“City Break Budapest”

Gold Hotel Wine & Dine
Ranked #120 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

Lovely little hotel on the Buda side in Sterdam
about 20/25 min walk into the town. staff very friendly and helpful. Nice restaurant in the hotel with good prices. But not very easy to get access into the town it is quicker to walk. When coming from town it is easier to come back by taxi

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Stampy1957

Reviewed 3 October 2017

Positives:

+Staff were all incredibly friendly, all spoke perfect English, couldnt do enough to be helpful
+Room was clean and perfectly nicely decorated
+Price was ok
+ I ate once in the restaurant. Service was very quick and friendly. To be honest the food wasnt to my taste, but that isnt necessarily a criticism...

Negatives

- Was quite noisy as right off a main road and the double glazing wasnt great
- Its a little bit (about a mile) out of city centre and not in a particularly lively area. But taxi's arent that expensive and it also was on a bus route that went into town

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Adam D
Reviewed 1 October 2017

I booked the hotel for two nights with my cousin. Our experience with the hotel receptionist was very bad.We arrived early at 11.30 & tired.Asked if the room is ready so that we can leave our bags but was dismissive and told us its not ready.Told him I made the booking more than a month ago but only greeted with "It doesnt matter, the room is not cleaned. You have to come back at check in time which is 2pm".I asked politely when is the earliest possible time the room could be ready.He said "Idont know, cleaners are not available at this time".Eighter you wait in the lobby, come back later on or go to the restaurant to wait. He wasnt welcoming & friendly at all! Not A good impression but I let it pass. While we were dining in the restaurant, the same receptionist passed our table swiftly & told us the room is ready. No eye contact. When we reach the room door, our swipe was not working.My cousin have to go down to inform the receptionist of which he replied "maybe you dont know how to use it properly"-which I think is so rude. No words uttered, He came up and true enough its not working. No apology given. The swipe thing happened twice in separate occassions.When we checked out, we left our 2 bags and 1 small bag (with sausages, cheese and souvenirs).The same receptionist, very cold and not engaging, just took our bags without giving us instructions on how to claim it. Again, I made no fuss and just get on with our planned activity.When came back to collect the bags, the small bag with souvenirs was missing.Apparently the hotel owner mistakingly took the bag home! Again, he made a rude remark that we shouldve packed our stuff altogether! I never encountered such a bad reception and I travelled all the time.We have to wait for almost 45mins for the bag. He even made a remark that anyway we have plenty of time to wait since our train is for 6.30pm! How rude. I asked him to book us a cab as we are running late for our next appointment. He said it only cost less than <20euros for a cab to the train station anyways. He ddnt even offer to compensate for the cab fare for the time we wasted!. I dont usually make complaints but this one has to be the most unpleasant, unprofessional staff I encountered. It really spoilt our memorable trip to Budapest.Not Impressed.Other than that, the hotel was clean but room needs updating, wifi is good & breakfast average. Location is a bit hilly to walk to and is a bit distant to city center. The AC is temperamental.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 September 2017 via mobile

Stayed here with my 22 year old daughter for a city break. The hotel is lovely. Just as described. A 10 minute walk to the Pest side where all the shops and bars are. We downloaded the City Taxis app which was a really useful tool. The food was OK pretty much as you would expect from a European country. We managed to get something good to eat every morning. My only disappointment was that the staff weren't particularly cheerful or helpful. There is nothing in the room by way of tourist information regarding transport,local amenities etc. All of which you would expect from a city hotel.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank ClaireKgh
Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

This hotel met my expectations. The rooms are fine and have everything you need, the staff is friendly and the breakfast is good. The only issue I had was that the room was quite warm and despite the aircon we could not get it to cool below 24 Celsius, which for me is too warm to sleep in.

The location is good with quick access to some of the sights in downtown Budapest and we mostly walked everywhere

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nadine H
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

I spent 5 days in this charming little hotel this summer. Breakfast is excellent with plenty of choices. Room is nice and comfortable with minibar and clean bathroom. Air conditioning and free wi-fi are perfekt. I will return.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 July 2017

We booked this hotel to use as a base for a 5 day trip to Budapest, out first ever visit to Hungary. We were influenced to choose it based on TripAdvisor reviews and it proved to be a wise choice.

The hotel is situated on the Buda side of the Danube, on the road that leads from the Pest city centre over the Elizabeth Bridge. The road itself is very busy but traffic noise did not intrude into our room, so long as you kept the windows closed! Fortunately rooms have efficient air conditioning and double-glazing so having the windows open was not necessary.

You can walk from the Pest side to the hotel in around 20 minutes but I would recommend that you walk through the park below the Citadel rather than alongside the road itself. It is far more pleasant than breathing in the fumes! Buses run frequently to the city centre and other touristy places. I strongly suggest *not* buying a day pass for the Hop On Hop Off tourist buses: we found them unreliable, infrequent and often ending early. Buy instead a day pass for all city transport and learn the bus and tram routes.

We got a very warm welcome on arrival and soon were in our room on the third floor. There is a lift that serves all the floors, including the restaurant in the basement.

Very well maintained and decorated, clean and very comfortable, We would have liked more places to store our clothes and some drawers by the bed would have been nice as well. If there was one specific criticism it was that no safe in provided in the room for your valuables.

There are plenty of electrical sockets of the standard European design so no problem charging all your computers, tablets and smartphones.

The bed was very large and provided with two single duvets, so no problem with your partner stealing all the bedclothes. We had a good undisturbed night's sleep throughout our stay.

The bathroom had a walk-in quadrant corner shower but no bath. The only problem we found was that the doors did not close in line with the frame of the enclosure and so water from the shower spray bounced out under the door, leaving a pool of water on the bathroom floor! Otherwise, the bathroom was well equipped and very clean. The only other problem was that the water outlet on the basin was controlled by a sensor that detected the presence of your hands under the spout. It was either full on or completely off!

We were booked in for Bed and Breakfast but we did have a couple of meals in the evening when the weather wasn't good enough to venture out. The breakfasts were buffet style with a good range of choice although the one let down was the quality of the orange juice. On occasion it was more like squash!

The evening meals, however, were very enjoyable and with a good range of selection, both of dishes and wines. All in all they were also reasonably priced.

The hotel is within walking distance of two tourist sites: the Citadel and Buda Castle. Both are around 20 minutes walk away. It is even feasible to walk to and from the city centre on the Pest side of the river so, as a base for a visit it meets the mark.

We very much enjoyed our stay and would return without hesitation should we ever decide to visit Budapest again.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple