“Won't go back”
Review of Marina Hotel

Marina Hotel
Ranked #56 of 102 Hotels in Ayia Napa
Reviewed 16 September 2012

This hotel is a hard one to review...all amenities were present, but still there was a lot missing. The rooms had airconditioning from around 3 pm to 9 am, no point in turning the thermostat, one temperature only. In other words sufficient, but still not working properly. Sliding glass doors out to a small balcony. Doors wouldn't lock. I can't imagine anyone climbing the outside 5 storeys up to rob us blind, but still; locks not working. Flat screen tv with a few Greek/ Cypriot channels, one German, a couple of Russian and one Swedish channel. Smallest flatscreen I've ever seen. We didn't come to Cyprus to watch tv, but I like to watch a bit of tv before bedtime. So tv was present, but not impressing...or even worth watching at all. Adequate sized rooms, but furniture outdated 35 years ago. Bathroom had a wc, tub with shower, a sink and mirror. All there, but outdated and not very nice. Rooms were clean, no bugs or any other surprises. Beds were ugly and outdated but comfort was ok. Nice view over the Med and Ayia Napa, an absolute plus. A bit of a walk from the hotel to the centre of Ayia Napa, but as we dine at Blueberries Restaurant every night when we are in Cyprus, maybe the long walk was a necessity to keep us half fit. I noticed a reviewer mentioning the walk as unsafe. I've been to Ayia Napa quite a few times, and never felt threatened. Act safe, be safe. Although the hotel is situated on a height and the beach looks distant, it's just a few minutes walk away. This is the largest beach in the Napa area, but there are lots of beautiful beaches from Simos Beach Hotel and westward. (Still a 45 minute walk from the Marina Hotel. So the Marina Hotel is situated a bit too far east for my taste. Talking about east, we were the only Western European residents at the hotel. The other guests were Russian. Breakfast was ok, but needed that little extra touch called taste. Shouldn't take much effort to make the breakfast a nice experience, but the lack of spices and probably lack of interest in cooking made it rather poor. The hotel gardens could have been beautiful, and probably has been....35 years ago. The pool was just a square with water in it, nothing fancy. Tried to cool off after the long walk back from Blueberries one night, but was tossed out by a rather pissy nightwatch. Sick and tired of tourists? Get a new job! Which brings me to the staff....as everything else in this hotel, they were there but still not working properly. They did their job, that's all. No smile, no joy. Along with the Russian speaking guests and the by far outdated furnishing, the staffs "no smile" policy made me feel like I was in a hotel behind the iron curtain in the 70's. I've rated this hotel one star, but this is just my opinion. When on holiday I use a lot of money, so the least I expect is a staff able to pull out a smile now and then. I don't expect top of the line when choosing a three star hotel. I've been to MUCH worse hotels than this one, but strangely enough a good staff can make it a good stay no matter how bad the hotel is.

Room Tip: If you have to choose this hotel, ask for a room with city views, very nice at night.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PeterOfLondon

Reviewed 4 August 2012

I'm not sure it's the cheapest hotel in Agia Napa but it was one of the main criteria of our choice. We didn't expect too much but really it was even worse than we had expected.

First of all it's in a great distance away from city center (20-30 minutes walk). It's literally the MOST REMOTE hotel in Agia Napa. If you have great plans for clubbing you should be prepared to pay 10 Euro for taxi (one way) or wait to for the bus. It's not only tiring to walk up-hill but not so safe as well. Our friends were ripped off half-way to the hotel. One good thing, the bus stop and convenience store are pretty near and the nearest beach is in 7-minute walk.

We paid for sea-side view but out room was so dated and unpleasant that we asked to change it. Than we had much bigger and better room with road-side at the same price. Everything was so OLD: TV, furniture, conditioner...Should I say that there was no simulator in the gym in working condition?

They have charged WI-FI 40 Euro a week !!!! 5 Euros an hour - it's a rip off !!!!

Staff isn't helpful, it was always problem to put two tables together at breakfast for our company, once our room wasn't cleaned at all ! Our friends had old towels. Receptionist told us it's OK."...housemaids just missed your room." - that's it!

I cannot even imagine anybody to whom I would recommend Marina hotel!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AnastasiaKlk
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We had a lovely view from our room but room was a little outdated but clean. Staff was very helpful. Breakfast was a little poor! Location is prefect, 10/15 min walk to restaurants/nightlife.

Room Tip: Suggest Pool view/sea view rooms
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lynn C
Reviewed 29 September 2010

My friend and I stayed at this hotel in July. The hotel looks old & cheap from the outside so we got scared a bit. Plus when we looked at the sea from the entrance of the hotel it was really far away! But when we entered our room with the view on the other side of the hotel we could see the sea, too, and it was much closer (so the hotel has sea view from both sides). The room was spacey & clean, we liked it. If comparing 4* in Turkey and this 3* in Cyprus, I'd prefer this one. Condition was old but worked properly enough to get us freezed which was really nice at the midday.
It took us 7 mins to get to the beach, and we realized how lucky we are when it appeared that the beach line with the send & sunbeds is short & the rest of the coast can't be used by people. So people from some hotels even had to take a local bus to get to the beach!
The food choice wasn't rich & we mostly had only breakfast. But there are a lot of restaurants nearby where you can get whatever you want.
So if you are seeking for a cheap but clean hotel with room bigger than a cage - this is a good choice.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
6  Thank Helena_Romain
Reviewed 22 July 2010

- Ayia Napa is a "nightlife place" and thin walls allow you to listen everything happening in other rooms
+ Located just outside the town

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael656
Reviewed 26 May 2009

We stayed at the Marina Hotel a few months ago and we really enjoyed our stay there! It is a very cozy hotel with really friendly staff who make your stay very pleasant in a nice and relaxed atmosphere! the rooms were clean and the amenities even more than what we expected from a 3 star hotel!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank gulivers
Reviewed 4 September 2006

I stayed at the Marina hotel for one night with my family in August. The hotel is very dated, it needs an overhaul. Our room seemed to have a musky smell so wasn't very pleasent but as we were only staying one night we didn't get too hung up about it. The pool is quite dated as well and needed a good clean. I would say that if you are considering going to Cyprus for a 2 week holiday then I would not recommend you stay at the Marina. I have no idea how much it would cost as a package but if it seems pricey then I wouldn't bother.

Stayed: August 2006