“For this money it was OK” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rila Hotel

Rila Hotel
Ranked #258 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
London, United Kingdom
“For this money it was OK”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2011

We were looking for a cheap hotel with a good location. The underground was ca. 6 min., so not as bad and we got into town within 20 min.
The staff was friendly and helpful. We bought our spa ticket with a massage at the reception, they arranged us everything...
I may return with my boyfreind next year.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
Northampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2009

I stayed in the hotel with a friend and we were both quite let down. What the website neglected to mention was that the hotel is about a 45 minute walk from the city centre - and it was only on the second day that we discovered there was an underground station to the centre about ten minutes walk in the opposite direction.

The hotel itself is small and understated, and though we booked well in advance, we were left with a "box room". On top of this, despite booking a Twin Room, we were placed in a room with a double bed and single blankets. The bed took up a good deal of the space in the room and the ensuite seemed bigger than the room itself. The sink did not come with a plug and when we enquired where the hairdryer was, the unhelpful (and often miserable) hotel staff informed us that it was "in a guest's room". We had one hairdryer to share with the rest of the hotel.

Room service came and emptied the bathroom bin every day, but the bedsheets were only changed every third day. The buffet breakfast consisted of one big bowl of cornflakes, a vat of coffee, some yoghurt pots and some bread with sliced meat.

Overall we found that while it was hilarious, and we became fond of the little box room, the money that we saved on accomodation was later spent on transport to the city and getting breakfast away from the hotel. I would reccomend that anyone wanting to stay here should just opt to stay in the city centre instead as the costs will even out eventually!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Budapest hotels

S J Campos
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2009

I almost visited all parts of the world, but I never see a breakfast as poor and bad as the breeakfast of Rila Hotel. With the rate of the room, Rila Hotel could offer something better. And the bed linen are handled without protection. The laundry company was bringing the bed linen and towels without packaging and they put them on the sofa at the reception.

Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2009

After reading the reviews I wasn't expecting much, but then what can you expect for the price?

The breakfast wasn't that good, but it was enough to get you through to lunch. Avoid the eggs though, I think as much grease as egg went into that tray.

The rooms are exactly as pictured, small but who spends time in the room anyway? The location was out of town, but the underground rail is only a couple of blocks away so that didn't matter.

The little restaurant to the side was good - the first time. After that no matter what you ordered it ended up being almost the same thing - pork snitzel (sp?) with fries. My Dad loved it! Oh, the beer is cheap too.

Overall, if I went back I'd probably try somewhere else just for the sake of something new, but for a first trip to the city you could do much worse.

• Stayed July 2008
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2008

We found the hotel on a website. We were looking for a cheap hotel and found one.

Some bad points: Rooms were small, beds were not to comfortable (one broke on my friends ha), bit of a trek to city centre.

Good points: What do you expect when you pay £100 for a week? Definately not the hilton I'll tell you that one. The hotel was a place where we passed out after a long night of boozing and where we woke up, hungover, got ready and went into the city. It depends what type of person you are. We were all young and wanting to party and not too fussed where we landed as long as it was shelter.

You get what you pay for.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — The location
  • Stayed December 2007
1 Thank mags87
Zuid Holland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2008

When we first entered the room (or should I say cell?), we we very surprised to find only one small curtain for a window that was twice as wide. We had to have people come to our room twice before they had it fixed. Then there was a horrible breakfast (once with undrinkable coffee, once with no coffee at all), a laundry service that took three days to get our clothes back: all wet!!!! The worst thing however, was that when things go wrong with either laundy, breakfast or curtains, the people in the hotel should be so polite to notify their guests and apologize: that was the most important thing we missed: hospitality.

• Disliked — the unhelpful staff
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2008

I stayed for five nights, 7-12 February 2008. The photos left by franci_kiki were identical to the room I stayed in, the bathroom was cleanish but attention to detail was required! Good strong shower with lots of water. There was a fair amount of dust and lint beneath the bed and the mattress springs created lumps. Very thin shortish duvets and lumpy pillows. You might have trouble sleeping. To be fair I didn't. Walls were paper thin, every word spoken in the adjoining room could be heard on my first night, if they had a television the noise would have been unbearable . Traffic noise from the adjacent main road was a consistent hum (I always travel with earplugs, to be recommended). My streetside room was very, very warm at night and I turned the radiator off and slept well with the window slightly ajar despite it being freezing outside. Breakfast supplied was scrambled eggs, processed meat (spam), bread, marmalade, honey, jam, cereal, milk, tea (lukewarm), coffee (lukewarm and the most strange taste I have ever experienced). For the rest of my five day stay scrambled eggs disappeared off the menu, but the coffee was hot on days 3, 4 and 5 - same quality though. I eventually I figured out that no eggs were provided as there were few guests, it may not have been worth their bother. On these days only two tables with 2 place settings were laid and I arrived shortly after 7am when breakfast began. Having said all this the staff were polite and smiled but didn't make any effort to engage although reception was helpful when asked. I would only recommend Hotel Rila if you can adapt to the shortcomings. Otherwise find somewhere better, I will if I ever return to Budapest.

• Liked — Plentiful hot water.
  • Disliked — Could do with better cleaning/mattress/sleeping linen/soundproofing
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled solo