All reviews dining room whale watching tour brier island nova scotia seal cove see whales second floor great view get away digby neck lobster bed was comfortable second to none stayed one night stayed longer memorable stay jacuzzi tub
Reviewed August 29, 2017

We stayed two nights during our whale watching experience. The rooms are clean, but simple. No TV. When the sun goes down, read a book or sleep. As there is nowhere else to eat, the hotel restaurant was the only option. The food was good, but staff seemed overwhelmed at both breakfast and supper. The restaurant had a spectacular view, but most room did not.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2017

We were on the 4:30pm whale-watching cruise out of Brier Island and boy was I glad to have booked a room at the Brier Island Lodge. After returning about 7:30pm and 3 hours on the water, the last thing I wanted to do was get into my car and take 2 ferries to drive to another town to sleep. Brier Island Lodge was well-maintained, a large room, comfortable bed and bath. Nice restaurant. The photo shown makes the property look more plain than it is. It's a nice property overlooking the Bay of Fundy.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2017 via mobile

From the moment we walked through the door we received the warmest of welcomes! The guy manning reception chatted, joked, offered to make us a cocktail and talked us through all the available walking routes in the island. All of the staff here have a real passion for the place which is lovely to see, and we felt at home right away.

After a lovely evening walk to seal cove we went to the restaurant not expecting much...and were pleasantly surprised by the delicious heartwarming food on offer. The cheesecake in particular is to die for.

The rooms are neat and well equipped and the location is stunning. Breakfast in the morning was just what we needed to set us up for a busy day of whale watching and the kind and attentive service really made our stay.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2017

This was our first trip in Nova Scotia, with our two kids (5 and 7). We did a few cities (Halifax, Lunenburg, Brier Island, Annapolis Royal), but the most breathtaking was definitely here, at Brier Island! Some of the trekking is well adapted for kids, the Lodge is well situated on the Island with probably the best view. If you are patient, you may as well see whales directly in the harbor from your room window! The owners, Virginia and especially her husband were very welcoming. The spacious family room is great for kids while your finishing your meal in the next room. Rooms are also very comfortable and the food very good. Only comment is that they seemed to have a lack of staff in the restaurant so don't be in any rush when eating breakfast or dinner there.

Finally, the company referred by the Lodge for the whale watching, Brier Island Whale and Seabird Cruises, was excellent. The weather was definitely on our side and we saw many whales, dolphins and seals. We were there only 2 nights and if we had to do it again, we should have stayed a few extra nights!

Room tip: Rooms on the second floor have a better view
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed August 17, 2017

We only stayed one night and the room did smell musty (glad my son with allergies wasn't with us) however there were several things that prompted me to rate this average motel as very good.
1. The view from our second floor room was fabulous, as was the view from the restaurant. We could see whales in the harbour during breakfast!!!
2. The food at breakfast was awesome, way better than your average hot breakfast! I had an oriental vegetable omelette that sounded a bit weird, but was absolutely scrumptious. My mother loved the blueberry pancakes. My daughter is still raving about the french toast with raspberry sauce. And there were whales!!!
3. The mattresses in our room were plush and very comfortable. I really miss my luxuriously soft bed when I am away from home and I actually had the best sleep of our trip here.
4. Proximity to the north lighthouse where we saw a truly awesome sunset and whales!
The deal offered when booking this room and a whale watching cruise was excellent value for the money. I would stay here again. Given the delicious breakfast we had, next time I would eat supper in the dining room, too!

Date of stay: July 2017