“Don't be fooled by the menu this is quality”

Catch22 Tapas & Cocktail Lounge
Ranked #17 of 229 Restaurants in Mandurah
Price range: US$0 - US$18
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Tapas and Cocktails our specialties.
Reviewed October 31, 2016 via mobile

My wife and I were having a lazy morning wandering around Mandurah and stumbled on Catch 22.
The service is attentive but not overpowering but the food is a thing of beauty, servings are large for tapas so steady on the quantity when you order but the quality is outstanding.
After our meals came I had order envy at all the meals being delivered to nearby tables.
If I was going to be highly critical I would say I don't think the comic book style menu creates the right impression of the excellent quality food.

Marie T, Owner at Catch22 Tapas & Cocktail Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2016

Thanks Dafecker pleased you enjoyed. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed October 30, 2016 via mobile

Visited Friday evening around 7.30pm. Bar man told me to stand by wait to be seated sign where I waited for several minutes while several staff members walked past me. Eventually I was asked if needed help, standing by the wait here to be seated sign! Waiter was pleasant enough we ordered drinks. I had to remind them about my water which didn't come. Food was slow to come and was pretty ordinary pizza. Sheppard's pie was quite tasty though. Sofa seats were uncomfortable, too low and grubby. In all a pretty ordinary experience. I think the overall average star rating of 3.5 is a fair call. I'd have given 3.5 if it was an option.

Hi Mark
Our waitstaff all have different jobs to do and as such they would not have been ignoring you. Due to bookings, reserved tables etc they would have passed on the fact you were waiting for a table to the floor supervisor who would have been determining where we were able to seat you. The area with the couches is a self service area and as such you would have been advised that this was the case and where the water was, which was in a fridge directly adjacent to where you were sitting. Yes our furnitiure is well worn, but since I have just had all the furniture cleaned I can assure you it was not grubby. Sorry you waited for your food, but often when busy, food can take a little longer than the 10 minutes expected by customers. Hopefully you will return and give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Reviewed October 26, 2016 via mobile

I had my baby shower/ high tea here a few weeks ago. It was a lovely set up in a perfect location! However the staff need to be taught how to do their job.
I was greeted by a waiter and his first question was "how many are coming?" followed by him then telling me I would need to pay for the numbers even if people didn't show up. This is ok, and I appreciate that they cater to numbers but how about a hello, how are you?, can I get you a drink whilst you wait? This is basic service and manners that you expect from the hospitality industry. No to be grabbing the $$ before you have even welcomed your guests!
We waited around for ages before we were even offered a drink. If anyone wanted any more drinks we had to ask and go to the bar which was still no rush, at all often taking 10/15 mins before they took your order (the rest of the place wasn't that busy) . The staff really didn't seem that bothered about a big party that was in and would have spent a lot of money on drinks etc (instead we ended going up somewhere with better, friendlier service). They just wanted us in and out. The food had a lot of potential and the desserts were good but the savoury stuff was simple and pretty tasteless. So much room for improvement!
It's such a shame the decor and location is lovely but the staff and the food really let it down. I won't be heading there again anytime soon.
This was meant to be a special day and could have been made better by that special touch instead the staff were pretty rude and didn't seem to want to be there.

1  Thank vieve8

Hi Vieve
I have spoken to our staff member who greeted you at the door and as he is our Front of House Manager. I cannot imagine for one moment that he did not say hello, perhaps you just didn't hear him he is quietly spoken. From what I understand your party arrived in a few groups. It was booked for 20 from memory and initially 12 of you came, hence his question of "how many were coming?". We always ask this question as you are correct our Hi Teas are specially made for the number booked in and he was concerned as it was some time before the rest of the ladies came. We also always remind customers at the time of booking, about confirming numbers and again at arrival that if some do not come, then unfortunately we have to charge. We do this as we have had some very upset customers who have not confirmed numbers and find they have to pay for folk that have not turned up. We would have left you initially to get settled and for the rest of your party to arrive, before coming to get tea, coffee or drinks orders. The bar was right beside where you were sitting and I am sure he would have explained that drinks could be ordered from there at any time. That area in our restaurant is self service and you were all paying for your own drinks, so it makes perfect sense for you to go to the bar and order/pay. You would not have waited 10-15 minutes to be served at the bar, as on Saturday day there is a dedicated bar person who would have been in the near vicinity. Please do not assume that we were not busy, as there is always a lot more going on than the customer realises. Our staff put a lot of time and effort into looking after our customers and as you can see by the other reviews on this site "getting you in and out" or " not wanting to look after a large group" is not the case. We do a lot of Hi Teas with no complaints about the food of which there is a substantial amount and while it may not have been to your taste, we have to cater to all palates and as such our food is designed to do just that.

Reviewed October 22, 2016

Very good service with friendly and engaging staff to look after you. The tapas range is extensive and it may take you some time to finally decide on what you want! We ordered three dishes for two of us and discovered that they are very generous with the serves and perhaps we should just have had two! All very good and the pork belly sliders with the sauce and coleslaw were my fav!

Marie T, Owner at Catch22 Tapas & Cocktail Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2016

Hi Pointopoint
Pleased you enjoyed those sliders are delicious. We are just about to change our tapas menu with lots more yummy choices.Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 18, 2016 via mobile

This is my favourite place to go. Such amazing food. Quirky retro surrondings. Friendly staff, great coffee and menu caters to all. Cocktails are yummy too
I had the seafood cottage pie omg sooo yum!!

Marie T, Owner at Catch22 Tapas & Cocktail Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2016

Hi Chritty63
Pleased you enjoyed your experience with us hope to see you again soon