“Good value in a nice location with friendly staff”

Hotel Molnar Budapest
Ranked #116 of 196 Budapest B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 December 2014

The hotel's in the Buda hills but easy to get to, go to Ujbuda Kozpont (M4 or tram 4) then bus 53 and it's down the road opposite the bus stop. Check-in is usually 3pm, but I arrived early and 2pm check-in was fine (check-out is ~11am). Helpful receptionist showed me to my room in the second building.

The second building had no lift but for me it was just one flight of stairs.

Room was immaculate, warm, had an air-conditioning unit which would be useful in summer. Double bed was comfortable, two types of pillow, instead of a duvet it was just a duvet cover with some thin blanket in it. There were two spare warm blankets in the cupboard, which I definitely needed! There was a mini bar, not expensive, but I didn't use it. There was a small TV with international channels including English and German (e.g. BBC).There was a balcony which would be nice in summer, maybe a higher floor would have a better view of Budapest because my view was mainly of the buildings opposite. The bathroom was nice, most of it very modern, it had a shower not bath and the shampoo and soap were in dispensers not individual bottles which I didn't mind. It had very high water pressure and the hot water was very hot. Only issue was the plumbing was quite noisy, you could hear when a tap or shower was being used in the next room.

Breakfast was fine, a selection of hams/salamis, pastries, bread, jam that looked home-made, two types of juice (one was orange, I think the other was grapefruit), a selection of teas, hard boiled eggs, salad.

I only had dinner there one night, I had the fish soup (served nicely, see photo), cinnamon pancakes, and the lemonade. All fresh and all very good quality. When I booked they had an offer of 15% off meals in the restaurant, if you book a room on their own website.

Check-out was 11am and my coach to London (yes, coach!) was 3.30pm so they stored my suitcase for me in a secure room for free while I spent my final few hours in Budapest.

Room Tip: The second building, not the one with reception, seems nicer. My photos are of room 18 in the second...
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 12 December 2014

Very nice and calm hotel with very lazy and not very friendly staff!!! Not all the receptionists speak English properly well! On the ceiling lamp there was a huge layer of dust and only in tree days it was at last cleaned! One of us had a birthday party while staying and nevertheless we said it at the reception in advance - nobody of the staff even said Happy birthday not saying about piece of cake! Wi-Fi was not good at all! And in one of the evenings disappeared at all till morning! Everything would be great if the hotel staff was a little bit professional one!!!
Warm smile always helps!!!

Room Tip: Tripple room is too small for three adults in it!!!
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 8 December 2014

Please far avoid this hotel in Budapest! We stayed for two nights in a apartment, which consisted of two double room and one bathroom. The rooms furniture are from the 70’s , the bath room is poor! The heating system is not controllable, the children needed two extra blankets to survive the nights. There isn’t sound-proofing between the rooms, the old toilet system keeps the guests awake, so you will know and hear if a somebody has something to do the bathroom, even during the nights! The hotel doesn’t have elevator, the old steel spiral staircase is noisy and unconfortable.
The only acceptable service is the restaurant, in which the breakfast is ok, the menu varied and the food is average but expensive! The service is good, but above half-house you will need to wait to much!

Tibor from Hungary

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tibor G
Reviewed 18 October 2014

Nice, familiar hotel in a quiet neghboorhood. We´ve got a big room for three people and a big terracce. Around the hotel is a beautiful garden. The hotel is a little bit far from the center, but there is a bus stop near it. You can reach the city center by bus and underground number 4 from Kelenföld Railway Station. The staff is friendly and helpful. We liked the stay here.

Reviewed 8 October 2014

a nice little hotel located in the hilly part of Buda, in a very nice surroundings, indeed. The double bedroom with a spare bed was a bit small for three people but as we stayed for two nights only so it was tolerable. It had also a little balcony from where you got a splendid view of the city. The breakfast was fine although the staff had always to refill the items as there was a quite small buffet table. There is also a good connection to the city centre by public transport.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 September 2014

We've stayed at Molnar Hotel for one night in august 2014 (my wife, my 4 and half year old daughter and I).

We traveled by car and that was a good idea since the hotel is quite far from the city center that we intended to visit. For those who travel by other means of transportation, I understood that there is a good bus connection to the center.

Anyway, the "disadvantage" of distance from the center is well compensated by the spectacular landscape view over Budapest and the clean, mountain-like air as there is almost no traffic in the area.

The hotel has two buildings, we were hosted in the secondary one, about ten meters from the main building with the reception and the restaurant, but we found no disadvantage in that.

The parking is across the street, you must give your licence plates number when checking-in so they can watch your car ar night. (camera surveilance).

The room was clean with a large balcony but rather 2 stars on any indulgent standards with old furniture, but the beds are extremely confortable.

The staff speaks Englsh quite well and are all kind and ... as they should be.

The breakfast is nice and elegant, any European from the mainland should have no complains, I guess.

One minor incident we had, the hotel's coffee machine was broken and for getting a coffee you have to take the bus two stations downhill or drive for about 2 km. It's a "high class" residential area and you won't find any shops or pubs on a 2 km circular range.

Overall, we had a pleasant and relaxing stay.

1  Thank gmaftei
Reviewed 8 August 2014

The hotel is in a beautiful green leafy residential area. We came straight from the main station where we bought a very cheap family transport pass that lasts 24 hours from the moment you use it and is necessary for this hotel as you need to take two (very frequent) buses to get there. We took the No 8 bus from the station (it becomes the 8a after 11 o`clock) to the area where the hotel is situated (the hotel is indicated along the route and is known in the area). Then we got the 53 (the stop is on your left) up the hill for 3 stops, where the bus finishes,
Our triple room was clean, homely and had a big terrace and tv. The staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast was good value (the omellette is free if you ask for it). The showere was slightly broken but was probably a temporary blip. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a terrace if you are going to use it
Review collected in partnership with this hotel