All reviews sunday carvery full english no fuss lick of paint clean towels bent over backwards tea coffee sky tv friendly place to stay an ideal location pub hotel main bar ensuite bathroom very reasonable price steak royal bath feel very welcome
Reviewed June 18, 2018

Our Room (C) was large and well spacious. A good first impression. Unfortunately, the bathroom was so disappointing. There was a lot of black grout around the bath. The toilet took a long time to refill but the sink and toilet were much cleaner.

We could not get the tv to work at all - but having not reported it - it could have been something we didn't do.

We were doing a two day show at the Royal Bath & West Showground so were quite frankly shattered, so the constant passing traffic did not really stop us from sleeping, but others may find it difficult. Double glazing would I think sort this out should the owner want to do so.

The food was very good, and they served us well past the deadline as they had a large party in and we arrived so much later than we would have liked. Pleasant, attentive staff. Breakfast started at 6am and as we had to be off so early it was excellent for us.

Would stay again in the hope that the mould around the bath would have been sorted.

Room Tip: dont know if they do rooms at the back of the hotel but would help if they did to keep the noise issue down.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed May 30, 2018

Having arrived, I found that I had booked the wrong dates. The staff (Sam and Tyler) were fantastic at sorting out my error and getting me sorted with a room for the night. The triple room was large, clean, had a small fridge and Sky TV.
The evening meal was typical pub food - good quantity and quality at a very reasonable price. Drinks, too were cheap.
The staff were all very helpful - nothing was too much for them.
Overall, for the money an excellent place.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the main road suffer some noise.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank robert2011_11
Reviewed January 25, 2018 via mobile

My friend booked for three of us to stay here. It was chosen for our one night stay as we were in the area to visit Shepton Mallet Prison and this pub hotel was in an ideal location to travel to and from the prison and it was reasonably priced.
First impressions when pulling into the car park were good. It was presented well on the outside and looked like a charming building.
We checked in at the bar with very welcoming and friendly staff of the bar/restaurant. One staff member in particular was slightly eccentric and added to the quirky charming feel of the place.
He showed us to our bedroom. The room itself was clean and and tidy and the beds were comfy. The room had great views overlooking green fields.
The only let down was the bathroom! MOULDY! Mould on ceilings, shower tiles, around bath.....it really was a shocker. We had such fantastic first impression up until that point. The bathroom smelt of drains and rotten cabbage.
It’s such shame because all then staff who we had contact with were 11 out of 10 and couldn’t be more friendly, helpful and lovely. The food was also very good from the the restaurant here.
I would return here if that bathroom gets a make over.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank 134foodie1234
Reviewed January 21, 2018

Stayed here this weekend in Room C with two of my friends. We received a warm welcome from the owner. He has a great sense of humour, and soon made us feel right at home. The room was massive, with three single beds, a sofa and sky TV. The bathroom is a bit dated and could use some renovation, there was a slight smell of sewer every now and then. The rest of the room was very nice, with pleasant colours and comfy beds. We had dinner downstairs, which was good and affordable. As we went on a tour at the local prison at night, we had a bit of a lie-in. The lady manager/owner had told us the previous day we were more than welcome to have breakfast a bit later. When we came downstairs at 10:15AM they swiftly prepared us a lovely breakfast, no fuss. Every staff member was friendly, asked us about the tour, and made the stay really nice. Thanks for the hospitality!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Almalexia
Reviewed November 2, 2017 via mobile

I stayed one night at Cannards Well as I was due to be working around the corner the following day. I arrived at 8.30 and was shown to my room (unfortunately they were no longer serving food by 8.30 so I had to go elsewhere). The room was a small single: clean and fairly basic with an ensuite bathroom. I went to bed around 10, but even after adjusting the TRV on the radiator found the room icy cold! I had to go to bed in my jumper! In the end, as I really couldn't sleep from being so cold, I called the hotel number. The gentleman (who I think was the owner) told me that I should have been informed that the boiler was broken and had been awaiting a gas engineer for a few days. Not really what I wanted to hear whilst trying to fall asleep!, but he very kindly brought me down an electric heater for the room, with his apologies. He also immediately offered to refund me for the room, and true to his word, he did.
The b&b is quite noisy I must admit, with road noise and also other guests I assume, who were loudly talking, walking about and closing doors at 3, 4 and 5am! Obviously if these were guests, thats no fault of the hotel's, just something to note if you're a light sleeper.
On the whole, it is clean but very basic, certainly the 2 star rating that is has been given. The staff are very friendly, helpful and professional.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business