“Excellent french cuisine from a master chef”
Review of Auberge St Roch

Auberge St Roch
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 25, 2019

I picked this restaurant by chance. We were staying in St. Astier and have friends living in France near Bessines so tried to find a midway point to meet for lunch.
Well - what a find - a beautiful restaurant in an amazingly pretty village.
The very best dining experience we had in France in the whole 3 weeks we were there.
The food, service and ambiance were outstanding.

Date of visit: August 2019
1  Thank Joy W
Write a reviewReviews (207)

Reviewed May 22, 2019

This is a fantastic find in Saint Ybard. Highly recommend it. Fantastic food, service, all round the quality is high.

Date of visit: May 2019
2  Thank sonica33
Reviewed May 19, 2019

Fantastic lunch with husband and daughter today, cannot fault it perfect meal in intimate surroundings with great service. Would highly recommend for both lunch and dinner our favourite restaurant in the whole region.

Date of visit: May 2019
2  Thank Barbara S
Reviewed April 8, 2019

Friends had recommended coming here for lunch and despite popping in without a reservation the other day, we were not disappointed. Situated overlooking a bend in the road opposite the Mairie and Post Office in the centre of the small village of St Ybard, the Auberge Restaurant St Roch provided a welcome change in both décor and content from the typical kind of local eateries serving Menu du Jour/Menu Ouvrier, but that was not surprising given the Michelin Guide Recommended sticker on the front door. Light and bright inside with stone pillars and an exposed stone wall to the rear and with a light modern jazz soundtrack quietly playing in the background, all served to create a lovely ambiance.
Our simple Menu du Jour started with complementary puff pastry Hors d’oeuvre and was followed by an Amuse Bouche. Described by the server as a ‘Cappuccino’ it was actually a small bowl of sweet chesnut ‘soup’ and was very tasty and served in an attractive distorted tear-drop shaped bowl.
For our main course I had what was called Quasi de Veau rôtis with cream and nuts. The Veal was, to me, lovely and pink as well as chunky and was well matched with the sauce. What is more it was served with real vegetables and a melange of broccoli, carrots and potatoes, not just lettuce as is common in these parts (yes even with a hot dish!)
My wife preferred the somewhat strange sounding pairing of Salmon with Orange and rice but that was an absolute triumph with chunky salmon and an imaginative and tasty sauce. That too had the same melange of vegetables.
For dessert we each had a choice from five different options. I was really conflicted and would happily have eaten them all but I settled for what was called Omelette Norvegienne, which was like a slab of gateau but in a Baked Alaska style with a large hint of Grand Marnier and accompanied by passion sorbet and vanilla ice-cream; needless to say I never left any. My wife on the other hand had the intriguing sounding Chaud froid pistache et chocolat with mascarpone. When it arrived it looked like a light brown coloured chocolate brownie with a large tuile pistachio sail. From the piece she offered me I can say it was light and crumbly with more than a hint of Amaretto.
Our experience was concluded with coffee which was delivered alongside some sculpted macarons. A very pleasant ended to what had been a lovely meal.

Date of visit: March 2019
1  Thank DJS54
Reviewed May 28, 2018

The Auberge serves beautifully presented meals with a good choice of carte dejour for lunch. The service is almost perfect and such a nice place for lunch.
The attention to detail is appreciated.
I would certainly recommend this restaurant.

Date of visit: May 2018