastic service and amazing service.
Dinner for anniversary as a treat. The two amazing ladies who served us topped off some very nice meals. Wife's chicken was great as was my salmon. Entree i had was the zucchini flowers stuffed with feta and i highly recommend. We enjoyed some cocktails from the bar as well. Sadly meals were big enough we had no room for desert.
Piano being played was a fantastic inclusion. Recommended.

Reviewed March 7, 2018

I ate here last Saturday with an elderly aunt and it was a sumptuous meal. We elected to have three courses and were not disappointed by any of them. Pork belly to start was melt in the mouth. I then had the duck which was good but not as great as the sirloin my aunt had, the last bit of which I polished off. We could hardly fit in our chocolate mousses but they looked as beautiful as they tasted - half a sphere of mousse surrounded by hard chocolate with cake and praline. The service was impeccable and the whole dinner was reminiscent of times gone by when the blue mountains were an escape from Sydney's summer and fine dining was a long and very pleasant experience.