“A week of fine dining in Budapest, and this topped them all.”
Review of Caviar&Bull

Caviar&Bull
Ranked #4 of 3,735 Restaurants in Budapest
Price range: US$57 - US$114
Neighbourhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
Description: The place is a real gem which walks in the footsteps of its Maltese counterpart yet ensures a clear Hungarian imprint in its design as well as in the menu. Local fresh ingredients, sourced from the best suppliers harmoniously coexist with Caviar&Bull signature dishes and key staples of Hungarian cuisine such as the use of the local grey cattle, Mangalica pig, Foie gras, paprika and Tokaj wine.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

A place where modern culinary expertise (molecular balls; nitro; smoking bells) meets classic food: fillet steak, caviar, 24-hour roasted lamb.

We were made to feel very special by the staff, and the food was simply sublime.

The sommelier helped us choose the wine, and boy did he advise well!

Every dish was mouth-watering - next time, we will certainly starve ourselves for they so that we can have the 8-course tasting menu: the next table had this and it looked even more special!

no photos - it just didn't feel right - it felt like we were their guests.

2  Thank AndyIbbs
Write a ReviewReviews (1,110)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We went for the cosmopolitan menu and it was fantastic, so many different flavours and great ways of cooking. Daniel was brilliant and very attentive. Expensive but 100% worth it! Thank you.

1  Thank M9245XOwills
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The food was excellent but the service received was excellent, specially from Antonije! I ordered the degustation menu and it was a great decision. The sommelier suggested a great Hungarian wine.

1  Thank mmadridh
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Food was great, presentation was awesome and service was amazing! :) Thanks everyone for the amazing night!

1  Thank dollysjl
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

After a long weekend away with friends we decided we wanted to end the trip with a nice, high end meal to finish what had been an excellent few days for us.

I’ll just jump straight in with my thoughts on the experience and food. If you don’t have time to read the full review, I suggest you skip to the last paragraph regarding price and summarising the evening.

I’ll start with the up selling. When I requested a bottle of wine I was told both of the cheaper bottles were not in stock, however I was recommended something else and obviously it was more expensive. Once on the table, the waiters were constantly topping up the glass and asking if we would like another bottle. Not only did they do this with the wine, but the water too. We all literally had full glasses of water, yet were asked 3 times if we would like another bottle. The wine glasses were also half full, yet constantly being topped up. Which I can deal with, however...

I ordered a whole lobster for main myself and after 15 minutes of ordering and being told the lobster was 700 grams, I was approached to be told that the lobster was actually 800 grams and would be more expensive. Which after the wine and water trick, it was obvious what was happening. Knowing the food was half way through being cooked, how could I now refuse the pay the extra or request something different?

The starter I had, calamari was ok. Not the best I’ve ever had. The lobster, although looked very appetising, wasn’t very good at all. It literally tasted like a seafood chicken nugget due to the meat being heavily fried. It didn’t come with any sides other than overpowering blobs of sauce which I avoided the best I could. I left around a quarter of the meal, I could’ve easily left 3 quarters but forced myself to eat the food as I knew it was expensive.

My friends had lamb and the other had the lobster, steak and caviar. One friend said the lamb was ok, the other thought the cut of steak wasn’t very good although it was cooked to his liking. He agreed with me about the fried lobster meat. His meal was also supposed to come with a shot of Grey Goose and this never arrived. We didn’t say anything, as after eating he didn’t think he could stomach it anyway. But still, the shot should’ve come with the food as per the menu, considering the Michelin Star prices this place charged.

When the bill came and we all worked out how much we owed, I couldn’t believe it. It worked out for me to have a starter, main, one shared bottle of wine and a beer - £130 with the compulsory tip. Which is the equivalent of 47,800 HUF. This was without a desert and without any sides to the main meal! Considering this is Budapest, is extortionate. Looking back, this is obviously a place that lies about their food and wine to squeeze that extra bit out of you, knowing you’re probably never going to visit again. The trip advisor rating and reviews are fishier than the calamari and lobster I had and the experience left a bad taste in all of our mouths and ultimately, a downer on such a great trip. I felt the food was average at best which is very disappointing considering how promising the reviews were and considering it’s the most expensive food I’ve ever purchased. The music was also very strange - really upbeat dance music... I found myself dancing in my chair, looked around and saw 3 others doing the same. Which let’s be honest, shouldn’t be happening in such a supposedly high class restaurant.

2  Thank Sutherland89