See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Great place to go to really get away from life for a while. Stayed here for 5 days in July. Had the hostel to myself most of the time. Fantastic views and a very peaceful time. Hostel owners also own the store...a great place to just enjoy the island and enjoy your own thoughts

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Jules197979
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Its a very small hostel, you have to ask at the shop accross the road to be let in. Everzthing was very clean and comfortable. The price was the cheapest we paid for a hostel anywhere in canada by quite a way, and for that there was nothing wrong with it. But the star of the show here is the location, Brier Island is magical and a pleasant respite from the more trodden parts of nova scotia - whilst being just as beautiful!

Room Tip: Its small, so all rooms similar
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank josh_janna
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed in the Brier Island Hostel 4 days in June and found it hard to part! Everything very clean and well equipped, lots of space, friendly and very helpful host (thanx again, Wally!) and last not least: The view from the common room is unbelievable! You can just sit there for hours and watch the tide rising and falling, see fog coming in (and going out again if you're lucky), listen to the gulls...and the sunset light on the light house of St. Peter's Island is beautiful.
You have to see it for yourselves. I stayed in the Digby Backpacker's Hostel (also very recomendable) before I went to Brier Island and there the hosts helped me organize my transfer to Brier Island with the mail delivery man :). Another great experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank ilsara55
Reviewed August 25, 2012

By some comments and ads we heard about this nice hostel at the very end of the "world"! It is worth to go there although you have to take a almost 2 hours ride by car and two ferries. At the end you will realize that this hostel seems to be part of a greater business by an nice old couple who started it all. May be you will meet them sitting on a bench in front of the hostel and talking to guests. The hostel it self is upstairs from the Whale Watching Cruise Office where you get a discount for a cruise if you stay in the hostel. It is clean and has a nice kitchen with living room and has two clean bathrooms.

On the other side you find an general store where there is also the reception for the hostel. You better buy your self some food there then to eat in the cafe beside. We eat some fish and chips and scallops which really were awful! Nothing was fresh, the oil tasted old and my wife got a really bad stomach that night! She spent more time in the toilet than in bed letting out all meal again! I don't know if it was because it was evening! But this experience with the Cafe was really bad!

I am not sure if I am rigth, but I think, hostel, Store and Cafe belong together!? And they all together make more tourist impression then we thought from earlier reports. The real quiet time and place you find going out for a walk or ride the west lighthouse or just on the other side of the island.

So the hostel is fine, but absolutely avoid the Cafe!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank anjop58
Reviewed May 5, 2009

This place is amazing! This is a real hostel made by backpackers for backpackers! Just perfect! I had the place just for myself which I really enjoyed. The kitchen has everything you could wish for and I love to cook. Wallis and Joyce own also the shop next door (which is the only one on the island). Very handy! Brier Island is a great place for hiking and bird watching. And I was told it's the best spot for whale watching. Only that it wasn't the season for it when I was there ;-) But I enjoyed my hikings very much.
The village is very quiet and there is no pub on the island at all. That makes it the perfect place when you are looking for peace and relaxation. And I loved it very much that there is no TV!!! And for the internet there is a public library with wireless and internet computer very close to the hostel.
Wallis and Joyce have a huge knowledge about the island (Joyce grew up there). And they even gave me a lift to the Halifax Airport!!! Thx a mill for that!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo