“Perfect launching point for budapest” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Corinthia Hotel Budapest

Corinthia Hotel Budapest
Ranked #15 of 340 Hotels in Budapest
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Perfect launching point for budapest”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

I booked this hotel as a surprise for my girlfriends 30th birthday based on the many reviews on trip advisor. I think most people when going to a river based city are urged to book hotels directly on the river but please reconsider, this hotel by comparison is good value, grand and beautiful both outside and inside.
My experience of the hotel was on arrival being upgraded to a junior suite, this was located on the second floor at the front of the hotel. There was sparkling wine and fruit for us both to unwind with which was lovely, the check in staff were very helpful and courteous.
I cannot recall the name of the belboy who helped us with out bags but he explained the history of the hotel as we were taken to our room, he along with all the staff we encountered were helpful, welcoming and made a good experience great. There grasp of english was also fantastic and should not be a concern for any english travellers, in addition many staff carry badges with the additional languages spoken by them. I observed German and russian being routinely spoken but I would imagine many more.
The room was large with a front located bedroom with balcony to the road outside, a long corridor with a full dressing area a bathroom and second toilet. We also had a large lounge area at the rear for comfortable seating. The room was clean and tidy with everything we would need along with a turn down service every evening.
My only complaint would be that the heating aspect of the aircon didnt seem to do much and on occasion the room felt chilly to my girlfriend, the room is very large though with high ceilings which may be a factor. Another aspect that may put people off is that the front rooms looking out onto the road are noisey with traffic/trams emergency vehicles etc. The first night we struggled initially to sleep but after all the walking etc we slept perfectly after that and did not notice outside for the rest of the trip. If you are a light sleeper perhaps asking for a rear or internal room would be better.
The hotel also has an exective area which can be accessed by the lifts or stairs, I cannot comment on this as we did not use it.
The hotel has a spar within it premises which we did have access to and consists of a pool, steam room, sauna rooms and two jacuzzis. Staff are on hand for any additional treatments but these are paid for. This area was fantastic and was the perfect way to relax and unwind after lots of sight seeing, you are given robes and slippers to wear from you room to this facility which is nice, seek out the lift on the north side of the hotel to access this without walking through the lobby.
This hotel has several eateries and a bar the only one of which we used was the breakfast room every morning for convienience. We paid for the breakfast deal every morning which gave a buffet experience. The food in my opinion was great with a large selection of options along with coffee's, teas etc. Get there early and you can eat in the open foyer area with vaulted ceilings and wonderful airy feeling, you can see out the glass atrium all the way to the 5th floor.
The cost of food & drink at the hotel will probably be more than you would expect, in my opinion it is expensive as you can find everything locally or with a bit of searching in the city for significantly less money. What i would say is the prices are expensive for Budapest but are no more than what we pay at home, if you want convienience then my experience of food and drink at breakfast time were good and worth the money. If you are on a budget then cheaper options can be easily found.
Some people have complained about the location, please dont be concerned about this. The hotel is not on the river but is still in a convienient location for those who enjoy walking as it is in a more central location, about 15 minutes to the river front or the same if you head to maybe hero square or the shopping centre. If walking is not your thing or perhaps you are feeling less dextrous there are very good tram service's from the front of the hotel which with a map will get you all over the city with ease, also a short walk to the Ocktogon Metro (about 4 mins) will get you access to the metro system which again is quick and clean for getting all over the city.
Dont be concerned about language barriers outside of the hotel either, we had none at all and used the tram and metro routinely. We brought a 24 hour ticket one day (1550huf) from the Ocktogon Metro which was useful and allowed use for that period on trams and metro and buses with out restriction, in retrospect i would purchase a 72 hour ticket about (3500 huf) and use the public system throughout as its clean and very convienient. Having these pases also means you only get it stamped by the seller and dont have to worry about stamping when boarding anything.
Individual tickets require stamping in the oragne/red boxes at stations and on trams when you board, if you dont there is a fine if you are stopped.

All in all our trip was fantastic and made only better by this wonderful hotel. Some people will always find things to complain about but from my experience as a fairly seasoned traveller the problems are insignificant compared to the benefits of this hotel.

Book it, stay here and enjoy.

We certainly did and will return if we go back to Budapest.

Room Tip: If you want a quieter night avoid the front rooms of the hotel
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Trev79
SzabolcsSz, Manager at Corinthia Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Thank you for having taken the time to share your experiences about your recent stay at the Corinthia Hotel Budapest. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and your girlfriend had a great birthday here. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Corinthia in the future.
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,053)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

The Grand Hotel is still GRAND! Excellent service and very accomadating.
Well done by keeping up the the high standards & look forward to coming again soon.

Room Tip: All rooms are good but if you can afford go for the Executive Rooms with all the perks included.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for choosing Corinthia Hotel Budapest again. I am happy to read you were satisfied again with ou staff and services. I truly hope we will have the pleasure of seeing you back soon .
cumbria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

This hotel impressed from the moment of our arrival the lobby is very impressive the rooms smart and the breakfast one of the best we have had with enough choice for everyone.
The spa was lovely.The staff were very efficient and helpful, they could not do enough for you.
The position of the hotel was great, most of the restaurants and nightlife appeared to be on this side of the river and very central for sightseeing
Would definitely stay here again

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank ollypolly
SzabolcsSz, Manager at Corinthia Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
My sincerest thanks for your review of the Corinthia Hotel Budapest. I am glad to read that you were impressed by our hotel. Thank you for your recommendation and the nice words. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future. Kindest regards,
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012 via mobile

My friends took me to this hotel as a birthday surprise. And it was just that!
Excellent hotel. We stayed in a 2 bed apartment and it was great! We had everything we needed, from 2 bathrooms, to a coffee pot and dish washer.
Staff are very friendly and took us personally to our room.
Excellent spa!
Prime location - a couple of minutes to the main strip with restaurants and a good bar 2 doors down from hotel.
One thing did very slightly disappoint me: the consierge was not very helpful.
I would definitely recommend this hotel and I would stay again!

Stayed February 2012
2 Thank IanD10
I am really pleased to read that you had a great birthday at the Corinthia Hotel Budapest's Royal Residences. Many thanks for the kind words about our hotel and the Royal Spa. I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

We had an apartment in the royal corinthia residence. Everything was perfect! We had a very nice time and we also went to the hotel's spa which is also very beautiful. The rooms were very spacious and clean, like the bathrooms as well. This place is maybe valued 5 stars in hungary, but i doubt that in uk, france, usa (etc) it would be valued the same! Concierge, chauffeurs and waiters services were perfect.
Unlike the other 5stars hotels or palaces of budapest, corinthia is not located at the same place. It would be certainly better to start a city's visit from the its center, like deak ter or ferenc ter.

Luckily the hotel was a very plus in our trip. Be careful! At night, lots of people try to rip you off and to bring to strip clubs or brothels... We were so annoyed by this common behaviour that litlle by little, you don't really trust people on the streets...which is quite bad when you visit a city and need informations...

Room Tip: take a room instead of an apartment!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for posting your comments about your recent stay. I am delighted to read that you were satisfied with our staff. We are sorry about the inconveniences what you had experienced within the city. I do hope to welcome you back in the near future with a better experience in Budapest.
Newbury
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

I can see why this hotel is the "Grand Dame" of Budapest, this hotel is amazing and with loads of character. Right from the check-in staff and the bell boys, the restaurant staff and particularly the Conceirge staff, the best stay possible is guranteed. We had an executive room which was perfect, but I must add that facing the main street with the window open, you could feel like you are in the middle of a "Star Wars" movie, even at 4.15 in the morning! The hotel is rather warm, especially in your bedroom, and the A/C is not powerful enough for the high ceilings of your bedroom, but you can cope with it for a few nights in the winter months! Everything in the hotel is immaculate, with fantastic restaurants, and the best breakfast in the Atrium you could possibly have. On the doorstep is the Metro, the Hop-On tourist bus, and some of the best restaurants you can eat in. Who knew that Hungary would be a haven for foodies and great wine? The spa at the end of everyday is fabulous, which gives you the chill out time you need at the end of the day, in luxurious surroundings. I will recommend all of my customers to stay here when in Budapest, and I hope to return myself one day..................

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelagentLynn666
SzabolcsSz, Manager at Corinthia Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
I am truly delighted to know that you had a nice stay at the Corinthia Hotel Budapest. This kind of reviews give us always a new inspiration to do all of our bests for our guests. Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back in Budapest soon.
Bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

The Corinthia hotel is the best hotel we've ever stayed in by far. I booked it as a surprise for my husband's 30th birthday and we were made to feel so special. We turned up and the surprise for us both was that we'd been upgraded to a deluxe suite, not only that but the hotel has provided a bowl of fruit, some chocolates and a birthday message for my husband on the table when we walked in. A hotel really doesn't need to do those things but it was a great start to our trip! I also ordered a bottle of hungarian sparking wine and cake and would recommend the cake to anyone!

The suite was huge and beautifully decorated in dark wood with two bathrooms, a dressing area and living room. We also had fantastic views and it felt relaxing and quiet (although some street noise.) The hotel itself was similarly well presented and we had a fantastic morning in the spa on Saturday. The photos on the website don't do it justice and the jacuzzi was brilliant.

We didn't have any spa treatments or eat in the hotel except a room service breakfast on the last day but we did have a good cocktail in the bar which was a nice place to sit. We found the staff to be very helpful, friendly and polite..especially on arrival, what a welcome! Thanks!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ThomasMFischer, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Thank you very much for your positive review. I am really pleased to read that you have a great stay with us and had a wonderful birthday celebration here. I truly hope we will have the pleasure of seeing you back soon.
Thomas M Fischer