“Tropical getaway right in Rincon.”
Review of Lazy Parrot Inn

Lazy Parrot Inn
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Rincon
Reviewed 21 March 2012

What a fun loving, breezy, tropical hideaway I managed to find. The Lazy Parrot Inn is tucked away near the best surf in Rincon.
My room was quiet, close to the pool, and had a nice tropical twist too it.
It's like staying in a mini resort, great drinks, fun atmosphere, super staff.
I'll be back!

• Stayed: March 2012
BirdLady, Owner at Lazy Parrot Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2012

The best form of flattery is a guest who says they will return! So glad your stay was fun, full of good drinks and atmosphere! Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 21 March 2012

I was recommended to the Lazy Parrot by a local after we arrived in town. After entering the Inn, I was surprised at how cool it was - It is a little tropical escape oasis! We spent most of our time lounging by the pool and the food at the Rum Shack was excellent. They make a delicious burger !! My room was large and up to date and super-clean. The bed was very comfortable and I found myself sleeping in later than I usually do. The staff at the front desk was super-friendly and went out of their way to answer my tourist questions. I stayed a week with my wife and it was the perfect little getaway for us. We give the Lazy Parrot 2 Thumbs Up. We will definitely be back !!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

You have no idea how happy it makes me when someone describes our inn as a tropical oasis. 23 years ago it was a mere 4 bedroom house that needed alot of tender loving care. I will pass on the rave review to my staff, without them, it wouldn't be super clean, super friendly and relaxing.....look forward to your return visit!

Bidlady

Reviewed 19 March 2012

I stayed here for two nights in Room 2. King size, cable tv, ac, internet and cell phone coverage were great. Bed wasn't too soft and neither were the pillows but i was too tired to care. Clean bathrooms and common areas. "Smiley" at the bar and the staff were very cool and courteous. Only mystery is that after i stayed there the second night i woke up covered in red bites. Mostly on my stomach and some on my right armpit. I consulted a dermatologist and she said that they looked to be bed bugs by their cluster like appearance and overnight occurrence. I asked the owner to check and she said there were none and that it could have been sea lice or sand bugs. I found that hard to believe because I know what sea lice feel like and what their bites look like and the bites occurred overnight in the evening before my flight when i didn't go to the beach at all that day. Its a mystery to me, but I would check your beds before crashing. I probably won't be coming back here.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank lostsurfer83
BirdLady, Owner at Lazy Parrot Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

This guest notified the hotel by email on Sunday evening that he believed he had been bit by bedbugs while staying in our hotel. I immediately addressed the issue, found out what room he was in, contacted our pest control service and began our investigation. By Monday morning, the room had been gone over with a fine tooth comb and NO signs of bugs were found. I responded again to the guest, went over our findings and gave him subsequent ideas of what he may have come in contact with. After speaking with some of the surfers in the area, I was informed that the days the client was at the hotel, the coastal waters were full of what we call sea lice. This is a microorganism, known by surfers in the tropics, that produces welt type bites. He was a surfer....made sense, they had to come from somewhere. The guest thanked me for my investigation.

The next day I saw his trip advisor review. I find it interesting how he consulted a dermatologist, between his Saturday afternoon departure and his Sunday evening email to me, but let's say he found a doctor on call over the weekend. At this point, I would question the doctor because it isn't bedbugs. Other than his bed bug theory he only has lovely things to say about the Lazy Parrot and staff.

I love TripAdvisor, this is a great tool for people to give honest opinions on their stays however when a person can post theories without proof which can be detrimental to a business, I feel the system has failed. For anyone who is concerned about staying based on this review, I would be happy for you to talk to our staff or pest control company, to put your mind at ease.

Regards,
Francia Lantz
Aka Birdlady
Owner of the Lazy Parrot
Rincon, Puerto Rico

Reviewed 16 March 2012

We really enjoyed the Rum Shack and Restaurant and maybe this is the strategy to offer rooms on Skyauction.com. We would have been very disappointed if we would have had to pay full price for this small inn. The room was no bigger than 12 x 12. and the bathroom was only 5 x 5 at best. I am sure this was the budget room they speak about on the website. Other issues as said before it the water is low on pressure and not very hot. We understand it is solar but we have seen better. The internet has been spotty at best and not what I would say reliable. Overall we enjoyed the wait staff and bartenders at the Rum Shack. We are the kind of customers that don't say much and more that likely will not return.

Room Tip: Would recommend not to stay in the main building if you plan on staying here.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

I am not real sure what strategy he is speaking of here. Our focus at the Lazy Parrot is to bring affordable accommodations no matter what budget you have. Our contract with SkyAuction is for our value rooms. Value rooms are smaller than our poolside rooms but offer the same amenities as our higher priced rooms, mini fridge, microwave, continental breakfast. If this guests expectations were higher than his Sky Auction budget I am sure he could have upgraded to a poolside room if it was available. We never want a guest to leave unhappy or unsatisfied with their stay and from his Trip Advisor restaurant review it sounds like our restaurant exceeded his expectations. What one man's value may not be anothers but I can assure you here at the Lazy Parrot we offer something for everyone. You just need to be clear on your wants and needs and we can match you with the right room category.

Reviewed 13 March 2012

My husband and I went to dinner at the restaurant and the food was excellent. I must say it was the best food we had in PR. We had the Char Grilled Octopus salad and the Octopus was very tender and sweet. For the Entree I had a Pork Tenderloin over sweet potatoes I cant remember the name of the dish but it was the best I have ever eaten.The flavors were outstanding and cooked perfect. My husband had Snapper and this was also great.The chefs here do a great job!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Pam2960
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Where do I begin? 1) several flights of stairs... there is a good possibility that you will fall while you're here. There is a lot of tiling through out the place and between the afternoon showers and the watered plants, you're probably going to slip and fall. 2) Small rooms, which wouldn't have been so bad, but the bathrooms are terribly small and hard to move around...especially the shower! The shower curtain was an average sized curtain (which was folded in half to fit the small shower) and every single time I'd pull it back, sure enough a metal (and heavy) shower curtain ring would fall. The last time I got out of the shower, I got hit on the head (and the night before I had slipped on the stairs)... so I have come back with a few bruises. 3) HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE FOOD! I had read a lot of reviews (besides tripadvisor.com) and had read about which food items to avoid, so I did. Sure enough, I ordered a burrito ($14) and it was tasteless except for the burnt taste that came from the meat and tortilla chips... oh! And if you go here thinking that you'll just go ahead and try the burrito anyway, please be aware that litterally 3/4 of the burrito is stuffed with yellow rice. My husband got the pulled pork sandwhich and spit it out... (I tasted it and the "BBQ" sauce tasted like spaghetti sauce and the pork was dry) we had also ordered conch fritters.... I've never had a wet fritter, but this thing was over cooked and wet inside (all at the same time). I sent back the burrito and my bill was still $25... fyi NO FREE REFILLS so everytime you ask for a refill, that's $2 added to your bill and I KNOW I didn't drink a full can of coke. 4) Parking... goodness! Parking was horrible. Go there and you'll find out what I am talking about. Alone, I could tolerate the steep (and SMELLY ...the dumpster was never emptied while we were there and my husband and I would hold our breath while we ran to the car) parking lot but as I reflect on all the money I spent... it adds to my frustration! 5) hard pillows.... 6) After I cleaned up some hair in the bathroom, I had no other cleanliness issues 7) I was told "NO PETS", but heard a dog barking every morning and night ...SOOO ANNOYING! During the elections, vans with SUPER loud speakers drive around all day and night (we woke up to one) but obviously the motel cannot control this... My husband and I were eager every morning to get up and out of that place. Rincon is nice and we've been going there and will continue to visit, however I will never stay here again.

1  Thank Holly P
BirdLady, Owner at Lazy Parrot Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2012

I have always said, the Lazy Parrot isn't for everyone. We are not a motel, in Puerto Rico a motel is a room rented out by the hour with garage doors that hide your vehicle from the outside world, we are a Small Inn. Our value rooms are smaller, that is why they are value rooms, smaller rooms for a smaller price. Pets ARE allowed, however I have not been able to confirm, if a pet was staying while these guests were there, but there are lots of dogs in Puerto Rico and there are no leash laws, so you will see and hear dogs all the time in Puerto Rico. Numerous times I have addressed the stair issue, we have stairs (lots of them), our hotel spills down the side of the mountain (that is the charm of the place), we also have handrails everywhere for your use and signage that designates areas that are slippery, if you don't use them or don't read the signage, you might fall.

Our burrito and conch fritters are our best sellers and everyone rants and raves about our food, that is why we are ranked #2 in Rincon, but that doesn't everyone will love it!

Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the United States, however what is normal in Puerto Rico is not normal in the U.S., sound trucks are an everyday thing here. Not only are they used for political purposes but to make announcements to the community. Along with barking dogs and roosters, I would say Puerto Rico isn't the quietest place in the world.

So I will say it again, the Lazy Parrot isn't for everyone, but we try really hard to please!

Reviewed 12 March 2012

Very comfortable, very friendly, very reasonable and an excellent restaurant. Good location and easy drive to good beaches for snorkelling and surfing.

Room Tip: New block.
2  Thank davidroths
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rincon
3.6 km away
21.7 km away
Hotel Colonial
Hotel Colonial
#2 of 4 in Mayaguez

Been to Lazy Parrot Inn? Share your experiences!