See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed July 19, 2014

We used the pub as a base for a country walk followed by lunch for a group of about 12 of us. We had originally booked for 20 but fewer people decided to join us in the end. From our first enquiry, through to the booking and the change of numbers, the landlord Steve could not have been more helpful. He kept in touch via email - a level of communication sadly not very common these days. When it came to lunch, we all chose different items from the lunch menu, and every one of us thoroughly enjoyed the food, good quality and excellent value. We had a great time!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank UKjohnHertfordshire
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Thank you Steve and the team for a warm welcome and professional service we recieved today when we popped in for lunch. The meal was hot, tasty and good value for money, the decor is tasteful and well presented and the overall cleanliness was very good. We will be customers for life and have no hesitation in recommending to family and friends.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2014

After visiting The White Lion for the first time, I was very impressed with the service, the decor and the fantastic food. The re-fit looks lovely. I would like to thank Russell and Steve for being so welcoming. I will be coming again soon.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed January 23, 2014

This is a local pub to me and it has just undergone a change of management and major refit. The interior is very nice and no loud music or massive screens showing muted programmes. However, I took my wife there for a drink between Xmas and New Year and was very unimpressed. The "person" who served us, well if you can call it that, could not have been less interested if he was being paid to be so. Pint of Beer and Gin & Tonic with lemon. "No Lemon". He didn't look he just said "no lemon" ( other than the one facing me that is), We sat down, my wife ever the oil on troubled water tells me not to fuss. How can a pub not have lemons behind the bar!. I decided , stupidly perhaps, to have another beer. My wife wanted Grapefruit juice. I go to the bar again and same said "person" stands there gawping at me, no offer of service, no banter, no nothing. So I ask for another Abbot Ale and a Grapefruit juice. At the speed of minus dead slow he looks in al the under counter fridges. No Grapefruit juice. Now it so happens that the landlord/manager was now stood at the end of the bar and guessed from my expression that all was not well. So what does he do? He silently mouths to me "Everything OK"..Yes of course it was NOT. So I explain nicely ( amazingly) "No everything was not ok, no lemon, no grapefruit juice, no service, no customer interaction and " I am growing old here waiting for my second beer also".. That was the extent of his concern, no follow up. Now I would not want or expect him to have a go at the staff member in front of me or anyone else. However, we sat with our eventually fulfilled drinks order in the corner of the bar for another 20 minutes. If I had been the manager I would have come over and apologised and tried to ascertain the full details, so one assumes he couldn't be bothered. So guess what we voted with our wallet and no longer spend anytime or money there.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Pedroenzarra
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Happened to be passing through this small village and thought I'd stop for lunch.
Amazing first impression of interior given age of pub. Very friendly staff who greeted me on entrance. Menu selection felt spoilt for choice and if was passing through area again would definitely drop in.
Ordered the home made beef burger which was seasoned to perfection with an adequate portion of fries. Plate was well garnished with fresh salad. Just to add they serve a great cappuccino!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business