“Stay went well, no hassles, nice manager”
Review of Perouse Lodge

Perouse Lodge
Ranked #3 of 10 Randwick B&B and Inns
Wollongong, Australia
“Stay went well, no hassles, nice manager”
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Nice old building in a really good location close to cafes etc. The manager was really helpful and flexible with checking in etc. Small simple but clean rooms, Would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Booked for a week here paid $880/wk because it was January and there's a lot of people booking to go to the beach. The location is very near the bus stops, shops, Randwick shopping center, church, hospital and beach. We requested room on higher floor at the back, we had view and it was quiet. First impression was it was an old accommodation needing a bit of make over. Tip, if you have heaps of luggage like us it can be quite a struggle to get them up. We have a double room which is quite small. We had to move the bed to the wall to make walking to the toilet easier. The room is as clean as it could be, because it needs some makeover, the carpets appears so worn out and dirty, the shower door wouldn't close which I have informed the cleaners twice. The sink in the toilet is big enough to wash dishes. The fridge is bigger than bar fridge which was really good. Our room had cutleries, electric tea pot, cups and glasses. We had a small TV, airconditioning was good, the size of the cabinet would be enough for 2-3 days travel. We managed to arrange our 4 huge luggage to make the room comfortable for me and my husband. No room cleaning so whenever I hear cleaners outside, I give them our very wet bath rugs for a new one and hand them our rubbish..a roll of rubbish bags are provided.
In the common kitchen at the ground floor, they have 2 microwaves, a stove and oven. There you can use utensils for cooking. There is also 1 huge washing machine and 1 huge dryer that costs $4 each to use. The courtyard at the back is also nice to sit while waiting for your laundry or while cooking. Reception is not 24hrs. Main door is closed at 8pm and you can use your room key to enter. There is a cafe at the main floor however for the week we stayed it was closed so we were not able to try them out.
Staff are friendly. I would recommend Perouse Lodge specially if you get a discounted booking because they can get pretty expensive for the type of accommodation they provide.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed 27 December 2011

We were greeted at reception by a young woman called Romsel. Check-in was very efficient and professional, we'd booked our room online and only had to sign one form once. That's the sort of check-in I like. The room itself was a little small but otherwise fine, while the ensuite was of acceptable size. Though not brand spanking new the lodge is contemporary in terms of furniture, fittings, etc.

The room had a wardrobe which is of sufficient capacity for a couple travelling with several days worth of luggage. A wooden cupboard unit contained a bar fridge, kettle, tea, coffee, and sugar, a small selection of cutlery and crockery, plus a DVD player for the TV. There is a nice cafe right outside the front door which is great for breakfast and coffee.

We had a room at the back which was quiet. A group of people were chatting in the hallway rather animatedly on the ground level near the lodge entrance as we came in one evening, so I could imagine rooms nearby could be noisy unless they have some sort of sound proofing. By the way, the lodge has a number of staircases, but no lifts, in case that is an issue.

All up our stay was enjoyable, and while we were really only sleeping there as we were out for most of the day, would certainly stay again.

One thing though, we knew towels would be changed, and bins emptied, every 2 days (we stayed several nights), which we were fine with. Now we'd had a rather late night and were woken by the cleaner at about noon (so it's not like it was super early or anything) asking if we wanted a towel change.

We could not find a 'do not disturb' sign in the room to put on the door though. The option to opt-out of such things would have been nice and 'do not disturb' signs surely couldn't be too much trouble to supply?

Room Tip: Rooms near the entrance & reception could be noisy, ask for something upstairs or at the back.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I am very happy to be staying at the Perouse Lodge, Randwick again, for 16 days. I believe this says much about the place.

I am not an overly-fussy person, but I do like to be able to feel comfortable - and I'm quite comfortable at the Perouse Lodge.

It seems to be a rather busy place - I made my bookings in August 2011, for a stay in December 2011.

I keep reading about the high price of staying at the Perouse Lodge. However, I've paid more for a much smaller room in many parts of Japan.

The place is kept clean by the staff. It is rather unfortunate that some guests mess up the kitchen (which I use a lot) and do not clean up after themselves :( This is the reason for my slighty-less-than-Excellent rating for "Cleanliness".

There are some areas in the room which I am staying in and in the kitchen which require some upgrading, but I guess it would be done in good time ... before my next visit ;)

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 22 December 2011

i was only in for the one night myself and my 8 month old baby.. i arrived after hours so my key was in the safe box out the front.. i was lucky to get one of the parking spots out the back at that hour so it was easier to carry my luggage up the stairs ( baby in the other arm haha). my room was small but for one night it was enough.. the bed was comfy... a couple of negatives.. my lamp didn't work , and i cut myself on small shards of glass on the floor under the bedside table ( trying to find out why the lamp didn't work)... i did let the receptionist know when i handed in my key..

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank F_P00
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 13 December 2011

In the past i've resorted to tripadvisor when i wasnt happy with a hotel but i've decided to post reviews when i've been very happy in hotels i've stayed. On arrival at the perouse lodge i wasnt sure what to expect as i had read some mixed reviews. Myself and my partner were staying there for our last week in sydney after 1.5 years living there between ending the lease on our furnished apartment and flying home.

Checkin at reception was quick, we werent asked for a credit card as they had that from the booking and had the room key in a few seconds. My first impression was that the room was small and a little dark but once i seen the large modern bathroom, powerful shower, airconditioning and large fridge, plates and other bits in the room we were happy.
The hotel had a small courtyard downstairs with a bbq and a kitchen with 2 microwaves, a cooker and a laundry with ironing board. Guests have their own plates and cutlery in the rooms so its nice not to have to use shared stuff from the kitchen.
The bed was nice and firm and very comfy. At the front of the hotel there is a small cafe which served which served very nice food and had friendly nice.

The Cambodian receptionist who checked us in and checkout was very professional and friendly and really made a difference to our experience in the hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank eastwesteire
France
Reviewed 5 November 2011

Perouse Lodge is very well located within minutes of lots of good restaurants and shops and a 15 minute walk to UNSW. The lady at reception was lovely and obliging, and the room was well equipped with TV, fridge etc. My main criticism is the size of the room which is really too small for two people. As a result only one side of our bed had a bedside table with lamp (as the other side was pushed too close to the wall). The ensuite needs some counter space and hooks to be more comfortable. We got free internet as we had a long booking which was a nice surprise. The rooms are clean and the air conditioning was very welcome! Parking is very challenging as there are only three spaces available as part of the property.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back as it's quiet.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple