The Castle Villa by the Sea
Seahorse Motel(Cowes)(Great Value!)
US$86
Comfort Resort Kaloha(Cowes)(Great Value!)
US$111
US$86
Tropicana Motor Inn(Cowes)(Great Value!)
US$76
US$72
Arthur Phillip Motor Inn(Cowes)(Great Value!)
US$96
US$86
The Waves Apartments(Cowes)(Great Value!)
US$132
  • Beachfront
US$47
US$43
  • Beachfront
Island Break Cottages(Cowes)(Great Value!)
US$120
US$92
getaroom.com
  • Pool
Agoda.com
All reviewstissue boxromantic roomgarden suitecomfortable bedoutdoor spaphilip islandharleyjennyprivacyhostsbedroomrelaxationluxurycouch
Reviewed May 31, 2011

This is our 3rd time to stay at The Castle's La Mer, which is an off-site fully contained apartment. The place itself is along Genesta St., almost at the corner of Esplanade, therefore very handy if you'd like a short stroll to the beach, restaurants and the playground. We certainly love this place as our 4 year-old son considers it 'his' holiday home!:-) And why? The rooms are immaculate with quirky artwork, and there's heaps of space to tuck away his favourite toys. We can view the beach from the children's room and from the veranda which is a charming feature of this apartment. The sheets are always clean and fresh, so is the bathroom and the little kitchen where he 'helps' his dad whip up our brekky. The bath is not so deep and we find it safe for our two little angels to indulge in. But most importantly for me, La Mer is centrally located, spotless, great value for money, unpretentious with a simple elegance. I recommend this place to other families and couples. Excellent work, Harley and Jenni!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Lillymum
willywagtail, Owner at The Castle Villa by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2013

Thank you for your review - we are happy that you and your family had a nice time
Jenni & harley

Reviewed May 1, 2011

My partner and I stayed here some time ago. I wasn't going to write a review for this property but after reading some of the recent comments made by the owner when they have recieved negative comments, I think I'd better put my 2 cents in.

Firstly, just because you have booked online 'last minute' does not mean you are not entitled to what you paid for at the time of booking. Just because someone booked after you and offered more $$ does not mean that you get stuck with 'what they have left'. This happened to us too. We were advised we would have 'The Terrace' but on arrrival were told the room was 'no longer available'. Very disappointing to say the least.

We were not happy at all and when we conveyed this to the lady she could not have cared less. The room we got was ok, but not what we were expecting.

I also draw attention to the lack of privacy in this place and I'm afraid I have to agree that it's not an ideal place for a 'romantic weekend' if you get my point!! No, I don't need towels right now, please leave them outside!!! After this interruption, it kind of ruined any romance as we were scared she was gonna come back.

I think this property owner needs to realise that we the customer would:

a: Like to recieve what we paid for.

b. Would appreciate PRIVACY

c. Needs to take constructive criticism better and LEARN from it without getting so
defensive. (Just makes you look guilty)

Look, I'm not saying this place is awful. Just saying that if you appreciate privacy and an honest host (with regard to your room allocation), you may be better off looking elsewhere. I'm sorry but we won't be back.

Happy Travels.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
26  Thank Endless-Summer-Melb

We are sorry you were disappointed you were unable to occupy your room of choice and contary to your belief "more $ $" does not come into the equation.
We are not a large corporate hotel having only 4 apartments and 2 bedroom suites.
We are obliged to those who book direct with us to give them 1st choice of the suite or apartment they require, those that book thru agents are placed as required - as was the case here
Harley & Jenni

Reviewed April 4, 2011

I stay at the Castle on Phillip Island for a short getaway. It is perfect, I love the guest sitting room, comfy sofas and pillows. For me the main attraction on the island are the beaches, after a day at the beach it is lovely to come back to the Castle, it has a lovely warm, welcoming atmosphere and the hosts are delightful. The property is large enough to allow as much privacy as you need but small enough to be friendly and personal. I would certainly recommend it for those wanting a short revitalising holiday not too far from Melbourne. p.s. if you are after four boxy walls of an international chain this place would not suit you - it is unique and a little quirky.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank nenikknim

Harley & Jenni

Reviewed April 3, 2011

Have just returned from a very relaxing stay at The Castle and couldn't be happier. Booked as a surprise for our anniversary, planned to only stay 2 nights but enjoyed ourselves so much we stayed 4! Host Jenni, went out her way with my special requests and was extremely helpful. We loved the room and the gorgeous gardens and of course the delish breakfast in bed :) We feel sad to read the disappointing reviews and actually wondered if they stayed in same place! Will definitely be back.

Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LittleMissPink43

Thank You for your review - we look forward to you return
Jenni & Harley

Reviewed April 1, 2011

not good......5 stars?????? no way!!!!!!!!! unlit paths to get to our room..dangerous and just not acceptable.....had confirmation we had The Terrace...and arrival told we had The Gallery...very sub standard...dingy...dark...damp...definately got taken for a ride.......don't pay till u have seen the room...3 stars tops........very ordinary breakfast.....do NOT pay up front ..make sure you are getting what you have paid for....I tell it how it is...and this place stinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am happy to pay top rates for top rooms.........but a shower setup that I find hard to believe would have council approval...an open cess pit at best.........very very yukkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
go elsewhere

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
12  Thank sydneydavid56
willywagtail, Owner at The Castle Villa by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2011

To TripAdvisor
Regardless to your stated guide lines you have assisted in defaming and tarnishing our hard worked business - we do not agree with your response as the review, according to our lawyers is defamatory and offered without substance of proof and we find it totally immoral.
We are forwarding all relevant details on this matter to KwikChex

My response to the review:

I am rather loathe to reply to this review as it seems to reduce me to the level of this person
It should be said that this is the second review posted by this person, incredibly the first was allowed to be posted by Trip Advisor – it contained the most slanderous and vitriolic statements directed to my wife and contained text that was defamatory to us and our business, after vigorous complaint the first review was subsequently removed by Trip Advisor
The descriptive text used by this person certainly, in our mind, indicates a person of imbalance as it in no way describes the ambiance of this suite and is in no way as he describes.
His descriptions are most clearly defamatory to us and our business however Trip Advisor abides by its authenticity and has refused our request to have it removed
We can only assume the cause of his vitriolic ramblings was caused by the fact that he was unable to occupy the suite first chosen – it was the weekend of The World Super Bike Championships and thru circumstances totally beyond our control we were unable to accommodate this person in the suite first chosen
He was transferred to The Garden Suite which frankly is our most requested suite and for those curious can be viewed on our web site
We are not a hotel of 100 rooms – we have only 5 suites and at times it is a juggle, as was the case that weekend
At no stage thru the weekend were we informed of his displeasure
I have requested of Trip Advisor to have this review taken off in its entirety but they have refused my request stating it falls within there guide lines; however the damage has been done and this person may now gloat in his achievement, that through the vehicle of Trip advisor he has been able to tarnish the reputation of our business