See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed September 9, 2015 via mobile

The hotel ia rated 4 stars but i would give it 3 only. Although very clean, the rooms very small and old-decorated. The furniture in the rooms was in good condition but old. The breakfast was not a 4-star hotel breakfast, only cold cuts. The hotel is located two blocks upper the main street of Marianske Lazne and the collonade.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Leyla Z
Reviewed August 22, 2015 via mobile

We spent 3 nights at the hotel Romantic Romanza. I expected a nice luxury hotel. We got an appartement, 2 spaciuos rooms (living room with kitchen and bedroom and big bathroom). The rooms were clean and comfortable. We had 3 spa treatments - the spa centrum is clean and generally ok. Service and facilities of the hotel, in my opinion, match to 3 star hotel, is not 4 star hotel.
Food for the guests with half board was horrible, food a la carte looked much better, but we didn't try it.
In the end, I don't recommend this hotel.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2015

We (couple) spent three nights in June at Hotel Romanza. It was a short trip to Marianske Lazne and we did not expect anything special. We went there just to be on our own and celebrate a "special day". We did not check to target group for this area.

Service and facilities of the hotel in our opinion match to a three star ranking. It is not the four star hotel as you may expect from official ranking.

Rooms are very clean and very, very spacious. They are apartments having a small kitchen. However, the kitchen stood there without equipment except glasses, plates and spoons. Furniture is retro style. All new, clean and comfortable.

Spacious and recently refurbished rooms (not bathrooms) are the benefit of the hotel and a plus, if you like retro style and do not seek a designer interior.

Bathroom is old fashioned, shower cabine is dirty in the corners. No shower gel, no soft tissue, no hair drier, just towels. Ok for summer, but odd for winter.

Same for wellness: You are allowed to use the "spa"/ wellness area at Hotel Continental. But, this hotel is 15 min walk from Hotel Romanza. You have to bring all you need except a single towel per guest which you can get at the reception upon request.

If you want to come by car, you are not allowed to use the parking lots in front of Hotel Continental which are reserved for Hotel Continental guests only. There is no free parking nearby! Be aware of additional cost up to 10 $ per day, in case you want to park your car all day in Marianske Lazne.

There is a free parking area at the ecological park, if you do not hesitate to walk some 5 to 10 min to "downtown" or 30 min to "spa" at Hotel Continental.

Wellness area at Hotel Continental is pretty small. A simple sauna, something like a big bathtub which they call pool, but which does not allow swimming, rather treading water at lower water levels.

Never mind. It was summer days, and we did not intent to spend many hours there. But be careful to book the hotel, if you go there at cold days.

Breakfast is ok, normal food, not for vegetarians, no food for international travellers, but just usual continental and some small English breakfast.

Reception is very friendly as is room made. However, service at the restaurant was the unfriendliest staff I ever came across. They would not dare to smile at you. Even if you grin like hell, no smile on their faces. They treat you as an unwelcomed guest and just do their job without any fun, so that your start of the day better should be outside in the beautiful landscape or a park at Marianske Lazne.

The village - same for Karlovy Lazne - is for older people only or for people seeking medical treatment or need to recover from illness. Restaurants, pubs, bars all are a bit old-fashioned and streets empty early at night (9 pm), even tough it was summer. We did not want to have a party style location, therefore went there. But we would have liked to celebrate our wedding anniversary in a nice restaurant a bit longer than 10 pm. The elder people then met in the small lobbies. Anyway...go there if you expect the usual and do not mind meeting very nice elder people, having nice conversations with them and just ignoring that you are "a youngster of only 50+". It is a very lovely country side, anyway.

Room Tip: Old guests with dogs were loud. Street in the morning is very loud because of food lorries. Ask for top floor and to the rear side.
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2014

I booked two suites at this hotel after reading reviews on TripAdvisor and based on the rating on booking.com. I usually plan my trip early (like six months ahead), so I got a superb deal on the suite rates and was looking forward to staying at this hotel.

We arrived on a Saturday afternoon and was check in by the front desk staff in a manner that seem a bit odd to me. Normally, when you check in at the hotel they usually show you the room type and room rate of your reservation, we didn't get any of that. There were not even a "here is your room number, or the elevator is at your left, breakfast is at when or where". It was a quick took our passport, enter the information, gave us the keys and send us on our way. We had to figure out where the elevator is on our way. It was odd, but I guess that was okay. But we soon figure out why she was in such hurry to send us off.

We got to our floor, and the hallway was dark, but according to the sign on the way, room 402 and 403 was on the left of the elevator. Without much light, we made out one of the room is 404, and there was another door. We then used the flashlight on phone and saw the door has 401, 402, and 403 next to it. A bit odd, but our key got us through the door.

Through the door, we walked into the living room and a balcony overlooking the courtyard and two more doors with 402 and 403, we thought, "well, where is 401 then?". Through those doors, there were smaller than standard hotel room where you can't fit any suitcases in the bedroom. But, it was clean, comfortable, and the bathroom was big and clean. However, we were still confused about the details of the "suites" we got. Because according to their website, the suites should be "24 spacious apartments elegantly furnished and decorated featuring seating area/living room and dining area. Apartments consist of two rooms (bedroom and living/dining room) and they all have quality furniture and elegant textiles." Well, there were only one seating area/living room instead of two, and there were not dining area at all.

We decided to go back to the front desk to inquire about the confusion. She knew it was coming because the first thing she said was that she was fully booked that night (without even looking at her computer). We asked about the reservation we made was for two suites, and it seems like we only a joined suite (family apartment). (notes that we were very polite and did not raise our voice at all, at this point we were more confused than not happy).

She said if the hotel knew their suite guests were together, they would put them in the suite that we had (one seating area/living room, no dining room, and two separate bedrooms). Since the hotel is fully booked to make up the "differences" of room rate, she can offer us free parking (that was 10 euro) for the night. Then, she added, "you are getting a better deal because a regular room has no seating area."
After hearing that comment we started getting a bit upset, we were still calm but starting to realize that the hotel is trying to screw us out of our suites because of the low rate we are paying. I showed her my reservation and told her that according to this, the suites should have a living room area and a dinning room area, what we got is not the room that we had paid. We went back and forth for a while, and we finally told her that we would like to speak to a manager.

She said that because it was a Saturday there are no managers on site and nobody she can call. If we want to talk to someone, we have to wait until the next morning to speak to someone in Prague. We knew then that she was not honest with us. Out of four of us, two of us worked in chain hotels before and one of us were front desk supervisor for more than five years. There is always someone that we can talk to no matter what day or time it is. We insist for her to call her manager and she finally picked up the phone.

As soon as someone picked up at the other end, she started talking loudly on the phone (like she was mad and more like yelling). Throughout the conversation (it was not English) she would stop, look at us, start talking again but in a smirk way with some laughing and more yelling. We (four of us) were feeling real uncomfortable at this point. After about 5~10 mins, she got off the phone and said that her manager doesn't speak English and that there is nothing she can do besides offering the free parking. If we are not happy with that then, we can wait until tomorrow to speak to someone at Prague (their main hotel supposedly)

At this point, we spend over an hour and a half trying to communicate with the hotel with no result. It was getting dark outside, and we were planning on exploring the city that afternoon now it was too dark out.

We went back to our room, and I started calling booking.com (where we made our reservation). I explained what happened to booking.com customer representative, and she asked me to put me on hold so that she can call the hotel to find out what happened.

After about 15 minutes, booking.com told me that the front desk has agreed only to charge me one suite price for the night instead of two. I was surprised to hear that and in the back of mind felt uneasy. I asked her again to make sure and asked her to please put them in an email so I can have a record of this deal in case the hotel back out of it.

Next morning, just as I thought, the front desk staff (the same lady that checked us in the night before) said that she has no idea what we mean. She never said that we can only pay for one suite. Then she picked up the phone ask if we wanted to speak to the manager in Prague. Obvious, we already wasted a whole afternoon trying to fix this, I am not about to waste a whole morning. I told her it was fine, and I didn't need to speak to anyone. I rather have booking.com taking care of it.

After going back and forth with booking.com for about two weeks, the hotel finally agreed to refund me 30 euro and booking.com made up the difference of one suite.

This was a shame because the hotel was pretty nice, and we like the room (other than the fact that it wasn't a suite/or what we had paid for). The breakfast buffet was a combination of hot and cold items, and the servers were nice (and cute!!). The room was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was a good size with all the good amenities and super clean.

We wanted to get some spa treatment but couldn't because by the time we were done calling/talking about the room, and the spa had closed. We also didn't get to see much of the city because it was too dark, and we had to leave early the next morning. We didn't get much of a chance to enjoy the city and must say that it had ruined our impression of the city.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank lingteresa
Reviewed August 7, 2014

We only stayed one night in this hotel due to our plans being changed but were we to visit Marienske Lazne again we would stay here without hesitation. The staff are very friendly and helpful, the room was very cean and comfortable and the location is ideal for visiting the spas and sampling the local cafe culture. We could have parked the car on the street but parking was available under the hotel and cost 10Euro but we considered it worth it because of a problem we had at the time. Breakfast was adequate with some choice but again the staff were friendly even though they didn't speak English - and we never expect it. We sat outside and drank our coffee and went and did some shopping before we had to take our car out of the parking. A really good stay but not long enough.

Room Tip: We had a room at the back which although very quiet was a little dark. Bathroom was good size and very clean.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple