“Poor Hospitality” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #81 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
Belfast
“Poor Hospitality”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

Unfortunately I enjoyed a rather poor stay at the hotel.
I stayed with a group of professional individuals who's roles range from solicitor to company director to accountant. The average age of our party was 32.
We stayed for 3 nights (Fri, Sat & Sun).

Let me begin with the positives:
Free Wifi is superb and the 3 pc's on the ground floor are also very good.
Breakfast was ok.
However the negatives heavily outweigh the positives.
Rooms are small and have a grubby feel. The bathroom toiletries are extremely cheap and not what one expects of a 4 star hotel.
My main issue with the hotel is the lack of service and hospitality displayed by staff.
I felt we were treated like 2nd class citizens throughout our stay which was compounded with the checking out process.
For the record the group were always polite and courteous throughout the visit yet for some reason we felt that the staff looked upon us with distain.
The group almost immediately noticed the staff reaction to us however we all decided to keep our dignity and counsel by respecting the staff as we were visitors to their hotel and to their country.
However upon checking out the hotel decided to charge us for an additional 2 nights for a room that we cancelled.
It was agreed on our arrival that we would pay 1 x night room charge for the cancelled room.
When we were checking out the most rude man I have ever met within the hotel and hospitality industry decided he would go back on the agreement and he decided to charge us for 3 nights and not 1 night for the cancelled room. I take approximately 100 flights per year and check into hotels at least 50 times per year, therefore I am in a good positon to judge hotel staff.
After a fairly calm and gentlemanly exchange the hotel relented and apologised for their error.
We readily accepted the apology and despite feeling a little embarrassed as this exchange took place in the hotel reception area, we decided to leave our luggage with the hotel as we went to get some lunch nearby.
We then returned to the hotel to collect our luggage when another man (I think the manager) confronted me and told me that we had to pay in full for the cancelled stay (3 nights in total).
His colleague who earlier had admitted his mistake stood smuggly beside him.
I then explained that the hotel had already admitted their mistake and the matter was resolved.
The manager was very rude and made some very damming accusations that were certainly deflamatory and grossly inaccurate.
At this point I beleive the hotel were simply looking to rip us off - it's an awful thing to write but this is how we all felt about the hotel who were unwilling to illustrate any evidence of us agreeing to pay for a cancelled room nor did they wish to supply any evidence of a standard cancellation policy.
Please avoid this hotel at all costs. The staff are extremely rude and very unpleasant.
I would avoid Budapest at all costs.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms that end in 01,02, 03 as they are located at the lift and are very very noisy.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank Jolly79

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

I wouldn't call it a 4 star, it's 3 star. The cleaners could be a little more thorough but other than that not much to have an issue with. Concierge generally very helpful. Whilst the location is a quiet one, our room was actually rather noisy, so take earplugs. Breakfast is a plentiful continental buffet. Free wifi was very useful for planning what to see. It's 1 min walk from the Buda side of chain bridge, so very handy location, however, if you want night life, you're better off staying in Pest.

Room Tip: The first floor is a smoking floor. If you don't want to be here, you must specify non smoking...
Helsinki, Finland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

Tiny rooms are in poor condition and dusty. Windows aren't properly isolated, hence street noise can be heard loud and clear. Pillows are more like small blankets. There are problems with electric connections (e.g. using bed side lamp switch makes shower room heater turn on). Poor breakfast: lots of ham and sausage, only few fruit, hard bread, awful coffee. Four star hotels don't have rooms beside lifts! Rooms ending with room number 1 (201, 301 etc). are just beside two very loud lifts. No sleep without earplugs in these rooms. There are seven rooms in so called "Garden Floor" (= basement). They are directly under the breakfast room, which means that steps and sounds of dragging the chairs around can be inconveniently heard beneath.

I wonder how come this hotel can ever claim four stars. I would give it two plus. Pictures of the hotel are very misleading. There are no pics of standard rooms, only suites. The location is good. And there is wifi. Air conditioning seemed to work ok.

Room Tip: Avoid room numbers 201, 301, 401, 501, 601! And 713-> Try to get room from upper floors and court...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Burnley, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

The Carlton is a great hotel with an excellent breakfast and a convenient location. From the Carlton you can walk all over the city of Budapest. It is located near the Chain bridge so is a hop and a jump from all the sites of interest. The free wi fi is a fantastic plus point and we could research where we wanted to visit and what was going on, right where we were, giving us the immediacy to change our travel plans.
The rooms are small but quite adequate, and the storage space is just a wardrobe and 2 tiny bedside drawers, but we managed. First we were offered a garden room on the ground floor which is 2 floors down as the hotel is built on a hill, but I felt it was a bit dark although it was exactly the same fitting out as the room we settled on. There was no problem with the change over from the staff who were at all times helpful and chatty.The Manager and front desk were knowledgeable and always very approachable
Budapest is a fantastic city and we did not encounter anyone who did not speak some English so we had no problems except for on the first day I gave a street vendor up at the citadel a 20,000 forint note worth £54 instead of a 2000 forint note and he did not tell me nor did he give me any change. I went straight back within 5 mins of the transaction but he denied all knowledge. So if you go up to the citadel and an older bulky man wearing a baseball cap with a young blonde woman with long hair assisting him is selling you anything please be aware he is not an honest man.
It was a bad start to the trip but in the end it is only money and I did not want it to spoil my holiday so I had just to grin and bear it. I was mad at myself really. Went to a sung mass at St Stevan's basilica which was very moving. There was a great Easter fair on in the castle for 3 days we were there and lots of folk music and dancing and Hungarian food to eat, which was delicious.
At the foot of the steps at the hotel is a wonderful restaurant called the PATER MARKUS. We found it the first night and the food was so good and reasonably priced and utterly yummy we went there every night for a week and worked our way through the menu. Everything we ate was gorgeous and they stock 50 different Belgian Beers, so we tried different ones each night. Our total food bill for 7 nights eating main course,dessert and drink came to £130.(112 euros) Why go anywhere else. I really recommend this place
The tour of the town hall is worth doing but you must get there to book your tour for later in the day when it opens at 8.00 am. We managed to get on the first English tour at 9.15 and it was free if you showed your British passport. The tour lasts 45 minutes and you get to see the Hungarian Crown Jewels. By 10 am the queue for tickets was very long
We also went to the Ballet at the opera house which had principal dancers from the Bolshoi. It was a spanish ballet Don Quijote. Fantastic. Please see my review on www.theatre-reviews.co.uk also we went to the opera to see La Traviata( review same Place) and we were in a box for that performance. The most expensive tickets are only £34(40 euros) and the performances are worth every penny. You can book online before you go.
Even though we are in our 70s we walked up the road to the castle and it was easy walking as the funicular I'm told is very expensive. Stop off on your way at the top of the hill for a coffee and delicious cream cake if you need to. Funny I needed to every time LOL.
The pass for the red/yellow hop on hop off bus lasts for 2 days and includes a river cruise which we took at 7.00 pm to watch all the floodlights lighting up the riverside buildings. Magical.
Budapest is a great city and it is a place and hotel I would go back to without hesitation

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor if possible
3 Thank quasargal
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

The hotel is centrally situated on Buda side and this makes it perfect for exploring the main sights on foot. The lobby is modern and it looks nice - here it is also the breakfast room. The staff is nice and helpful and there is free wireless all over the hotel, which is an advantage. But the rooms look old and dark and some have those old type of TV-set. Our double room was in fact a twin room with 2 single beds put together and the carpet and the furniture looked a little bit dusty. But, if your main purpose is to explore the city, you don't spend too much time in the room anyway, so if you get a good price for this hotel, as we did, you'll be pleased. The shower gel and the shampoo is very low quality - better bring yours! The breakfast consists in boiled or scrambled eggs, sausages, cheese, ham, yogurt, fresh vegetables, some fresh fruits and some pies, coffee and juice.

Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Ideal location for those who like the quieter atmosphere in Buda, but want to be walking distance to major sights in Pest. Priced well for it's range, the rooms are tasteful and adequate size. Breakfast is ample for a continental spread and included eggs and sausage as well as some cakes and the usual meats, yogurt, etc, although with the amount of meat one eats at other meals in Budapest, a light breakfast was preferable! Breakfast room is light and spacious. My partner found the beds too firm, and the toiletries are more budget hotel-like, but the free wifi was easy to use and front desk staff were helpful and sell tickets to the baths and other attractions and tours.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lesstravelwkids
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

The Carlton is a nice hotel on the Buda side of the city just beneath Castle Hill. I was pleased with the location. There is also a very good restaurant just next door.

The front desk staff were very friendly, but not incredibly helpful. For example, I phoned them the morning I was getting into Budapest to see if they could get me tickets to the opera for that evening. The concierge told me there was a spring festival going on and that it would be impossible to get tickets. He didn't even offer to call. I arrived in Budapest and called the opera house myself. There were plenty of tickets available. While I was at the opera that evening, I saw many vacant seats very close to the stage.

The room I had was small, with a single bed that was a bit lumpy. Very clean, but small enough that I had a hard time moving around my things. The bathroom was clean, but tiny as well. I liked the shower. The shampoo and soap both smelled like petroleum and I was glad that I brought my own toiletries. I didn't have a view, but I appreciated that I had many electrical outlets so I could charge my laptop and my phone.

Breakfast was generous, with meats, cheeses, eggs, cereals, bread, coffee, juice, etc.

The guys running the bar at night were very sweet...they let me have a glass of milk every evening.

I enjoyed the Carlton and I would stay there again. But I either skype places to find out more information things or I go speak to concierges at the much swankier hotels.

Room Tip: The hotel itself was nice. Just be careful about the info given by the concierge. You might miss o...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo