“After the renovation a worst off hotel terrible rip off for club floor”

The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
New York City, New York
“After the renovation a worst off hotel terrible rip off for club floor”
Reviewed 19 April 2012

stayed here recently I loved this hotel, but now with renovations everything is worst off as the investors raised the price on everything to recoup their investments. The worst club floor experience of a ritz carlton, baloney slices all day in salad , bread and cut 10 diff. ways we got sick and probably never eat baloney for another 10 years, not worth 750 a night oh no. That newly renovated club floor blue walls, the ritz is know for luxury crown molding luxury wood furniture. The hallways painted this horrible light blue color molding same color , such a shame, furniture typical standard hotel grade. Now the prices on everything went abt 25%, food pool bar room service. Say goodbye to this place I see loyal customers like myself running for teh exists, sad really. btw the service was still great but for this money gosh at least they can do that .

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mikenyc12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (712)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 18 April 2012

We stayed at the resort for 3 nighs and were impressed. This is definitely on par with other Ritz-Carlton resorts. The grounds are beautiful and the service was fantastic. We were a little concerned because there were some negative reviews but don't believe them. This is the best place to stay on the island. Highly reccomend upgrading to the Club Level. Well worth the money.

• Stayed April 2012
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 April 2012

The Ritz in Puerto Rico has several things going for it. It's close to the airport, has a nice (not great) beach, plenty of fine dining (two of the best restaurants on the island, BLT and Il Mulino) and a nice Casino. It is packed with families so if that is your thing and you are looking to eat well on property and hang with the kids on the beach or at the pool: great. If you are looking for a romantic high-end Ritz property, this is not the place for you. Its casual, its all about families with kids and its not a particularly up-scale experience. The prices however (for rooms, drinks, food) are very upscale indeed. So bring the kids, pee in the pool, pay through the nose.

Room Tip: There is no escape from the din of children's wailing.
princeton
Reviewed 17 April 2012

If you go spring break - be prepared to see baby carriages and infants at the bar, both the Pool Bar and the Lobby Bar. The pool, while lovely, is insufferable due to the sheer number of little kids running around. The hot tub, never had less than 6 kids under 10years old in it at any given time. The beach is a better option if you don't enjoy kids running all over and screaming at the top of their lungs. This is NO upscale experience despite the prices. Even their restaurants like Il Mulino and BLT will have you skirting around little kids to get to your table, while their parents dine in shorts and tee shirts.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 16 April 2012

First, this IS NOT a place to stay and eat if you are a budget traveller, or a family that's "pinching pennies". I read a few reviews of pricey food especially, YES, this is a resort, and priced accordingly. All resorts typically do not have bargains when it comes to food-service, not even breakfast! Do not expect low-priced fast-food walking distance either, although there was one food-cart vendor on the edge of the property with "modest" priced American type foods.
The ocean-view room is furnished in modern style. Ours was a king bed and approx 400s.f. We stayed on the 8th floor with a balcony. BALCONIES ARE VERY LIMITED on this property. DO NOT EXPECT one! I had to insist on the phone to make sure I got a balcony. I booked directly with the hotel, and rec'd this way only. Look @ website, then call!!! I had none of the hassles a few reviewers wrote on getting a room type. The beach is great, the pool area can fill fast, but it's best to really experience the ocean setting, and sit on a lounge on the sand, and all still very close to the pool and bar/towel services areas. NICE staff all-over, and consistent. No big "gripes" and best for singles, couples, and older-families with kids 12+ years. Room-service was always quick, and good. Be aware hotel is VERY CLOSE to airport, which is good and bad. If any type of jet-noise bothers you, you might want to go elsewhere. If your room faces away from ocean, you might just look @ the end of a runway of SJU. Typically while INSIDE THE HOTEL you won't hear anything, but during the day while on the beach, you will hear and see the jets on takeoff. Not a deal-breaker, just be aware.

Room Tip: Room that faces towards ocean, otherwise the view on otherside is towards airport and maybe more noi...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Globetrker
charleston,sc
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I'd like to start this review by saying my expectations were not overly high nor am I a picky customer but my family did not experience the Ritz in the same way the other reviewers did. We arrived at the hotel last Monday, April 9th. We had requested a city view with a balcony, two queen beds and a mini-refrigerator about a month in advance and had corresponded back and forth about 3 times prior to arrive. The day we checked in, none of these requests were accomodated. Not only that our room was not ready until about one hour after check-in time. I should also mention that while we were checking in, all other guests seemed to be having issues with getting the room and any requests as well. One woman came up and was very upset. I believe she'd been at the hotel for at least a day or two with nothing resolved on her situation. I'd also like to mention that are no city view rooms available with a balcony but not one employee informed me of this as we corresponded back and forth- they even said, "yes, Mrs. Hinson, I see we have that noted for you" leaving me to assume all was good. When we checked in and $100 lunch for a cheeseburger, turkey wrap,3 soda's and macaroni & cheese we went to inquire on our room- still not ready. We asked to get our suits so we can at least change into our bathing suits. My husband went ahead to the grocery store to stock up a few drinks, snacks, cereal, yogurt, etc....- when he got back he was told that they had already given away the fridge's. Listen, we are not difficult customers- but to ask for 3-4 specific items that are in no way that out of the ordinary and not to receive any- nor did management seem to care- we were just done. My husband just kept at it since he'd spent $130 in groceries and they did finally locate a fridge- which trust me comes in handy b/c food not just at the Ritz but in general in San Juan is very expensive. Trust me, I know- this is a tourist area and my husband and I travel a fair bit (at least one big trip a year- usually out of the country) and several in the states- but the prices were over the top. We ate at a DUMP called Lupi's at the suggestion of a Ritz employee. We ordered cheese sticks, two chicken taco's and one shrimp burritto with two soda's and 2 beers. The bill was $85- and it was disgusting. I digress....

We ran into the owner of the hotel before going to Marmalade's in old San Juan one night (which is GREAT, a definite must) and he was actually very complimentary of our family. We were dressed up and celebrating a birthday. He asked me husband how service was b/c again- he noticed his staff was very slow to even approach us for drinks in the lobby before dinner. My husband nicely told him of our experience so far but did compliment him of the grounds of the hotel (which are beautiful- the only reason I gave this place a 3). The owner then told my husband he would be sending a bottle of wine to our dinner. Guess what- just like the rest of experiences at the Ritz- it wasn't there- surprise, surprise.

In somewhat fairness to the hotel- it was Spring Break and they were probably booked. However, the only special employee I met was Ms. Maya at the spa- very friendly and did a great job. The doorman were always friendly as well.

The hotel itself is beautiful and if you are traveling with kids they will have a good time. Their were tons of families. I will concede with another traveler below the majority of them (as in maybe 98%) the week we were there were from NY or NJ. We were definitely the outcasts being from the South. We did however meet some very nice families and our daughter made some new friends. Some guests were rude & over the top with behavior from their children (and parents) in the pool and hogging the chairs. You truly do have to wake up by 6:30 a.m. to get your seats.

It is well worth taking a cab into San Juan or other nearby cities to a.) actually see some actual culture and 2) will still save you $$$ with a cab ride and eating off the resort. Wine is literally $20/glass. And like my husband and I said- if the service was actually good- we'd probably indulged at the hotel a bit more. But we thought the service was so bad that we did not even want to give them a dime of our money.

Sophia Pizza Italian Kitchen in old San Juan is great as well and the forts are a must.

Rental cars are cheap so I'd advise that.

Ziplining was fun but crazy expensive at $401 from the actual tour and $75 reservation fee at the Ritz for 3 people. We paid $45/pp in Costa Rica and got a better tour. Our daughter enjoyed it so it made it worth it.

Location of the hotel is beachfront so this is a big plus to most (we live at the beach so lesson learned), not in the best of area's outside of the hotel but plenty within walking distance.

All in all, I would never go back to this hotel and if I return to PR, and it will be awhile, it will be to Rincon, Puerto Rico.

Room Tip: We did well in our city view as it was the front of the hotel with mountains. If a balcony is a mus...
8 Thank graceleigh
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviewed 14 April 2012

This is one of the best service hotels I've ever stayed. You are always greeted at the door coming or going. Checkin/checkout was very smooth.
Calling for any room service was fast. The only issue may be with calling the concierge. They seem rather busy all the time and it's probably best to go down there personally to talk with them. There is also a separate tours staff that was very helpful. The facilities and grounds are in great shape.
The lobby lounge seems to be a popular evening gathering spot for dinner or night cap. The food is very good but as expected on the pricey side. I'd recommend walking a block or two to Platos or Metropol for some authentic Carribean cuisine. The beach is not overly crowded though the surf is rougher than other beaches. In fact just down a few hotels, folks are surfing. The hotel is almost located next to the airport. While you can hear jets periodically, I did not find it bothersome. It is $15 taxi ride to the airport and $20 to Old San Juan. There is Enterprise Rental Car on site.
Tip, reserve the car on the internet and pick it up. If you walk up and reserve, it cost alot more. In fact, this may seem to be a hassle, if you have to reserve multiple days, it might make sense to reserve by the day. It might end up being cheaper as Ritz will charge you to park or valet your car.

2 Thank bcsystems
0.5 km away
El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
6.2 km away
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!