Sandpiper Ocean Cottages
Wintersun Gardens Motel(Bicheno)(Great Value!)
US$60
Bicheno East Coast Holiday Park(Bicheno)(Great Value!)
US$84
US$78
Beachfront Bicheno(Bicheno)(Great Value!)
US$131
US$95
Bicheno by the Bay(Bicheno)(Great Value!)
US$95
US$43
US$142
Hotwire.com
  • Pool
Bicheno Cabin Park(Bicheno)(Great Value!)
  • Beachfront
TripAdvisor
All reviewsbeach housebreakfast basketthe kitchenrestful staybeach toyssand dunesthe east coastwood heatersound of the wavesset in beautiful groundsclean sandboogie boardserrol flynnwasher dryervisit tasmaniagrassed areashort stroll
Reviewed April 10, 2018

My husband and I stayed in the Hanalei Cottage and we couldn't have asked for anything better. Set in beautiful grounds just metres from the beach, this cottage is very tastefully appointed and fitted out with everything one needs. The breakfast hamper delivered to us on arrival was a very nice welcoming surprise and most appreciated. We stayed for two nights but would have loved to stay a couple of nights more. This place is definitely on our hit list should we visit Tasmania again. Thank you to John and Annette for making our stay so relaxing and comfortable.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Sandpiper_Cottages, Owner at Sandpiper Ocean Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2018

Hi Marian, Thanks so much for your positive review - we are really glad you enjoyed your stay. Regards, John & Annette

Reviewed April 9, 2018

There's little to add to the already positive experiences already recorded here. We were fortunate to enjoy two days of perfect weather in this beautiful region and our two bedroom cottage provided a perfect base. It had everything we needed - and the bed was the most comfortable we experienced on our Tasmania travels. Annette and John's advice proved to be very good.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Hi! Thanks very much for your review. We're really glad you enjoyed your stay.
Hope to see you back some time!
Cheers,
John

Reviewed March 25, 2018

I booked this place online through a booking company, which advertised several different choices of cottages plus the main beach house. I noticed that the beach house looked beautiful, much nicer than the cottages (although they looked fine as well), and decided that for the additional few dollars, I would book the house.

I was really looking forward to staying in the house, and when we arrived, the lady said, "No, I have you booked in the Hanalei Cottage." We were exhausted from our long flight and drive from Hobart that evening, and it didn't matter what I said, she insisted that the booking site would automatically book this particular cottage. I had sent a room request to her as well, which wasn't answered for a long time, until I finally emailed her personally, to which my request wasn't mentioned either in the replies, and I was so tired and out of it that I forgot to show her the documentation that I had with me, so ultimately, we paid more for the house which we didn't get.

We also used the washing machine, which was unfamiliar, and it ended up ruining two loads of my clothes - not sure what sort of machines they have, but the heat must have been too high and all of my clothes lost their bright colour and it ruined several brand new shirts and pants which was very upsetting. The washer also leaked all over the floor and there was no way to mop up the mess other than to use the two towels we had for the showering ourselves - no extra towels were supplied. The bathroom was one large space with no separate shower, which also made for a continual wet floor, which was very slippery and not very pleasant.

She had also promised me the use of her day pass for Freycinet Park, which we would have liked, but she had already given it to someone else right before we arrived, but it didn't really matter, as we planned to purchase a holiday pass as we were visiting several of Tasmania's parks. So that wasn't really a big deal, just be sure that if you would like the use of the pass to arrive early enough so it wasn't given to someone else if it was promised to you.

All in all, this is a nice place - I was really disappointed not to have the house when that was what I had thought I was reserving. I had read other reviews where the owner had immediately upgraded some people to the house - and I guess this wasn't an option for us when we arrived, since she didn't mention it at all. And the ruined clothes were another huge downer. But the kitchen was well outfitted, and she did include breakfast, although five eggs didn't suffice for two people for two days and weren't replenished. The bed was also very soft, too soft for me.

The owner did feel badly that she had promised the park pass and had given it away, and she seemed like a very nice, friendly lady, but in the future I will always request several times in emails that I am actually getting the room that I booked, and I'd suggest you do the same if you book this through another booking site and not directly through the owner.

Room Tip: Be sure you inquire as to the cottage/house you want when you book the room to avoid disappointment.
Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Sandpiper_Cottages, Owner at Sandpiper Ocean Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2018

Dear Travelling Pianist,
We appreciate you taking the time to review our accommodation, and hope the rest of your travel in Tasmania was lovely.
It is very important to us that our guests are happy, and as you were not happy with some aspects of your stay, we feel it is important to address your comments. I have addressed each of your comments below.

The booking: We appreciate that you may have liked and intended to book the Beach House, but in actual fact, you did not do so. When you booked through the online booking company, you must have mistakenly submitted the wrong booking information-- these things happen. When you arrived at check-in, and told me that you had a booking for the Beach House, I looked up your booking for you and explained that you had actually booked a two bedroom cottage, and not the three bedroom, two bath Beach House. I also showed you where this was confirmed on your own booking documentation, which you did in fact show me (it said "Two Bedroom Cottage" at the top).

You were understandably disappointed, and I expressed sympathy and concern at your disappointment-- we are not happy when our guests are not happy. I have no doubt that you were tired and understandably travel weary, as it was after 9 pm, and you had been travelling all day. I spoke to you for some time, again explaining how the booking service you chose entered your booking directly into our reservations system, without any intervention or handling from us. I again showed you the booking and that it clearly stated "Two Bedroom Cottage" right at the top. I also emphasise that the rate for the two bedroom cottage was correctly charged, and you did not pay the rate for the Beach House, which is more expensive. I also explained that I would have happily moved you to the Beach House had it been free, but we were completely booked out. I then gave you your welcome breakfast basket and helped you unload your baggage at your cottage.

Your cottage: As for your comments about your Cottage, you stayed in our newest cottage, Hanalei, which is a standalone, fully self contained cottage with a full kitchen, dining/ lounge room and bathroom, that also features a BBQ, deck, etc. Hanalei is one year old, and has received consistently good reviews and feedback. No other guest has had any issue with the washer/dryer. Is it possible that a setting was used on the washer which did not suit your clothing? We would have been happy to assist, if there was any confusion around the controls, and I note your comment that the controls were unfamiliar to you. It can be understandably fiddly dealing with unfamiliar washer/dryers The bathroom is indeed equipped with a walk in shower, with no edges for the shower area, because it is designed to be friendly for handicapped and elderly people, including people in wheelchairs. Most of our guests find this easy to use and like the spaciousness. The room is designed as a ‘wet’ room (with specially fitted non-slip flooring and drainage for this purpose, and there is a mop in the bathroom closet). We always offer extra towels, and we did offer these to you as well, on check-in. On the second day of your stay, we provided you with two extra towels, one of which was left on your bed, unused. We appreciate that there is room for various opinions about the open style of the bathroom, and are sorry it was not to your liking. We do have other cottages with more traditional bathrooms. I also see that the bed was too soft for your liking-- it is very difficult to please all people regarding beds. We have used the same beds in all of our cottages as the overwhelming majority of feedback is that they are extremely comfortable. But no bed will suit every guest-- we wish there were such a bed, we would buy it!

Breakfast Welcome Basket: I appreciate your comments about the complimentary breakfast basket. Your rate actually did not include a breakfast basket (it says this in large type on your confirmation form), but it is our custom to provide this "welcome basket" as an extra anyway. We love to provide free range eggs from our hens, and the basket also includes a loaf of sourdough bread from Blue Edge Bakery, butter and margarine, a litre of milk, a jar of Granola, a jar of muesli, jams and vegemite. In your case, I also included gluten free muesli. In our experience, 5 eggs for two people for two days is generous, and I would have been happy to raid the henhouse for extra for you, had I known it was too few.

Emails and parks pass: I note that I promptly sent you three long emails in response to queries you had about the area, shopping, and more. I was very happy to do so, as we see that as part of the support we can offer to our guests, especially when they are travelling overseas. I have reviewed all of our emails and confirm that I did indeed offer the parks pass in one of my emails, but you asked whether you should get your own, as you were visiting several parks on your journey. I advised you in my reply email that it was best (and better value) if you got one in that case. In light of this, I did loan it to another guest. I am very sorry indeed that you intended to borrow the pass, and I would have made a note to set it aside for you had I not understood your intention to get one of your own.

We hope we get a chance in the future to provide you with a happier experience-- Sandpiper is all about the guests.

Kind regards,
Annette

Reviewed February 27, 2018 via mobile

Annette & John have set up a relaxing, easy atmosphere. Like good friends. Always helpful and friendly.
We even had a welcome pack of goodies when we arrived!
The cottage was immaculate, comfortable large bed, spacious, with a covered porch to eat or sit outside.
Loved it!
We'll be staying here again in a few weeks and looking forward to it.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2018

We were fortunate enough to stay at Sandpiper for 6 glorious nights in early Jan. We had the beach house which was magnificent! I held my 50th Birthday party there and it was a perfect day. Tony and Annette went out of their way to help us out with extra bbqs, tables, chairs and umbrellas. Tony even managed to source a lovely local waitress for us to help out on the day!

I've been in the travel industry for over 20 years, and I can't recommend this property highly enough! Some of my family hired out 2 other cottages on the property also, and these were also top notch. If you're after a family getaway, or a beach Birthday party, this is a great spot. We had around 60 people attend and there was plenty of room and lots of fun! Thank Tony and Annette for all your help and for making this one of the most special days of my life! We'll be back!

Room Tip: If hiring live entertainment, choose the Beach house. It's 300 metres away from the other cottages
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family