All reviews island tour pizza pirate cove italian deli salad rum punch service charge hotel guests laid back dinghy dock snorkel gear salt whistle bay his job call of duty small table the kitchen staff beach
Reviewed September 3, 2018

Apparently Canouan began being developed around 1996 and the outside of The Tamarind Beach Hotel in 2018 seemed new and beautiful with rich brown wood, sky blue rooftops rising out of the surrounding trees with white filagree and well tended borders. It was a charming place, fairly large: picturesque and perfect with beautiful foliage masking and accenting the hotel with well-kept grounds. There didn’t seem to be many people about. When I arrived maybe 15 people I took to be hotel guests were using the beach or bar before going off on various excursions of their own.

I was on the S.V. Mandalay and today was a dry landing. I walked down the jetty and appeared at the Pirate Cove Bar that didn’t seem to have any patrons then I paid our purser $10 to utilize the beach after our launch dropped us off. I should have asked what amenities my $10 entitled me to because I eventually noticed kayaks and small sail boats and apparently snorkel gear was also available.

I walked to my left and I staked a place near the far beach bar and on the way the Italian Deli, Buon Appetito snagged my eye. I’m not sure it was open but after returning home the webpage said it’s a great place to stock up for an island picnic. Today I preferred no fuss and I was content with my beach chair and the full service beach bar which served the same food as other restaurants at the hotel and they accepted credit cards. The bartender had a specialty drink called a Sand Castle. It’s like a colada - with rum, amaretto, Coco Lopez and pineapple juice, frothed up and garnished with freshly grated nutmeg. Delicious and refreshing, and nutmeg, the spice of the Grenadines was perfect. Sean the bartender was efficient and friendly and being an English speaker helped out when I got the urge to rent a kayak. For an additional $10, I paddled across our bay but didn’t go further than a working jetty down the beach. The brown boobies with their taxi-yellow feet perched on piers really were fun to see and a little shocking.

Eventually, I ordered lunch. The Conch Ceviche was wonderful, for 47.70 EC ($17). I’d had 2 diet cokes (10EC) then I sent a round of Sand Castles to the gang, six for 143.10 EC (about $9 apiece.) There was a 17EC service charge added to my bill that I didn’t catch (about $6) so I accidentally tipped 20% USD. I overpaid a bit but that’s OK. This was a delightful meal, reasonably priced and finely amplifying a chilled out day but check to see if a service charge has been included on your tab!

Oddly, this was the only island I’ve been to where the water was a bit unclear, greenish with limited visibility. It was perfectly fine and soothing as the sand was almost too hot for walking barefoot, but for solitude and a relaxing day, the Tamarind seems to be an ideal place!

I’d heard from other mates that the island tour SailWindjammer arranged wasn’t great because the guide had to be prodded for information, but other mates scored with their snorkeling, seeing octopus and cuttlefish. I’m not sure where on the island they were but I was feeling too lazy anyway to snorkel. I just bobbed in the surf and this, at the Tamarind was a perfect day.

Room tip: I utilized the beach on a day trip only. It was nice and relaxing.
Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank jrossmrv
Reviewed August 16, 2018 via mobile

I recently traveled to Canuoan and even though I did not stay at the hotel I ended up going there almost daily. The staff is very welcoming and accommodating. I went to the beach there most days and enjoyed Sean’s service at the bar. He was extremely nice and his drinks are superb! (Try his mojito )
We also visited the restaurant at night and we had their pasta and a couple of their pizzas. The food and service were both great!

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed July 26, 2018 via mobile

This was our first time to Canouan. My husband and I had visited the Grenadines before by boat, 2 years ago... but never made it to Canouan. So as some friends were getting together for a meet up, we decided to join them on Destination Canouan Fun as we called it.

From the moment we arrived to the very minute at breakfast before our flight, we felt like family and were treated accordingly. Our Food & Beverage Manager Ryan did everything in his power to ensure each and every person in our group were satisfied and in need of nothing. He went above and beyond his call of duty and amazingly to no end with the biggest smile on his face.

We were a mixed group of 32, adults and kids. So his job was certainly cut out for him. Ryan maintained his professionalism and hospitality throughout and by extension his staff beneath him.

I highly recommend TBH for any family destination vacay, the beach is amazingly beautiful with lots of beach activities, the pizza is blowmind... made freshly right in front of you ... the pirate cove restaurant and bar is just what you would want on an island vacay ...fluffy drinks and music all night long.

Definitely doing a repeat visit ...... worth every penny.

Thank you to all the staff :- Floyd you’re the best beach attendant ever!! Roland & Sean thanks for the drinks, Monique and all the ladies who served us breakfast everyday ...... you guys rock!!

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Rachel M
Reviewed May 11, 2018 via mobile

I came here for dinner, the staff was nice. Had a pina colada to drink and my brother. Later ordered a Jerk Chicken pizza and and my brother ordered Slow cooked pork ribs which he stated were good. Had enough left back for breakfast this morning.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed February 20, 2018

Just spent a week here. We loved the place. Slept very well with the sound of the surf in the back ground. The food was lovely and the staff made us feel very welcome. Thanks Ryan, great time was had. Sand, sea and rum punch, oh, and work.
WIFI not the best, seemed to come and go in the room, but sitting at reception improved the situation.

Date of stay: February 2018