“Once in a lifetime...”

Last Frontier Mushing Co-op
More attraction details
Owner description: The Last Frontier Mushing Co-op is a canine collective of three different competitive distance racing kennels who have joined forces to offer authentic mushing experiences. Meet champion canines and learn from mushers who have received a combined total of 7 Veterinarian Choice Awards. Come get lost in the world of dogs, whiskered kisses and arctic bliss. Located 150 miles below the Arctic Circle we explore the Alaskan wilderness by sled dog & immerse our guests in the tranquility of the frozen North. Mush with Canine Champions on our Aurora Tours, 2-hr Day Mushes, Expeditions or overnight in our yurt! Custom packages available upon request.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

What an AMAZING adventure we had a Last Frontier Mushing Co-op! I went with a friend who had been mushing before and she said this experience by far blew the first one away! Certainly exceeded any expectations I could have had!!! Matt and Amanda’s property is off the grid, but the email they provide and the signage leading you down the drive off Chena Springs Rd makes it super easy to find! As soon as you drive up, you are greeting by the happy callings of the racing huskies. After chatting with Matt and Amanda for a bit, we went outside to meet the dogs! They are SO BEAUTIFUL!!! Then we got to learn how to/and then harness the dogs and place them on the sled line! Matt got us set up in the sled and then we were off!!! My friend said this ride was way longer than the first ride she had been out on... it was probably a good 40 minutes! We stopped about halfway to let the dogs roll around in the snow and take some pictures! Matt had won the Yukon Quest last year and placed second this year and then also raced his first Iditarod this year, so he was telling us racing stories and answered our many questions about how that all works. So much fun!!!! We got back and chatted a bit more and then parted ways. Matt and Amanda are so incredibly genuine and welcoming—we really appreciated how welcomed they made us feel and for the time they took to share their life and lives with us! Amanda even sent us a follow up email with pictures she had taken of us harnessing the dogs and getting out on our ride. I absolutely recommend their place if you are looking to meet some awesome people and awesome dogs on your Alaskan adventure!!! It is certainly one I will never forget! I will absolutely be back if I make it back to Fairbanks! Thanks so much again, guys!!!

1  Thank Merel D
"aurora"
"alaska"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed April 4, 2018

This experience by FAR blew me away and all of my expectations out of the water!!! First of all, Last Frontier Mushing Co-Op is probably on some of the prettiest land in Alaska! You drive up and are instantly greeted by the happy barking of the racing huskies! Amanda and Matt are so so friendly and make you feel right at home in their piece of Alaskan paradise! Truly genuine, welcoming people!!! After chatting for a few minutes, we got to meet the dogs and Matt told us all about the different dogs. We then got to harness them and place them on the line! Then, we went for the ride of a lifetime! I hadn’t been mushing before but the friend I was with had been and said this ride was way longer than the ride she’d been on before! Matt had won the Yukon Quest last year and placed second this year and raced his first Iditarod as well, so he had lots of stories and information about the racing life and his life as a kennel owner in general! The ride he took us on was absolutely breathtaking and something I’ll never forget!!! We stopped about halfway through and got to take some pictures with the dogs and let them roll around in the snow! I am so thankful for this experience! Matt and Amanda have the coolest life and are so open to sharing a piece of it with you—you will not regret for one second booking with them! Amanda even got some shots of us getting the dogs ready and of us when we were out on our ride and sent them to us in a follow-up email!!! They are off the grid but the email they send with directions off of Chena Springs Road and the signage they have leading to their property made it super easy to find! Thanks for an amazing adventure!!!!! If I am ever back in Fairbanks I will definitely be back to you!!!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Reviewed March 30, 2018 via mobile

My mother came up from Florida to visit and Ryne made absolutely sure she was bundled enough and ready for adventure. Ryne was an outstanding guide on our 2 hour Chena Mush. She explained everything about the sport all while driving us all over the place seeing the awesome beauty of the area. I cannot day enough good things about our experience!

Reviewed March 21, 2018 via mobile

The tour ran a little less than 2 hours, and we booked it literally the day of according to Rod’s recommendation, so I think the owners gave us a private tour at a time that’s generally after their business hours. All four of us really like dogs, and we definitely enjoyed the ride as well as the opportunity for interaction with the dogs (including hooking them onto the sled). The weather was wonderful, though a little cold, but we couldn’t have been happier with this tour!