“Amazing, impressive and super experience!”

Elephant Conservation Center
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Sayaboury
More attraction details
Owner description: The Elephant Conservation Center marks a new era for conservation of the Asian elephant within the Lao PDR and offers a unique experience to visitors wishing to contribute towards the preservation of an endangered species. The first of its kind in Laos, the Center is not another elephant camp but an innovative approach that combines conservation of an endangered species with eco-tourism. Minimum stay is overnight, however we recommend our 2 nights package to experience all the activities and truly enjoy this tranquil part of the world. Volunteer experiences, 6 nights/7 days are also available. Now we have our own minivan departing Luang Prabang daily at 8am and it takes you back the following day or days arriving Luang Prabang 4.30pm. It is only a 2 hour journey from Luang Prabang, Laos' UNESCO World Heritage listed town.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed 2 days, 1 night at the Elephant Conservation Center with our 2 kids (7 and 8 years old). One of the best experiences so far! Their vision how they started the Conservation Center, the passion how they run the Center, how they teach about the elephants, they way they work with the government and the locals... Very impressive but also very Great way to teach our children how important it is to treat animals and elephants in particular! It was great to see the passion of all staff members. Proud of all the work they did and what they achieved!

All reviews
"one night"
"other guests"
"end of the day"

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I contemplated whether to do this as it wasn't really in my budget for my trip. I decided to do it once I got to Laos and booked the one night trip. It was so amazing I extended it to the 2 night stay the night I got there! You learn so much about the elephants alongside with observing them and my favourite was walking alongside them in the forest!

The food is great here, the bungalows are lovely and the view on the balcony is amazing with your own hammock! The bathroom facilities are great and clean, a lot better than the hostel I was staying at!

My advice would be...don't worry about the money spent here it's actually great value and you really so see where your money goes. Book the 2 night trip and also in low season (March) we only had a team of 8 and then only 5 for the following day. The team of 2 that arrived the day after had the the entire tour to themselves!

If you need more info just pop into their lovely office in Luang Prabang and jozef will help you. Everyone is so friendly at ECC!

I hope to go back in the future and volunteer!

1  Thank Megan U
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

If you care about animals this place is a must see. By visiting you are directly helping these beautiful, intelligent animals and ensuring their future survival. Cannot recommend it enough. A must do!

1  Thank melhefford
Reviewed 20 March 2018 via mobile

I can’t describe this place with words. We went there for three days, 2 nights and we learned so much! The animals are treated really well (which is a really big deal for me), you have your own guide the whole time which is really good. All of the staff is really well educated and could answer all of our questions. This is not a place where you can ride, bath or feed the elephants because the elephants living there are learning to be real wild elephants, not captured elephants. Most of the activities were observing their behaviour but that was so much more fun! We could approach them though one by one when they were comfortable with it which was nice. Can’t compliment this place enough, wanted to go back as soon as I left so I deffinetely will someday!!