“wonderful place to be if you get a room inside the castle”

Roxburghe Hotel & Golf Course
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Heiton
Sydney, Australia
“wonderful place to be if you get a room inside the castle”
Reviewed 7 October 2011

we booked a room over the internet not knowing there was 2 options: a room inside the castle or a room in the courtyard so we were offered a room in the courtyard which was perfectly good except we could have been staying at any other nice hotel in the area and what we had wanted to do is to sleep inside the castle like hotel.
so we changed room to a four poster bed room which was wonderful.
dinner in the restaurant was equally nice. service is impecable and overseen by a nice professional person who seems to be training young keen staff whilst we were there so it was nice to be part of that process.
the surrounds of the hotel are perfectly maintained

Room Tip: ask to be in a room INSIDE the castle
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Claire C
Duncan E, General Manager at Roxburghe Hotel & Golf Course, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write and post your review. It was unfortunate that owing to the fact you booked on line you originally were placed in one of our courtyard rooms but I am pleased to learn that you were quickly moved into one of our feature four poster rooms that you then enjoyed.

Here at The Roxburghe we do pride ourselves in providing a high standard of staff training which in turn we expect leads to giving our guests a top quality standard of service which, we feel, is so important.

Once again thank you for your kind comments and hopefully I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Duncan Evans

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
France
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We spent three nights here last week. The hotel is impressive with comfortable public rooms and a very comfortable four poster bed.

We played golf twice and the course is lovely, though we would recommend a buggy for all but the keenest trekkers - the last three holes are uphill and there are a number of longish walks between holes. The guest rate was considerably lower than the public rate too!

Our only slight disappointment was the food: which although good quality was a little 'fussy' and nouvelle cuisine in style: I had venison one night and the meat consisted solely of four very small pieces. Another night we had fish which was very dry with almost no sauce. Breakfast was fine and was very traditional, suffering none of the problems of dinner. The menu choice was a little limited, changing only one item per course per day.

Service was exemplary and all the staff (plenty of them) were very attentive and professional.

Recommended, but be aware of the menu issues.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank IanSimpson
jeremy d, Manager at Roxburghe Hotel & Golf Course, responded to this review, 20 September 2011
Dear Guest,
I appreciate you letting us know your thoughts regarding your recent stay with us.
your feedback regarding the food is noted and I will be passing it on to the kitchen team.
I am also pleased that you enjoyed the service and The Hotel as an experience and your comments regarding the golf course are fair. While the course is of Championship standard, it does have some longish walks from some of the greens to tee's and a buggy may be desirable to some.
We have a healthy supply at The Roxburghe, so we should always be able to help in that area!
Thank you once again and my best wishes to you,
Edinburgh
Reviewed 16 September 2011

I was fortunate enough to be invited to a Corporate Golf Day at the Roxburghe recently including dinner and an overnight stay. The golf course was in superb condition. Dinner was simply outstanding and the steak was amongst the tenderest and tastiest I've ever eaten. The quaility of the staff and service was absolutely first class and my large bedroom was beautifully presented and extremely comfortable. I would have no hesitation in recommending the hotel to anyone seeking a thoroughly relaxing experience in an outstanding setting and environment.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Langers-G
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review of The Roxburghe Hotel.

It is a real pleasure to know that everything about your stay was to your satisfaction. We do like to know that the time we take in providing a first class service is enjoyed by our guests.

I do hope you will make a return visit in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards,

Duncan Evans
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2011

I arranged a golf day out here on Friday 8th September on behalf of Lindsay Wallace Managing Director of Xerox Office Solutions, the venue is amazing and the food is out of this world, the staff are also very friendly and profession all in all a great day was had by all who attended. I would highly recommend this venue.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Sharon M
jeremy d, Manager at Roxburghe Hotel & Golf Course, responded to this review, 19 September 2011
Dear Sharon,
Thank you for your kind words, I have passed on your feedback to the team and we look forward to seeing you all again in the not to distant future,
Kind regards,
st andrews
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Had a fantastic short break at The Roxburghe Hotel & Golf Course last week for a golf event. The Hotel is spacious and very comfortable and the food and wine selection first rate. Special mention for the Golf Course, no wonder it has hosted the Scottish Senior Open, its a real gem and a must play for golf officionados and enthusiasts.

Looking forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: Same as always, be polite and enquire if that is the best room you can get...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Dear Harry,
you are very generous with your praise and I am delighted that you enjoyed The Roxburghe's hospitality. We all try to go that extra little bit to ensure our guests feel at home.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon,
My very best wishes,
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2011

The hotel and it's welcome over a weekend was first class - very professional but with charming staff, guests made to feel 'at home'. A very well managed hotel was clear in everything about the place.

The golf course was excellent, everything it purports to be in the literature. Highly recommend the use of a buggy as the walk between some tees adds considerably to your exercise! Staff in the club house friendly and helpful - knowledgeable about all things golf and the surrounding area.

Very much a country pursuits hotel and we gather they can facilitate most of these activities. Great venue for a wedding.

Room 10 was a beautiful 4 poster bedroom - lovely views over the grounds and nicely appointed. Bed very comfortable and room facilities good. Not a UHT sort of place, ring for any milk you require. Similarly no mini bar but any drinks required can be brought to your room from the library bar.

Sofa in the room has a charm of it's own but we think it's time is up! Hence slight downgrade for cleanliness but forgiven against everything else in our opinion!

Delicously prepared food does absolute justice to the locally sourced produce. Very well presented but in satisfying portions. Waitresses and waiters worked efficiently, girls on reception always helpful.

Essential to bring decent walking/waterproof footwear to take advantage of the extensive grounds if you take into account walks through/around the golf course down to the river and viaduct.

The whole place has a comfortable, country feel with log fires and paneled walls. The gentle Scottish tones of the staff add to the considerable ambiance along with the smell of wood fires and whisky! As might be expected here, a huge selection of malt's to try, though you can soon rack up quite a bar bill!

The good weather we enjoyed was a lovely bonus - the natural light illuminating the gradually turning autumn leaves was spectacular in the morning and in the evening to sun set.

Look forward to a fond return in due course.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank DeeGeeEmm
jeremy d, Manager at Roxburghe Hotel & Golf Course, responded to this review, 21 September 2011
Dear DandJ,
I am truly delighted to read your comments regarding your recent stay with us!
I know your party had a wonderful time and I enjoyed having a group from The North East around the place... Always a great sense of humour!
Your advice about the sofa in room 10 is spot on and we are shortly starting to refurbish areas of the property and replace some public area furniture and upgrade the bathrooms.
I know that we will no doubt see some of you return in the future and I will pass on your generous praise to everyone here at The Roxburghe.
My very best wishes to you,

General Manager.
Edinburgh
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This hotel had been special for us for the past 15 years so we booked a lunch party for friends and family for my husband's 80th birthday. We even hired a small coach to bring our guests from Edinburgh.
Unfortunately the service was terrible, the list of things no longer up to standard is too long for this report but it was all extremely embarrassing for us. Having invited all our guests, some of whom had driven great distances themselves, to receive such poor service was hugely embarrassing.
I wrote to the hotel and received such a poor letter of explaination that I then wrote to the Hotel owners as I felt they should know the standards that their staff are setting. I waited four weeks before writing a second letter and now three months later still have not had the courtesy of a reply. It apperas that no one cares about the hotel now or the hotel guests so reluctantly I am writing to advise people who think they might hold a function at the Roxburghe to think again. One of our guests even wrote to complain about the service as they were so upset on our behalf.
Having used the hotel for all our special meals and stayed there several times we reluctantly will never go back.
The lack of courtesy is inexcuseable.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank ChrisEdinburgh_10
Dear Chris, may I firstly say how sad I am to read your comments regarding The Roxburghe Hotel and Golf Course.
I myself began as General Manger on September 1st and was therefore not with the business at the time of your event.
I would also like to say that there have been a number of operational changes since then and I am confident that something like this will not happen again.
I cannot bring your event back and the special time that it meant to you all, but I can try and do something in respect of the future.
If you contact me directly at The Hotel, I would be delighted to discuss my thoughts and hopefully, regain the confidence back of a most valued patron over the years.
Again, please accept our sincerest apologies from all at The Roxburghe and I hope to speak to you soon.
Kind regards,
General Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Heiton
4.8 km away
16.4 km away
The Townhouse Hotel
The Townhouse Hotel
#1 of 7 in Melrose

Been to Roxburghe Hotel & Golf Course? Share your experiences!