“Good Location and Not Too Bad”

Gold Hotel Wine & Dine
Ranked #105 of 337 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 16 October 2017

Everything started fine here, we arrived at a reasonable time in the afternoon which meant we could get a parking space. From that point on it is most definitely first come, first served and it can get a little silly with people parking in crazy places within the gated area. When we arrived at reception we found they did not accept Maestro card despite comments to the contrary on our booking website; you can pay by Visa or MasterCard but with a 5% charge. To be fair the receptionist did encourage us to pay cash for that very reason but remember any withdrawal charges and the currency exchange rates before you do this from the hole in the wall (available on the opposite side of the road). We had a room right on the corner of the hotel and cannot complain about the cleanliness throughout our stay, it was excellent; the bed was also very nice and comfortable. We even had an accident where a glass was broken; the staff were there within minutes with dustpan, brush etc.
The bathroom provided some challenges to the weary traveler with nowhere to put your own shampoo or shower gel within the shower cubicle (if you didn't want to use their provided items). The cubicle itself was of a fancy modern-type with closing doors over a lip, unfortunately no matter how careful you were it leaked like a sieve necessitating towels on the floor to soak everything up. Finally there was a sensor tap, rather than a conventional one in the basin - this was extremely annoying as it kept switching itself off every time you wanted to use the sink with a flow of water.
The amount of windows in the room also had good and bad points; Good = plenty of light and extremely well fitted; the road noise was completely negated. Bad = the curtains were poorly fitted, next to useless and let in far too much light, this required much modification and support by anything we could find and press into service. Wi-Fi was fine and reliable throughout our stay. Other things that could be improved here include the utilities available, for example there are no tea/coffee making facilities or even a safe available within the room – in fact there was a charge of €3 a day just to use a safe. Let us go a little further . . there was a sheet by the door amply illustrating what charges applied for, well, just about everything really (maybe a little bit much).
At the end of our first day, and as we were tired, we decided to have our dinner at the hotel restaurant which was a bit of a mistake on two counts. Firstly the food (Italian) itself was average, nothing more and secondly the relaxing ‘ambience style’ music was not exactly relaxing being more of an irritating and repetitive thump. Breakfast was a little better with both hot and cold continental choices being available. The Citadel is worth the 20-25 minute walk up the hill from the hotel for great views over the city and river.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

Lovely little hotel on the Buda side in Sterdam
about 20/25 min walk into the town. staff very friendly and helpful. Nice restaurant in the hotel with good prices. But not very easy to get access into the town it is quicker to walk. When coming from town it is easier to come back by taxi

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Stampy1957
Reviewed 3 October 2017

+Staff were all incredibly friendly, all spoke perfect English, couldnt do enough to be helpful
+Room was clean and perfectly nicely decorated
+Price was ok
+ I ate once in the restaurant. Service was very quick and friendly. To be honest the food wasnt to my taste, but that isnt necessarily a criticism...

- Was quite noisy as right off a main road and the double glazing wasnt great
- Its a little bit (about a mile) out of city centre and not in a particularly lively area. But taxi's arent that expensive and it also was on a bus route that went into town

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Adam D
Reviewed 1 October 2017

I booked the hotel for two nights with my cousin. Our experience with the hotel receptionist was very bad.We arrived early at 11.30 & tired.Asked if the room is ready so that we can leave our bags but was dismissive and told us its not ready.Told him I made the booking more than a month ago but only greeted with "It doesnt matter, the room is not cleaned. You have to come back at check in time which is 2pm".I asked politely when is the earliest possible time the room could be ready.He said "Idont know, cleaners are not available at this time".Eighter you wait in the lobby, come back later on or go to the restaurant to wait. He wasnt welcoming & friendly at all! Not A good impression but I let it pass. While we were dining in the restaurant, the same receptionist passed our table swiftly & told us the room is ready. No eye contact. When we reach the room door, our swipe was not working.My cousin have to go down to inform the receptionist of which he replied "maybe you dont know how to use it properly"-which I think is so rude. No words uttered, He came up and true enough its not working. No apology given. The swipe thing happened twice in separate occassions.When we checked out, we left our 2 bags and 1 small bag (with sausages, cheese and souvenirs).The same receptionist, very cold and not engaging, just took our bags without giving us instructions on how to claim it. Again, I made no fuss and just get on with our planned activity.When came back to collect the bags, the small bag with souvenirs was missing.Apparently the hotel owner mistakingly took the bag home! Again, he made a rude remark that we shouldve packed our stuff altogether! I never encountered such a bad reception and I travelled all the time.We have to wait for almost 45mins for the bag. He even made a remark that anyway we have plenty of time to wait since our train is for 6.30pm! How rude. I asked him to book us a cab as we are running late for our next appointment. He said it only cost less than <20euros for a cab to the train station anyways. He ddnt even offer to compensate for the cab fare for the time we wasted!. I dont usually make complaints but this one has to be the most unpleasant, unprofessional staff I encountered. It really spoilt our memorable trip to Budapest.Not Impressed.Other than that, the hotel was clean but room needs updating, wifi is good & breakfast average. Location is a bit hilly to walk to and is a bit distant to city center. The AC is temperamental.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 September 2017 via mobile

Stayed here with my 22 year old daughter for a city break. The hotel is lovely. Just as described. A 10 minute walk to the Pest side where all the shops and bars are. We downloaded the City Taxis app which was a really useful tool. The food was OK pretty much as you would expect from a European country. We managed to get something good to eat every morning. My only disappointment was that the staff weren't particularly cheerful or helpful. There is nothing in the room by way of tourist information regarding transport,local amenities etc. All of which you would expect from a city hotel.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank ClaireKgh
Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

This hotel met my expectations. The rooms are fine and have everything you need, the staff is friendly and the breakfast is good. The only issue I had was that the room was quite warm and despite the aircon we could not get it to cool below 24 Celsius, which for me is too warm to sleep in.

The location is good with quick access to some of the sights in downtown Budapest and we mostly walked everywhere

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nadine H
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

I spent 5 days in this charming little hotel this summer. Breakfast is excellent with plenty of choices. Room is nice and comfortable with minibar and clean bathroom. Air conditioning and free wi-fi are perfekt. I will return.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business