“We got a suite for the price of a room” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Wyndham Resort Torquay
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Torquay
Marlton, New Jersey
“We got a suite for the price of a room”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

I stayed here when it was the Crowne Point Plaza for our honeymoon. We had a room with a kitchen, living room, bedroom, bathroom and laundry for less than the price we paid at a motel in Port Campbell. I see some negative reviews, but we did not have any problems and were very pleased with our accommodations. The only thing that I didn't like was that you had to cross over the driveway outside to get to the elevator to the rooms. Everything was clean, the beds were comfortable and the beach was directly across the street. We were very happy here. It is at the end of the Esplande, so it is not within walking distance of town.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank angeleyes27

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

I recently stayed at the newly named Wyndham Resort in Torquay, I had stayed here 3 times before when it was Crowne Plaza and had great stays so I returned with the same expectations...
Check in was really quick and easy and we were soon in our room. Walking to our room it was so hot and stuffy in the hallways. We had booked a 1 bedroom apartment with a queen size bed & sofa bed, it was nice to have the sofa bed already made up without needing to pull it our ourselves.
The sofa bed was the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept in, there was a bar in my back and another at my knees, I don't even think this sofa bed would be suitable for children to sleep in.
I had booked a spa treatment which I can say I was very relaxed, however the therapist had bad breath & some really strange facial techniques that I had not experienced before in the many facials I have had.
Checkout was again quick & efficient, however I was not asked if we enjoyed our stay.
I will probably not return to this resort again. I feel it was overpriced and not worth our money which is a shame as it's in a great location and has such great potential.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

This is quite a large holiday resort with a huge central pool and apartments laid out around it. I was in a studio room and it was quite large and had a nice sense of space with a separate kitchen, lounge room and large bathroom. The kitchen has miele appliances and a drawer dishwasher but only a bar fridge, which has no mini bar items. Saying that, there is a small shop by reception which would probably offer better value than a mini bar.

My lounge area only had two armchairs rather than a lounge and they aren't particularly comfortable. It has a LCD TV though and a large coffee table. There are sliding doors to the central area off both the lounge and bedroom areas and the curtains are very effective at keeping the light out (but not the noise).

The bathroom is quite impressive with a very large double shower with excellent water pressure and a separate large spa bath. The laundry with a washer and dryer is hidden in cupboards in here. Shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, moisturiser, ear buds, shower cap and soap are all provided.

There are floating floors throughout the room and they feel a bit cheap and like they haven't been laid properly. The bed was reasonably comfortable but has wheels and slides around a lot on these floors. I found that every time I rolled over, the bed would move a couple of inches. By the time I got up the bed had moved about a foot! Also the sheets used on the bed seem cheap. They had 50/50 written on it but they certainly didn't feel like 100% cotton and made me hot and a bit uncomfortable during the night. Maybe a polyester blend? Thankfully the room did have aircontidioning which was effective.

My biggest gripe with the room was that there was no drawer space at all. There was a huge double wardrobe but it was all hanging space with about four hangers. I personally like to unpack in any hotel and this meant I had all my tshirts, jeans and smalls just on the floor of the wardrobe. As the whole room seemed to be reasonably new, it seemed a huge oversight not to include a chest of drawers or even side drawers by the bed so clothes could be packed away.

The other problem was the noise from the pool area. Noise travels over water and while I understand people want to have a laugh, playing music until other guests complain seems like a very strange strategy. On the Friday night there was a guy playing guitar. He was quite good and this is fine but after I came back from dinner in town there seemed to be general music on. I was in the room literally furthest away from reception and the bar area and it was crystal clear. I watched a movie and it was still going past midnight. At 12.30am I rang reception as Hotel California was belting out and asked exactly when the music might be stopping. They turned it off immediately but given this is a hotel and every single room facing the pool would have been hearing the music loud and clear, is this a really good policy? I think they need to figure out if they are a hotel or a night club. If they want to keep the music going, bring it inside and shut the doors so it doesn't affect your sleeping (or trying to sleep) guests. The same thing happened the following night which I really find very strange as there were a lot of families in the resort over the weekend. Maybe they are trying to attract a younger crowd who want to sing bad songs long into the night?

The staff were very helpful and friendly throughout. I was here for a conference and the facilities for that were very good. We also ate here most meals and, apart from the first night when we were all late due to delayed flights and the food had been sitting in bain maries for hours, it was all pretty good for a hotel of this sort.

Room Tip: If you want to get some sleep, I'd suggest getting rooms that don't face the pool although s...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank bacchaebabe
Glenelg, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

This is our 2nd visit here (first while was Crowne Plaza). We chose a one bedroom pool view apartment and this was spacious, clean, great bed and 2 tv's. We wre on the ground floor and had no problems with any noise from the pool area (although we did arrive on a Sunday and left Wednesday so missed the peak weekend guest numbers). Had dinner in their restaurant twice and all up food and service was very good - although we were set to have the seafood platter until we were advised what was on offer - very limited that night compared to other places in town so ask first before you order. We initially booked direct 6 weeks out but saw much better deals through Wotif in the final week before we travelled.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank RenrowMandK
Daylesford, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

Hubby and I took advantage of a day off to try out the newly acquired Wyndham Resort Torquay. We found it well-equipped with a lap pool, gym, spa, outdoor pool, bar and cafe and fine dining restaurant. The room was clean and comfy and best of all it was a mere stone's throw away from the beach. We missed having dinner at the fine dining restaurant as we've been out for a long drive to see the 12 Apostles so we had dinner at the bar cafe while enjoying the tennis on one of the many flat screen TVs. I must say the fish and chips I had was the best ever the prawn pizza hubby had was superb. More pleasant surprises came with the bill. 4 drinks and the meals only cost us $58 how good is that? Service was excellent too. Will definitely come back.

4 Thank Marita S
Lemon Tree Passage, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

The resort is right on the beach but walk to the room was a long distance from the reception and car park. It had no direct access and you had to go up 2 different lifts to get to the room. The room faced onto a wall.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an ocean view or one close to reception to save you walking a long distance to g...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights with the possibility of staying 3. We tried to get the same midweek rate for the Friday night which would've been $40 less but they wouldn't budge. Due to the weather being quite ordinary while down there we decided to see what the weather had installed for us. It was still quite cool after that 2nd night so we opted to put that money towards a trip into Crown Casino, Melbourne. With that said we were upgraded to a pool view room which over looked the grounds which is lovely. The room itself, like others have said is on the smaller side but quite comfortable. The hallways and room were quite stuffy/warm so it was necessary to open the window. Air conditioning was available but personally I don't like the air blowing right down on me while I'm trying to sleep. Cocktails were nice and overall the staff were quite pleasant and accommodating. Parking is limited so we opted to pay $7 per day to park in the basement. The weather was blowing a gale and the rain was torrential at times so it was worth paying the extra $$ to have direct lift access to our floor. We had run to our car previously outside and got quite wet. One more thing...our room wasn't serviced and I would normally expect this from a 4.5 star resort.

6 Thank mounsta
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torquay
1.2 km away
0.9 km away
Whitesbeach Guesthouse
Whitesbeach Guesthouse
#1 of 7 in Torquay

Been to Wyndham Resort Torquay? Share your experiences!