“we all enjoyed our stay”
Review of City Hotel Unio

City Hotel Unio
Ranked #213 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Spent four nights at the Unio with a group of friends while going to the grand prix last weekend and chose the Unio for it's location and value for money. A five minute walk to the Metro or a couple of minutes to the tram or trolleybus stop. The rooms were a decent size nice and clean with old fashioned but pleasing furniture adding to the character of the hotel.Likewise reception, lounge and dining room all have old wood fitments.
The breakfast was acceptable but not memorable, being let down by tepid strange tasting coffee.
Service was generally good , staff friendly and at reception spoke good English. The only item that I reported - a blown lightbulb in the bathroom didn't get replaced by the time we checked out, a minor irritant when having a shave. Overall our group were all satisfied with the Unio and would stay there again if we got another good deal.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank CatmanLondon
There are newer reviews for City Hotel Unio

Reviewed 30 July 2011

We enjoyed our stay at Hotel Unio on the whole. The location is very good - we walked everywhere - it's pretty close to the main railway station and metro... The room was large, with a lovely high ceiling, and a bath. The bed was very comfortable and, on the whole, the area seems pretty quiet, so we were able to get a good night's rest when we needed it! I'd say the 3 star rating is accurate. The breakfast buffet was fairly standard fare (sausages, cheeses, breads, eggs, cereals, yoghurt, coffee/ tea, etc), but very reasonable considering the price we paid. Staff seemed pleasant, and proved helpful when needed. I suppose some might complain that the room's fittings aren't ultra modern, but we didn't come to Budapest to watch TV on an HD flatscreen, so it really didn't bother us. The place has character :)

Room Tip: We asked for a room with a bath, and were provided with a room with a bath.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tomthomb
Reviewed 24 June 2011

We stayed in the Hotel Unio for 5 nights and got a really good deal. The location is excellent being only a 2 min walk to the nearest tram stop and an easy walk to the really good restaurants in Listz Ferenc Ter (really buzzing vibe and around 10 restaurants either side of a garden/park with outside seating). The hotel has a definite "Eastern European" feel to it (though the Hungarians preferred to be thought of as "Central" rather than "Eastern"!). It is quite dated and the rooms are basic. The photos show nice looking bathrooms but ths is mainly due to the tiles! The showers are really basic with small, plastic cubicles. Our's had a 3/4" hole near the bottom of a panel and the water escaped onto the floor. We reported this on the first day but it was never repaired, I would have done it myself if I had some silicone sealant! it was very hot during our trip, with an avergae temp of 31C rising to 36C on one day. There is an Aircon control panel on the wall but even on full blast, the temp never dropped below 27C during the night! I complained every day, first being told that it would be turned on the next day then that the engineer had not turned up and would not come at the weekend. In the end, I got a 10% discount on the original price and two sheets instead of the quilts! Going by other reviews, I strongly suspect that the hotel actually only has a central ventilaiton system with no aircon units. Our room faced a "courtyard" i.e. the middle of the building with residential apartments on each side. This enable us to keep the windows open without getting the noise from the street. The TV only had Hungarian, German and Russian speaking channels, no big deal as we were hardly in but it would be nice to have one English speaking channel for the news. The breakfast was awful, the worst I have encountered anywhere. In addition to the poor quality meats, cheeses, yoghurt, cheap and nasty hot dogs and discoloured scrambled egg, they serve leftovers from their evening buffet e.g. re-heated fried chicken and chips, meatballs and goulash! Even the fruit juice was poor quality and the "butter" was cheap and nasty margarine. We went for the first two mornings and had bread and honey then binned it and got pastries from a local bakery after that. One of the receptionists asked what we were doing that day and when we told him our plans, he said "I have a better idea" and then tried to sell us a tour! On another day, when I asked him about the public transport company's boat service on the Danube, he said it did not exist and then tried to sell me a boat tour! Wrong - their is a public transport boat, which as a resident, I would have expected the receptionist to be aware of. To summarise, use the Unio if you want a reasonably priced, basic hotel near good transport and local restaurants but try bargaining, I got 5-nights for £193.00 incl the 10% discount for lack of aircon!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelpassion
Reviewed 13 May 2011

Just returned from £ nights at this hotel. Nice to stay in a more 'authentic' Hungarian hotel, . Brilliant location, very generous bedroom sizes. Staff very helpful and friendly. Breakfast is much the same each morning, but adequate. Rooms are clean and very quiet. Would definitely use again, and no problem leaving luggage after checkout.. Great value for money. If there was a hotel bar it would be good to come back to after evening out, and I feel they are missing an opportunity to encourage guests to stop and have a drink and maybe stay for the 'all you can eat' evening dinner including drinks.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 May 2011

We stayed here during Easter Week. The room & bathroom were clean and not cramped. Our room faced the inner courtyard & was very quiet. For 50 euros per night with breakfast I thought it was a good value. I'd think it was an even better value if I got paid in euros! Yes, after a few days the breakfast gets a little old & the coffee could be better. For the location & price I'm glad I picked this hotel. It's a short walk to the Octogon Metro station & from there you can get around very well to see the sights. We enjoyed the Taco Loco Restaurant just around the corner on Erzsebet korut main drag. There is also a little supermarket just accross the street & 24-hour smaller market that doesn't close on the weekend or holidays so you can buy good Hungarian wine or beer to put in the mini-fridge. Most of the fellow guests we heard at breakfast were Germans or Italians that I'm sure enjoyed their euro-power visiting Hungary! If you're on a budget this is a good place to stay. If you're rich & cheap, you'll like it too! The rooms don't have A/C so maybe in a summer heat/wave I guess they could get over warm.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2011

This hotel is fine, but not impressive. The decor is dated and the atmosphere in the breakfast room and lobby is gloomy. The room was fine, a bit worn and as clean as one would want. There is free wifi, but didn't work always. The breakfast is very mediocre, bad coffee and juice with little juice content.
The location is fine and its only five minute walk to Oktagon and Andrassy ut.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 November 2010

I staid here for 3 nights, on a single room with bathroom.

The room was beautiful and spacious, although was an oven... can't imagine why, maybe there was a boiler next to it.
The fourniture of the room was oldstyle, which was nice for me. There were few small imperfections, as the curtain and the aircon device broken - which is a shame as the room in itself is pretty nice.

The hotel is nice, the breakfast room too. Breakfast specifically offer a wide range of salty meals, which changes day by day. Not a good offer of sweet flavours, but I expected this.

The hotel serves typical Hungarian lunch and dinner, in an "all you can eat" menu, unfortunately I had no time to try it, but it might be good. If I had one more day I definitely tried it.

The location is simply great. Few minutes walk from Oktogon square, where you can take the underground. Main tram lines (#4 and6) are also available in walking distance.
Nearby there are some nice danceclubs and pubs, like Merlin and Szimplakert.

The staff is ok, even some of them - I think the owners - did not have the same idea of welcoming and hospitality I might have (and I work on this field !!!!!)

Finally, I would recommend this hotel, for the good ratio quality/price. My rate was very competitive.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo