“A little find in Mooloolaba”
Review of Char Mooloolaba

Char Mooloolaba
Ranked #13 of 199 Restaurants in Mooloolaba
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed September 6, 2017

We happened upon this lovely Restaurant by chance in Mooloolaba my wife and I were looking for a nice romantic evening out together and wanted to sample some of the local seafood. We enjoyed the food which is well presented and the restaurant has a nice ambience the food is accompanied by great service. The night we were there the manager and his lovely daughter were on duty and made us feel very welcome helping us to decide on which dishes to choose with their in-house knowledge of which food and wines would suit our taste buds. We were very pleased with the experience now this is not a hamburger takeaway shop but a nice restaurant which serves very good food and wine for those seeking the fine dinning experience while visiting the Sunshine coast.

Reviewed September 2, 2017 via mobile

What a great dining experience. The staff were welcoming and genuinely friendly. Wine selection was great. We loved our food which was cooked exactly as we ordered. We had oysters to start, followed by eye fillet and finished with affogato. We really enjoyed our night. Thanks very much. The new position was a bonus. We'll be back next time we visit Mooloolaba.

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed August 25, 2017 via mobile

When we last visited in September17 this restaurant was not in its current location
When visiting today decided to give it a try
Made very welcome quick service with the drinks
The menu is extensive but prices at the top end
The presentation of the meal was great and cooked as requested
Would visit again

Reviewed August 24, 2017 via mobile

Looked for nice dinner in Mooloolaba.Had walked past several times and read reviews.Great selection of drinks.Table service very good although being a midweek night was reasonably quiet.Entrees were delicious.Had to have a steak as their name suggested to emulate great steaks.Was not disappointed.Cooked great.Some may think on pricey side but after other dinners in area i would not hesitate to go back.

Reviewed August 22, 2017

What can i say? Amateurish at best. Yesterdays coleslaw served with "Wagyu" that was not cooked to my specifications nor was it "Wague" by any stretch of the imagination.(Be careful guys, You never know how much your customer knows and who is going to review you) Overpriced and unprofessional. We were a walk in so we did not stand on the pavement and check the prices. Decor lovely on a positive note. It was just convenient to have lunch there and Restaurants specializing in steak are non existent in this area so we were willing to give them a go but we wont be back.

2  Thank Deb H
CharMooloolaba, Manager at Char Mooloolaba, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2017

When we opened our restaurant 3 years ago, our one goal was to make a restaurant that my wife and I would like to eat at. That is, a restaurant that offered simple food using the best quality ingredients with informal friendly service in comfortable and pleasing surroundings. No pretence, just a nice place to eat.
Now our thought was, if other like what we like they will come and enjoy it with us. If others don’t like what we like they won’t come back. Either way we are fine with it. You can’t please everybody.
Over the last 3 years, with that simple philosophy we have gone from strength to strength. We have invested and reinvested in our business and grown it to the point that some 8 months ago we looked at relocating, which we are happy to say came to fruition some 6 weeks ago.

So, you didn’t like our offering, and believe that it is less than professional. I will admit that we are a bit cheeky and we for the most part enjoy interacting with our customers. Please believe me when I say, we will not be changing a thing. We like our informal style. We have a very loyal following likes the way we do things.

Regarding our pricing, we buy the best, this generally costs more. Our menu is built to a standard not to a price. Also we offer a bit more than the usual fare on the tourist strip. Table cloths, carpet on the floor, fine bone china, quality silverware, crystal glassware a fully indoor environment, I could go on. If you don’t see value in that, there is not much I can do. We charge what we need to charge to pay the bills, the staff and hopefully have a little left over for us. So there is no apology there.

One thing I am extremely sorry about is that your steak was not cooked to your specification (whatever than means) Steaks being a natural product and not factory made, sometimes do not behave as expected. We find that the most reliable method and the method recommended by people who know, is by measuring the internal temperature. The touch test is best used as a rough guide only. So yes, no excuses we cocked up, but even the best chefs get it wrong sometimes. Obviously, it was not bad enough for you to mentioned it at the meal check as you have in some of your other reviews. We would have happily either cooked it on a bit more or recooked you a new one if it was overdone. It is never intentional, but we employ humans and humans make mistakes. Like spelling errors.

But what I will do, is take you to task on is your 2 comments.
1. That we served “yesterday’s coleslaw”. Your comment was totally wrong and poor form, we do not add the dressing to our freshly cut ingredients until just before we plate the meal. If you didn’t like the slaw simply say so. If you don’t like slaw in general, say so before hand and we would happily have substituted it for something else. Most people love it, some don’t. We make our dressing from scratch it is not store bought. The slaw is tangy and slightly acidic. It is designed to cut through the fat in the steak and keep your palate clean. Like the way that tannic wines do.
2. That you steak not “wague” You are correct it was not wague, but it was wagyu. I find it reprehensible that you would directly accuse us of fraud. Product substitution is a very serious offence, some have gone to gaol for it. You say quite correctly that “you never know how much your customer knows or who is going to review you” Obviously in this case you don’t know very much. Feel free to come and view the invoice, and check out our fridges, you will not find any cheap cuts. Some of our cuts cost us well over $100 per kg. Drop in any time I will happily take you for a tour. I have done it in the past.
You have defamed us and in the normal world we could have recourse to take legal proceedings against you. But unfortunately, like most social media you have hid behind your keyboard.

May I say, I have looked at your other reviews and I see that you have given pastings to what I believe are some of the best restaurants on the coast. Even some of your kinder reviews pointed out some flaw somewhere.
I am truly sorry that our sort of hospitality offends you, we are very friendly bunch and our staff, many of whom have been with us from the beginning have become family and many of our customers have become friends. Our business will continue to grow despite your review.
I know that you won’t, but feel free to come and pay us another visit, we promise to be equally friendly and probably even less professional, but maybe, if you let yourself, you may have some fun.
Yours in food and fun